FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVBAC roll call? (for ease of lurking LOL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
Author
hayley1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:50am
Thanks guys! Im really excited and will update you all as soon as i can. I had my ob appointment on Thursday, it was a total waste of time but never mind, at least i have a supportive mw. She has had a vbac, with an 11 pound baby so very inspiring!
Sponsored Links

Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:13pm
Hi all I just found out I'm pregnant ( a lovely surprise !!) ; ) I have had two em c sects and this time I'm determined to have a vbac. I am being realistic about it as well but I really don't want to go thru c sect again if I can avoid it, especially with 2 little ones to look after. Would love the support and advice from those of you with attempted and successful vbacs.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:15pm
welcome candycane!! there is lots of good info in this thread hope youve got a fabbo midwife!!

+1 May 09 Angel
Blondegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:39pm
Welcome Candy, what were the reasons for your emergency c-sections (if you don't mind me being nosy).
Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:56pm
Thanks Emmi and Blondgirl...I have a mw in mind that I really want and I'm just waiting for her to get back to me , we had a good chat and she is very pro vbac and she attempted vba2c herself. The one thing that concerns me is she mentioned I would need continual monitoring and I just don't know how I feel about that yet.     My reasons for having the 2 c sects was no1 was in fetal distress and no.2 was not budging and I stalled at 4 cm. there are things that I have learned though from these births and feel I would deal with things much better with more knowledge this time
hayley1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 7:10pm
Welcome candy, i think most hospitals require continuous monitoring for vbacs but you can refuse! I talked to my mw about it and we have decided to do intimitent monitoring and as lomg as everything is looking good when i am off the monitors i can do what i like for example have a bath.
One week to go for me. My MW is away this weekend so im hoping it doesnt happen until monday as i would hate to not have her there. She has had a home vbac herself with an 11 pound baby so i find that very inspiring. Apparently i am carrying a very big baby too, not sure how big as i didnt want a growth scan but i hope his size doesnt make vbac any more difficult!
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 9:23pm
They'll probably lean on you fairly heavily for continuous monitoring after 2 c-sections. BUT that doesn't mean you have to be lying on your back. And like Haley1, My MW said 'continuous' meant regular rather than non-stop so were going to do it by hand every 2nd contraction once things got crunchy so I could be in a pool or whatever. Unfortunately I was quite early (34 weeks) so they wanted truly continuous monitoring (more for bubs than me) but I was still able to kneel, be on a Swiss ball, be on all 4's on the bed etc with the straps on (the straps being for the monitoring thingy). The MWknew I didn't want to be stuck on my back. Biggest down side for me was being able to hear bubs heartbeat almost stop during contractions so I knew he was getting stressed and worrying about that distracted me from pushing. Next time I would ask if they could turn it down so I could focus better.

Edited to make more sense.

Edited by thesaff
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
fadeless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:28pm
Hayley - dont be too caught up on size in my experience if bubs is in a good position no matter the size its so much easier to birth, all my VBAC bubs have been bigger than my 'stuck' c/s bubs.

Welcome candy :)
DD 9 ~ DD 8 ~ DS 7 ~ DS 5 ~ DS 2 ~ DS 14mths ~ DD 3mths
Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:19pm
All the best Hayley you must be very close now!

I'm sooo happy I have found a truly vba2c supportive MW! Which seems that it's not so easy to do. But when we had a chat basically we had the same thoughts on birth and she's happy for me to stay at home as long as poss and then I will have the monitor( possibly fetal scalp monitor) and I will be able to have showers in between. Yay! That's one obstacle out of the way!
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:47am
Hi there. I'm planning a VBAC and though I'm a bit off from my OB consult I thought I'd ask if anyone had suggestions on what to ask my MW, in terms of what she'll support, and the OB.
Some of these are probably things I should have asked when I was interviewing my MW, though I know she's at least nominally VBAC supportive. I had a very difficult time finding a VBAC friendly MW at all for some reason, so after about a dozen different midwives it was like, 'oh you'll support a VBAC AND you seem ok so I choose you!'.

