FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTwo kids in one room

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two kids in one room
    Posted: 03 June 2010 at 9:52pm
We're planning to put the baby into Dan's room but are feeling a little nervous. He'll be 2 years 4 months when it is born.

My plan is to maybe have the baby in there for some day sleeps initially (we have a hammock) and gradually increase that to the night sleeps.

How have other people done it? Did the older kid learn to sleep through the baby waking? Any tips, tricks, what not to dos .....
Mum to two wee boys
Sponsored Links

Helen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2010 at 9:57pm
I haven't done it myself but a friend of mine did. I think she started out with the baby mostly in their room and some day sleeps in the children's shared room.

The children did adjust and both did sleep well although I think it took a small period of adjustment.

Both my children have their own rooms but they are so close that you can hear any noise from one room to the other. Alexandria sleeps through most noise that Amelia makes at night. Better probably that I do and I am at the other end of the house albeit with a monitor.

Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2010 at 10:21pm
I did it, we had 4 of us in the same room right from day one. The girls were in top of each other as well so it was nice and cosy Keira wouldn't have been that much older than Daniel either

It worked really well, apart from maybe the first few weeks where Keira was so excited everytime her baby sister woke she just wanted to see her. We were all pretty tired the first few weeks, and it maybe made things a little harder with a tired toddler. I think after a few weeks the novelty had worn off and she was so tired she would sleep through everything. They both became very good at sleeping through other noises and movement in the room and still are.
I don't think we let Maddi cry as much at night, I would usually feed her to sleep and she may have had a wee grizzle before she dozed off, thankfully she was an alright sleeper.

They are still sharing now (thankfully not with us anymore though) and they still sleep pretty well. They do like to play a wee bit some nights and mornings.. well as soon as one is up...

The biggest problem I had was getting them to have day sleeps, I just can not get them to sleep during the day in the same room. Keira was always a shocking sleeper and had dropped her day sleeps well before Maddi was born, but it was occasionally was a problem when Keira really needed a sleep (now if she ever needs a sleep she will go in our room).

Kids are pretty adaptable so it can definately be done with out too much of a problem. Good luck!

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 7:46pm
We have our two in the same room. Kiara grew out of the bassinet at 2months or so and we put her in the portacot (it was summer) outside henry's room in the hall way while we found a cot for her. This seemed to allow henry to get used to her waking etc.
They are both in cots and hardly ever wake each other up. I can even go in and get kiara is she wakes up during their day sleep before henry has finished his.
I love hearing them in the morning (even if im pretty sure henry wakes kiara up). I hear henry go 'karrrra' 'Heyyyyy' and then you hear kiara gurgle back now. It melts my heart. A couple times ive gone in and brought kiara into my bed when she has woken early and poor henry and panicked when he woke up and she wasn't there

A few of our friends also have two children in together. I haven't really heard of it not working.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:19pm
Aww bless!

I figure most of us shared rooms when we were kids so it is obviously doable and may just be a little rough at first. I think I"ll definitely stick with making it a gradual process of transition (and keep my fingers crossed!)
Mum to two wee boys
gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 9:01pm

Ooooooo good topic - I had the same question!

we have a 2 bedroomed house so there is no other option (other than the hallway ) so good to hear they all adapted eventually!!!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:44pm
gmunster - our daughter slept in the hallway and lounge for a while in her bassinette - not for lack of room, but because it was warmer and further away from us so we couldn't hear her crying (she cried for 8 hours each night).

It is doable, but if you have a terrible sleeper in #2, it can be hell. We tried for the first time when #2 was 4 months and it didn't work at all. Now at 27 months and 9 months they are quite happy. Day sleeps though - Jack sleeps in our room, simply because they wake at different times.
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:15pm

I haven't done it even though I intended to.  My sister did with her first two and it was successful - from memory the baby moved into his sisters room at about 3 months.  She has always let her babies cry a bit to get to sleep (I think she did this right from the early days) so they are all pretty decent self settlers which might have been part of her success.

music_mummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote music_mummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:40am
I was wondering a similar thing but our 2 older girls will be sharing. They will be about 3y 9mo and 20mo and I was wondering how the different timing of night time routines works (stories etc).

DD1 doesn't have a day sleep so that's not an issue but obviously DD2 goes to bed before DD1 and is not always asleep when we are reading DD1 her stories.
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 8:18pm
music mummy - do you normally do stories in their bedroom? We do our is the lounge. Kiara normally goes down about 15mins before henry, simply because after a bath she is shattered and then we read to henry in the lounge, have a cuddle and prayer and then off to bed. You could probably adjust it so they have stories in lounge or your bedroom even if there are other people in the house.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 8:35pm
hmmm we tried, but Isabella was a terrible sleeper and she constantly woke him up, he also woke her up all the time as she is a light sleeper, so none of us were getting sleep.
So we moved her back in with us until our new room is built then she will have her own room.

Edited by Sheza

Post Reply Post Reply