FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhats the best advice you got given

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RedHeadDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeadDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the best advice you got given
    Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:32am
About your newborn baby? Or labour? Or something that you'd pass onto someone else?

Not stories of what happened just a wee piece of advice?

Some of the best advice I've been given so far is to remember labour is only a day out of your life. It'll seem like forever at the time, but remember its only one day...
Sponsored Links

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:50am
The best piece of advice I ever got was don't listen to everyone else's advice lol Oh and don't read baby books theres too much conflicting and confusing info out there. If you want advice your own Mum is usually the best place to turn :)

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:52am

Best piece of advise I've been given ''is do what's best/works for you"

[/url]

Angel June 2012
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:53am
Great advice Lisa!

Mine was (and is now the standard advice I give to new mums) to trust your instincts - if something feels right, it probably is, and if something feels wrong, it probably is    That applies to labour, birth, parenting etc.

(and sorry to be a downer, but sometimes labour takes more than a day! Just don't want you to say that to yourself and tick over the 24 hour mark and get discouraged!)

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:56am

My midwife had a great piece of advice -

You can make plans etc for your labour, but unfortunately our babies don't read them. At the end of the day they will decide what does and does not happen in labour. Just go with it.

And a really obvious but important one - don't try to do much too early, sleep as much as you can and kick visitors out when you need a rest. They will understand and if they don't, thats their problem

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:29pm
My one thing (for once the baby arrives) is to try and get outside the house at least once a day - for a walk, to the shop, to see a friend nearby ... anything! The more you do it, the easier it becomes and you will feel more connected to the world if you get out there each day
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:30pm
There is no one size fits all guide to parenting. What works for some won't necessarily work for you.

Don't sweat the small stuff!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:38pm
This came from a Chinese Hospital MW, I kept buzzing her the night Lily was born going "OMG is this normal?!" she said "I had my first at 15 in China, I now have 5 kids, just go with the flow, follow your heart, you know what is best and nothing beats a mothers instinct." And I have done exactly that and it has been the easiest 3 and a half months ever! I have absolutely no major problems or complaints!

And also the rest in the early weeks, get people to wait on you hand and foot, rest, rest, rest! Stay in bed with baby as long as you can just feeding and getting to know one another! They don't do much in the fisrt few weeks anyway, just eat sleep and poo really when you think about it!

Also don't be afraid to ask for help, no question is stupid - only stupid one is the question not asked!, in labour you know your body best, if you feel something isn't right or whatever then say so and make sure you are heard!
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:07pm
take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. nod and say thank you even if the advice is unsolicited. file away the good bits in your mind and discard the crap. much easier to nod, smile and walk away than it is to pick fights. (but obviously if they offend dont thank them lol, get your own back lol)

parent your child how you want. dont listen to anyone else (well except your OH i guess hehe) if it feels right for you, then it is

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:08pm
oh and if someone offers to do the dishes, vacuum, clean the bathroom or hang out washing etc.... let them!!!!! (unless its a load of undies/bras etc. hehe)
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:14pm
Trust your instincts.

I was never told this but its something I learnt earlish on. Doesnt mean I dont freak out every now and then and jump on here to check I am doing the right thing

Dont be a hero! The first 3 months are long and hard and tiring. If someone offers to cook you dinner, accept with a smile. If someone offers to clean, accept with a hug. If someone offers to watch your baby while you sleep.. you get my drift.

You dont have to do it all and its ok to ask for help, you will be thankful you did!

Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:15pm
I just agree with what others have said, with follow your heart, your instincts are usually right, you know your baby best and smile and nod when ppl tell you what to do with your baby then do what feels right to you.

For labour much the same thing, you know your body best, listne to what its telling you and then make others listen, if something doesn't feel right then it normally isn't.

And sleep, baby is going to wake you up enough don't let others get away with keeping you up too :P

ETA: being calm helps your baby be calm so trusting your instincts def helps (however babies are wired the way they are so I'm def not saying calm parents equals 100% calm baby just that at the very least you will be more chilled out)

Edited by Kalimirella
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:18pm
oh and last one... bake up a storm before imminent labour. stuff that can freeze and re-heat well. casseroles, mince (can reheat with some pasta, rice, for nachos, tacos) you can freeze cookie dough, so if you have visitors you can slice it up and bake it and have your house smelling yummy. muffins freeze well. so do doughnuts if you buy some (wrap in gladwrap/freezer bags individually/per serve so you dont waste what you dont eat. and frozen veges are your friend, pour into a pot and go (instead of preparing them the cooking etc).
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:52pm
Feel free to ignore any advice
BUT, accept every single offer of help.
Mum to two wee boys
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:08pm
Labour - don't get to weighed down with making a "birth plan". SOmetimes they work, sometimes they don't but you will be less disappointed if yorus isn't too detailed if baby has another idea.

After - fake it unitl you make it. If you appear confident and inc ontrol, lots of people stop giving you dumb advice!

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:29pm
The piece of advice I most often want to give is

"Stop stressing and go with the flow! It's all normal!"

OK, sometimes it's not normal but MOST of the time it is. Your baby may want to feed every two hours around the clock for weeks after he or she is born. It's OK. During growth spurts she or he may want to feed every hour! It's OK. You're baby may sleep through the night for a whole month and then start waking during the night again. It's OK. Etc etc. You don't need to "fix" everything

But I don't often give that advice as I don't want to come across as insensitive! It's easy for me to be laid-back but I realise that everyone is different and some people are just naturally "stressers". I usually only say it if i know the person I'm talking to is usually pretty laid-back also.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by StaceyL StaceyL wrote:

The piece of advice I most often want to give is

"Stop stressing and go with the flow! It's all normal!"

OK, sometimes it's not normal but MOST of the time it is. Your baby may want to feed every two hours around the clock for weeks after he or she is born. It's OK. During growth spurts she or he may want to feed every hour! It's OK. You're baby may sleep through the night for a whole month and then start waking during the night again. It's OK. Etc etc. You don't need to "fix" everything

I completely agree! Don't be worried if everyone elses baby is sleeping through but yours isn't, they will when they are ready to!!

Don't be worried if everyone elses baby is doing fancy tricks, again - when they are ready to!
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:53pm
These have already been said, but a couple of pieces of advice I try to live by:

* Trust yourself, if you think something is right (or wrong) then it probably is.

* Never be afraid to ask for or accept help, there is no such person as 'Super Mum', and you certainly don't get an award for trying to do it all.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:53pm
Oh yeah... Enjoy your baby!! They grow so quick!!
M2K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:10pm
I was going to say, enjoy your baby also

just remember no matter how stressed/tired you are, they will never be this small again... they grow fast so enjoy each stage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>