Here's what I have so far: what can I expect my VBAC labour to look like? Will I be allowed to labour in the pool, move around, be off the bed?
Which of the typical OB guidelines (coming to hospital when labour starts, IV line, constant monitoring) do you recommend I follow? What kind of monitors does the hospital have?(I entertained the idea of a HBAC, but as finding a VBAC MW was so hard I settled for that)
How involved will the OBs be when I am in labour?
Will there be a labour time limit?

Any other ideas? I've read most of the thread to see what others have said.
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 1:34pm
Hi Bky I see your in Chch too, when I had my 1st try at vbac in Chch woman's both my mw and ob insisted on continual monitoring I really wish I hadn't agreed to it as it was very difficult to find a comfortable position to labour in, so just something to think about. They said can't use pool but possibly shower, and stay at home as long as poss. The ob said I should go in once labour established so ask about that one. I had no time limits but make sure you ask the ob. All the best
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:52pm
Bky, its YOUR labour, you tell THEM how you are going to do it. Look into the interventions they may want to use (monitoring, ARM, blah blah) and let them know what your ok with and what your not....
Its your body, your baby, your right

+1 May 09 Angel
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 3:25pm
It's really going to have to come down to what my MW will support me with. There's only so many battles I can fight, and I feel like being in labour is so not a time I want to have to argue my case.

Candy- What kind of monitoring equipment does ChCh womens have do you know? Last time I was set to use the pool and had the initial external monitoring via the belly band and that picked up bad decelerations, confirmed later by the internal monitor (and then heavy meconium and failure to progress enough given the decelerations and meconium = CS).
My first choice would be every 15-30 minutes or so, then something wireless and waterproof for constant monitoring, but I could be ok with just wireless. Before, once I got on the monitor I wasn't allowed to do anything but lay on my back or side on the bed and I had to hold still as well so very not eager for a repeat of that.

Certainly going to ask my MW that (about the equipment) as she'd have a reasonable idea having done VBACs at ChChWH.

Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 4:00pm
For me that is definitely what I would try to avoid being on your back on the bed. I was at women's in 2010 and they had ctg ( belly band electric monitoring), and fetal scalp monitor and then a hand held like what mw uses at appts. I'm pretty sure they don't have wireless as I would be after for my upcoming both in jan if I could! I know welly hospital have one so not sure why Chch doesn't, would be great for us vbacers though. I really wanted to use the pool (with monitoring in there) but they said no way, presumably as there are no monitors for that.
I know what you mean with the mw as you would actually have to find a new one to get all those non standard care things. Not many MW's would go for it!
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:53pm
I'd think if they'd go for intermittent monitoring there would be no reason (other than policy, which isn't a real reason IMO) I couldn't use the pool as they have handheld waterproof dopplers for pool use. Oh well, will wait to see what MW says.

Really the worst part of having a c-section is being labeled high risk and having to argue my case for the future. Some days I just want to curl up in a ball and not have to think about fighting for what I think will give me the best chance.

Blondegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:15pm
I know what you mean Bky about being labelled high risk and having to fight for everything. A good friend of mine just had a VBAC at middlemore as well and was made to have constant monitoring and I am just dreading that, but am prepared to fight for it and delay going to hospital for as long as possible.
Candycane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candycane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:12pm
With the pool use it was the fact that they insisted on continual monitoring and because they didn't have the waterproof wireless it wasn't an option as far as they were concerned! But make sure you check with your mw as she may be fine with using handheld Doppler
hayley1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:33am
Hi all, just wanted to let you know our little boy was born 31 may by VBAC! Will come on when i can with my birth story. The quick version is that i started contractions at 3.30pm and he was born with help from a suction cup at 6pm. It was very intense but amazing and so worth it. Oh and he weighed 8lb 13oz
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:03pm
Aaahhhh fantastic hayley! Can't wait to hear your story! Hope things are going well

+1 May 09 Angel
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 11:58am
umm what IS continual monitoring? I thought it was a belly band thing, I didn't realise it might be a scalp thing?
And at what stage do most people go in to hospital. last time i was not in til 7cm and then was pretty much straight into theatre (makes me glad i went in when i did!). was thinking that i might try for the same this time but 7cm was certainly established labour when you are supposed to go in right?

Oct 11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>