FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCot to big kid bed, when?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cot to big kid bed, when?
    Posted: 04 June 2010 at 10:27pm
There is going to be 13-14 months between my two bubs and I am wondering what on earth will happen when number 2 needs the cot.
I tend to breed big and very long babies, I am hoping though that number 2 will last in our cariboo basinet for the first 4months. But that will mean DD1 needs to be in a big kid bed at 18months.

Is 18months too young? What are the signs of rediness, how will I know etc? I don't know much about18 month olds, would it be safe?

The other option is for one of then to go into a our portacot...but would be interested in what you all have to say!

TIA!
Sponsored Links

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:00pm
We plan on moving C into a "big bed" in July when we come back from our holidays. He will be almost 19m. I want to do it then as I'm due in October but could have the baby as early as August (if Callum is anything to go by) so want to be prepared "just in case" the baby does come early. Ideally, the new baby will be in our moses basket for the first month or two (or longer if it's early) before going in the cot. I'm hoping by then C will be well settled in his big boy bed and will be happy that the cot is "for the baby."

My girlfriend's DS1 is a couple of months older than C and she is 32wks pregnant with #2. She has just moved her DS into a big bed. They bought it together and he helped her put it together and apparently he took to it straight away. She said his day sleeps have been a bit more difficult, some days he falls asleep on the floor by the door but night times have been surprisingly easy so far. Was good to hear and I'm hoping C will adapt just as easily. Fingers crossed anyway!

Safety-wise, I'm confident C will be OK in a big bed. He can climb up and down on the sofa (about the same height as we'll be getting a toddler bed anyway) safely and knows to go backwards etc. He doesn't move around much once he is asleep and we have a safety gate between his room and our stairs.

I guess we'll see what happens in about 4 weeks time!
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:02pm
DD will be going into a big bed as soon as her room is finished, she'll be 17ish months. I think its more about personality and development than age really, we talk to her about it all the time, and she has her day time sleeps on our bed, and practices getting up onto and off of our bed. I think she'll be fine, but I suppose I don't know til we get there!

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 8:10am
Daniel was about 17 months, we set up 2 pillows to form a L shape to make sure he didn't roll out of bed and it made it nice and cozy tothe point he wont have his pillows any other way now lol but we also put the cot matress on the floor just incase he fell out he had something to land on.
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:38am
We moved ours at 19 mo, cause we needed the cot, and he did really well, we put a chair with arms by his along side of the bed at the head to give the illusion of side and also to help him climb into bed and he hasn't had much of a problem. At the beginning we would take him to bed and give him the choice of where he wanted to sleep, bed or cot. Once he started choosing bed we haven't looked back. Also he is a huge mover so has fallen out a few times but he would just climb back into bed, and we had a cot mattress on the floor.
Also you can buy a side rail thing to put on the bed to stop him falling out and to give security, my SIL used one and loved it.
And as a bonus he hasn't worked out that he can get out of bed by himself, so even if he throws a tanty about his arvo nap he will just lie on his bed and eventually go to sleep.

Edited by JoJames
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:51am
DS moved into his "big boy" bed at 18 months and finally started sleeping thru the night!

He was having to move to a new room as the new baby was having his room. We decorated/set up his room while Mum looked after him for the day and transferred him over there that night. WE shut the door to his old room so he couldn't even go in there for about 6 weeks. By then he was settled in his room.

We used the safety sleep for the first week to prevent him falling out and in the first 3 months in only feel out once.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 12:12pm
We put DD inot a bed @ 13 mnths.
We had pillows beside the bed for a month or so but she only fell out twice.
She was a total worm in her cot, moving all around the place but settled really quickly in her bed
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by misscheeky misscheeky wrote:

We put DD inot a bed @ 13 mnths.
We had pillows beside the bed for a month or so but she only fell out twice.
She was a total worm in her cot, moving all around the place but settled really quickly in her bed

That's reasuring. I should have mentioned that she is in a sleeping bag, and whenever we put her in sheets/blankets....she is out instantly. She doesnt fight sleep or anything, she just wont stayunder blankets.

Well, I am feeling a little less stressed about the situation, it is still at least 7-8 months away, so I am sure many things will change between now and then anyways.
oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:27pm
We put ours into a big bed at about 14 months. We are still using the safety sleep with her but she adjusted fine to the move. Has just discovered she can get herself out of bed now though
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:41pm
Jack was 18 months, and besides the normal getting in and out a million times, it was fine. I did it by myself too as DH was away for a few months.

Ava went from bassinet to portacot simply because the cot was in the room they were to share and she wasn't sleeping through - she finally went to her cot at 6-7 months.
Mel24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:51pm
Natalie was only 10 months old. She refused to sleep in a bassinet and then refused to sleep in a cot. So we tried a big bed out of desperation and it worked. She is now 16 months old and has only fallen out of bed once although she still is in a sleeping bag.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 6:27pm
Ethan doesnt sleep under any blankets either..glad someone elses child is the same:) he is 27 months and still in his cot..we have tried but it hasnt worked though we havent shut his door and with the new baby didnt want him crying for long in there.. so yeah we bought a cheap cot off someone off here which has been brilliant:) but most of our friends kids were two ish and several were 18 months or so and fine.
Mum to two amazing boys!
pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 7:03pm
So you guys would reccommend sleeping bags wven when in a big bed? They can kindo f walk in them yeah? We need to invest in some bigger gogo bags...but wasnt keen if she was only going to be in there for the remainder of this year.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:10pm
Jake was 19months as Morgan was due the week he turned 2 so we moved him into his new bedroom well in advance then put him into the bed so we could get the cot out. We had no problems. We kept him in a sleeping bag, and put a rolled up towel under the fitted sheet so he wouldnt fall out (after he fall out the first night!) and at the start had his pillow down the side too. He was in a sleeping bag for ages, and he still has NEVER got out of bed!! And he's 3 this month! He just yells for us when he wakes from his nap and in the morning!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
M.i.s.s.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.i.s.s.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by pekay pekay wrote:

So you guys would reccommend sleeping bags wven when in a big bed? They can kindo f walk in them yeah? We need to invest in some bigger gogo bags...but wasnt keen if she was only going to be in there for the remainder of this year.

hehee yip, jade 'shuffles' in hers, she comes in & gets me up in the morning. its so cute.
 Post Reply Post Reply