FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwater birth? q’s from a 1st time mum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water birth? q’s from a 1st time mum
    Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:10am
so i'm considering water birth (at hosp) and have a few kinda niave questions to ask... need to find out if MW will do them first ...

1) so is it like a pool or a large bath?
2) is it just you, DP/DH and MW? or are the medical staff around as well?
3) how does the MW check your progress without getting you out?
4) is gas the main pain relief option? can you use pethedine or does that make you too drowsy?
5) does your DP/DH normally get in the pool with you? or is there too much gross stuff floating around!
6) do you get totally naked? i know i'm PG and going to be in labour, but surely you're still allowed some dignity in front of the MW & medical team?!
7) they still take baby away straight away for MW to do all her checks?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions... but anyone who has had one or planning to that can help?

May 2012
Sponsored Links

Nellsmc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nellsmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 8:27am
I had my DD in a birthing pool hadn't planned to but didn't want to get out!

The one I had was kind of the size of a spa pool.

Just me in the pool and DH and MW at the side. I used DH's arm as my support while pushing rather than just the side of the pool.

3) How does the MW check your progress without getting you out?
I didn't need any checks to be done (eg how many cms) but had the doppler which goes underwater checking the heartbeat a couple of time!

4) is gas the main pain relief option? can you use pethedine or does that make you too drowsy?
The birthing unit I was in only had gas but the water was so good I didn't need it.

5) does your DP/DH normally get in the pool with you? or is there too much gross stuff floating around!
Can't answer that but after seeing water at the end I wouldn't have asked him to get in

6) do you get totally naked? I did was more comfortable and didn't want to get my top wet. I think some people wear togs??

7) they still take baby away straight away for MW to do all her checks? Nope i got to hold DD for a while before we got out to deliver placenta etc

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 8:34am
1) depends where you go - where I was it was a large bath... but others I seen a big like spa bath type pools...

2) I was on my own, but you can have DP in the pool too... up to you...

3) I didn't have my progress checked the whole time in the pool, I understand they base it on what you say about when your ready to push etc... however, I eventually had to get out to be checked due to contractions slowing down...

4) Only gas,after I had pethedine I wasn't allowed back in the pool...

5) they have a sieve (sp) for any gross floaty stuff... we never needed it, but I couldn't give birth in the pool after they found meconium in the waters...

6) I didn't give a toss about what I was wearing and jumped in nakey... but you can def wear whatever you feel comfortable in...

7) I'm not sure how quickly they do checks in the water... but it wasn't straight away for us out of the water....
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 9:40am

I started in the water and was hoping for a water birth, unfortunately DS had other ideas and we ended up in theatre for a ventouse delivery.

1) so is it like a pool or a large bath? Ours was a large spa bath
2) is it just you, DP/DH and MW? or are the medical staff around as well? It was just me, DH and my Mum. Eventually we did have a heap of other staff, but that was due to complications.
3) how does the MW check your progress without getting you out? My MW used an underwater doppler. She checked how many cm dliated I was before I got in and didn't again until I got out after the complications. I guess the rest of the time she was estimating on my pain levels and timings of contractions
4) is gas the main pain relief option? can you use pethedine or does that make you too drowsy? When in the bath I didn't use anything
5) does your DP/DH normally get in the pool with you? or is there too much gross stuff floating around!   It was just me, there wouldn't have been enough room for DH too because I was constantly moving around to try to get comfortable (or as comfortable as possible anyway)
6) do you get totally naked? i know i'm PG and going to be in labour, but surely you're still allowed some dignity in front of the MW & medical team?! I was naked. It was so much more comfortable than being restricted by any clothing, I do look back on the photos and cringe a bit though. Next time I'll wear my bikini top, I had packed it but once I was at the hospital all I wanted was to get in the pool
7) they still take baby away straight away for MW to do all her checks? Can't help with that one sorry.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 5:47pm
The way things were going for us when I arrived it looked like we would end up with a water birth but things slowed down for me in the water so I ended up delivering on the bed.
But have some answers...

Like a spa bath at Wellington Hosp.

It was just me, dp and the mw. No medical staff were needed as things were progressing nicely, I didn't plan a water birth but mw said if I was happy to stay in there to birth I could.

The HB I had to stand up and she'd check with the doppler and she always asked me to get on the bed for internals.

I was only allowed gas while in the bath, but never used it as I found the water very relaxing.

DP was allowed in but didn't have spare clothes.

6) do you get totally naked? i know i'm PG and going to be in labour, but surely you're still allowed some dignity in front of the MW & medical team?!
I had a singlet on and knickers but honestly in the end you just want baby out so you end up not caring iygwim, on the bed I just had a huge nightie but when she was born I took it off so was naked anyway. They've seen it all so don't worry!

Nope, she was born and placed straight on me until the cord was cut and placenta born then they took her away after about 30 mins.

My advice is keep an open mind incase you have to get out. I didn't plan one and found the water great but things slowed down for me in the water so I had to get out and ended up using the gas and getting an epi (but that wore off in time for pushing!)

