FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhats the best advice you got given

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:12pm
The day I left the hospital my MW said to me:
Don't act or look too competant. Stay in your PJ's all day or until at least midday. The moment you start looking like you can handle it, people just leave you to it.

And the godparents also told me:
Take baby to a Cranial Osteo as soon as you can after his birth. Even if there is nothing "wrong" with him, it will still be beneficial to him and prevent any problems from arising.

Other things I was told is:
Learn to filter information cause everyone has an opinion on everything and you just CAN'T take everything on board.

And follow your instincts. You were born to be a mother. Trust in that.

Sponsored Links

Manda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 5:48pm
At antenatal classes we were told to think of the labour pain as positive pain... you are about to meet your baby its a huge positive. That really helped me in labour. Even with the sh*ttest labour/birth i had... i would certainly do it all over again.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:09pm
In labour I kept telling myself during contractions "One less until I meet Lily!"
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 7:30pm
My mums said to me when i was pregnant - 'Hun, labour is a positive thing, we as mothers have the privilege of bringing our babies into the world. This blessing is only given to women and we are designed for this purpose.' I spent a lot of my labour saying to myself my body is wonderfully made just for this purpose. That and 'i am a baby birthing machine' lol

In the early days mum also said to me if you achieve one thing each day then you are doing a wonderful job. If that one thing is getting dressed, checking the letter box (in pjs), having a shower, making a cup of tea (but not drinking it) , opening the door to a visitor or feeding and spending time with your baby.

She also said about the getting fresh air everyday - even just a trip to the letter box. After the first week she would tell me to get dressed because she needed me to go to the dairy and get her milk lol.

Last but not least advice from me - Mums give some of the best advice out there!!!!!
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:04pm
You can't over feed a breastfed baby.

And (not really advice but a nice thing to say) "all mothers start out not knowing what to do"
I was quite pregnant and freaking out about my lack of baby experience.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:24pm
I think the best advise I was ever given was about the first bowel motion you have after giving birth. Best thing to do is to make a fist with your hand, bring your fist to your mouth (thumb side up) and blow into it. Sounds really really silly, but it uses the same muscles to push out the poo. Its nice and gentle. It takes away the fear of going toilet, which in turn may help stop you from becoming constipated. Because its true, pushing out a baby feels like you're going poos!

Go on, try it

Never compare your baby to how other babies are developing. Each baby develops at their own speed. Some are early movers while others talk sooner etc.

Do what works.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
melopop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melopop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 9:56pm
If in the first few days (or weeks) you may find yourself in tears, wondering what the heck you've done and how the heck you are going to cope. People told me that after the 6 week mark things would get better. I didn't believe them - but it was so true! Every day just gets better and better!

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't think the first few weeks are going to to rainbows and bunny rabbits - chances are they are gonna be tough. It's normal to freak out a bit, just know that things WILL get better!
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:20am
My mum said to me(for after baby is born)

Dont tip toe around the house, just keep everything normal, you want baby to be able to sleep through anything.
Also, put them down to sleep awake, and they will eventually learn how to drift off to sleep themselves(I fully stand by this).

luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 10:17am
Absolutely the best piece of advice was;

No matter how bad a day you or baby is having, no matter how much you don't feel like it, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE for at least 10mins/day. Even if it's just to the corner store. Really really important for your head.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 1:13pm
a piece of advice for labour (assuming no or little pain relief ) - when the pain gets to a point where you think you can't take it anymore, that really is the worst it's going to get! I didn't believe it when I was told before labour, but it's true - I had been going so well with just some gas and coping ok, but then got to the stage where I started asking for an epidural....but I had already gone through transition, and it really didn't get any worse than that! Your body is (generally) designed to cope, and as your body feels pain it releases endorphins which help too.

and for afterwards - lactulose
troutpout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutpout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 1:14pm
Definitely agree with saff! I didn't really go anywhere for the first week, and when I took Miss J to the local cafe for a cuppa, I felt fabulous like I had achieved the best thing ever!

When in labour, if you want to shout and moan and cry, do it! Whatever makes you feel better. And if your birth plan doesnt happen, you still meet your baby at the end of it no matter what. I never thought I'd need to be induced, but when it happened I didn't care because I knew I'd meet my girl

And..., SLEEP! Sleep as much as you can, and ask for help when you need it. People are good to new mums!
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 4:33pm
The best piece of advice I can offer is..

Trust your body and if you feel like something is wrong in labour, tell somebody, scream, yell and shout until they will listen.     I knew my baby wasn't coming out naturally, and after agonising pain for hours on end, they finally believed me.    As long as your baby comes out healthy and you're still alive, it doesn't matter how they come out - whether it's c-section, forceps, vontouse etc. As long as they come out!   
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 9:28am
For labour it was - you've only got to get through the next 5 minutes.

If you think it could go on for hours, it's a killer, but you don't have to get through hours, just the next 5 minutes.
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 11:13am

A tip that helped me a lot with DD's labour was to blow raspberries if I felt myself tensing up.  That sound horses make when they blow out a breath through their lips IYKWIM?  Keeping your mouth open and relaxed helps your cervix to dilate faster.  I actually wrote this tip in my birth plan and asked my MW to remind me to do this - and it really did help!

Edited by kakapo
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 1:25pm
some great advice here ladies

mines not advice as such but....enjoy them as they grow so fast    

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 1:39pm
Hmm , not so much advice others have given me, but what ive learnt myself

1) you are allowed to think labour is unpleasant

2) when it comes to labor , over prepare, then go with the flow

3) your babies are babies for such a brief moment , don't spend that time trying to be a perfect parent in societies eyes , but in your babies eyes

4) don't underestimate the power of a good bath , and a good nap

Smithy77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithy77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:17pm
my mantra was told to me by my midwife after my boy was born - Just take it one feed at a time, don't try to plan too ar ahead. Just to the next feed.
It really helped me get perspective and not try to be a super mum
Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 11:29pm

The best piece of advice (can't remember from where) was that "you will get given conflicting advice - so choose what advice you want to follow, and go from there."

Worst piece of advice: "Sleep when your baby sleeps".  I was so sleep deprived and anxious to sleep, that I couldn't get to sleep grrr! 

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 9:07am
I thought of one last night, when you hit 40 weeks, if you're still pregnant - ENJOY IT! Baby will be out within a couple of weeks and that's it, you might not get the chance to do it again. Once the baby is born you can't put it back. Enjoy the time you'll get to spend without a baby.
Don't wish for your pregnancy to end too quickly either! It's hard being pregnant but then again you're growing a baby!
And majority of people go overdue, but then again don't think you'll go overdue, I was enjoying my time being pregnant and then she came at 39 weeks and I was shocked as I was expecting her to stay in there until at least 41 weeks!
BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 2:36pm
So many great tips!

For me it would be something my Dad said to me, which was "if you are having a bad day with baby, just take it hour by hour, instead of the typical day by day" as sometimes the days run into each other and seem very long, but when you realised a few hours have passed you feel like you have accomplished something"

If you don't do anything else during the day make sure you have a shower using a nice smelling body wash and then put on some moisturiser and maybe a bit a mascara, its suprising how good it makes you feel.

Don't stress over trying to get sleep while baby is sleeping during the day just rest and relax and if you fall asleep great but if not at least you have put your feet up and relaxed for a bit.

For me getting out of the house everyday was a lot of the time just a walk around the yard and sitting out in the sun, fresh air does do wonders.

Housework DOES NOT MATTER and if you can get someone else to do it, then let them.

Just because people say their babies are sleeping through the night does not mean they actually are!

Enjoy every minute, it really does go so fast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>