Like I said we weren't prepared for one...
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 8:26pm
I'd say it was more like a small spa, 2mx2m and about 1m deep.. I think...wasn't paying too much attention on the bath :P

2) is it just you, DP/DH and MW? or are the medical staff around as well? Just DH and I and the MW

3) how does the MW check your progress without getting you out? Dunno, but she seemed to know just by looking at me where I was at...

I really didn't need anything else, the bath is totally relaxing.

5) does your DP/DH normally get in the pool with you? or is there too much gross stuff floating around! Mine didn't, I needed him on the outside to hold me up, I was hanging over the side.

I had a tog top on but really its up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

7) they still take baby away straight away for MW to do all her checks? I sat in the pool for about 45 minutes before the cut the cord and got the placenta out. Even when I had my first out of the water they left her with me for a fair while.

Good Luck!

Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 8:48am
Some of these are things that you need to discuss with your midwife (eg monitoring in the bath - you should still be monitored to the usual standard when using the bath, it just might be in a different manner). You can visit the nearest hospital/ birthing centre to check out the baths (sometimes there are lots of different types in one facility so good to actually look at them). You can wear whatever you like in labour!

Ask for a copy of the hospital/ birthing centre water birth policy - that might answer some of your questions.

Generally if the baby looks well the MW wont whisk it away for a check straight away.   You could outline your preference in your birth plan! Unless the baby is unwell there is no immediate need to know its weight and length!
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:49pm
Ours was like a shallow (as deep as a big bath) small pool. You may be able to go look at the hospital, i birthed at a birthing unit and went for a visit before hand.

Our it was just me, dh, my other support person and mw. They will call in another midwife at the end. And other med personal if needed, though i would think if you need other medical people you wouldn't be allowed to be in the pool anymore as they will only let you birth in the pool under very 'normal' labour.
I was never checked while in the pool. There isn't really a huge need for internals. But if you did want one you could get out. I found i wanted to get out to go to the bathroom and also for a bit of a break.

Sorry don't know i had no drugs

Dh could have gotten in with me, there was nothing in the pool, and just a slightly murkey water when my waters broke. But i wanted my own space. My dh helped me from the side to get into the positions i wanted.

When i got in during early labour i had a baggy top on and my bra but after the first time i got out i just stripped off. I have the sticky clothes feeling wet clothes have.

Even if you don't have a water birth they don't generally take baby away unless there is a reason. My first was 36weeks so he was taken away but my second who was full term i just pulled up to my belly and then cuddled. Had help getting out and then handed her to dh while i birthed placenta.

Anyway hope that helps.
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 0mrs0ana0 0mrs0ana0 wrote:

1) so is it like a pool or a large bath? mine was like a big paddling pool with higher sides that the MW supplied - homebirth though so don't know if they would let your MW bring one into a hospital or not

2) is it just you, DP/DH and MW? or are the medical staff around as well? again, homebirth so obviously no med staff... but i just had MW and DH there

3) how does the MW check your progress without getting you out? i got into the pool about half way through labour. i remember getting out once so she could check how dilated i was, and then when i was pushing she just leaned in once to see if she could feel the head or not
4) is gas the main pain relief option? can you use pethedine or does that make you too drowsy? no pain relief options at home but i thought the water was amazing

5) does your DP/DH normally get in the pool with you? or is there too much gross stuff floating around! DH stayed firmly by my head at the side of the pool but until the actual birth i don't think the water was that gross. i wouldn't mind asking if he'll get in with me this time just to try it out

6) do you get totally naked? i know i'm PG and going to be in labour, but surely you're still allowed some dignity in front of the MW & medical team?! while i was still concerned about my dignity i had underwear on but soon gave that away and just wore a crop top that i took off to bf for the first time

7) they still take baby away straight away for MW to do all her checks? MW pulled him out of the water for me and placed him on my chest for skin on skin time and for DH to cut the cord - didn't take away for checks until he'd had his first feed and i'd birthed the placenta - so basically, once I was ready to get out of the pool

I'm sure I'll think of other questions... but anyone who has had one or planning to that can help?
check out aquabub for a heap of waterbirth stories and to see what some of the pools can look like...

Edited by gypsynita
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 3:45pm
Wow thanks Ladies!
All of your replies have been really helpful, it's great to hear that you had good experiences also
I didn't realise you could also ask to have a look around... do you go on a tour as part of your ante-natal classes? I'm doing mine with the local parents centre rather than at the hosp itself.

Cheers again

May 2012
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 4:12pm
Some classes do, but ours didn't. Instead, my MW usually arranges to have one of the routine appts at the hospital instead of her clinic so we can have a look and discuss one on one with her - I'm sure yours would do the same?
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 4:21pm
I did my antenatel classes with Parent Centre and we went for a tour of the hospital, some time around 30 weeks I think it was

CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 4:45pm
Yeah advice has been really helpful, I have been curious myself, sounds like the water really helps, I am keen to try it for sure! Apparently there is a much less chance of ripping in the water too, will be nice not to need stitching down there, must hurt when looing for days afterwards!
And some of my pregnant friends were given tours of the hospital by their midwives (Wgtn area), so I expect that is the norm.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 6:27pm
My classes didn't but my mw gave me a tour of the hospital when I was 35 weeks, but I had already been on a practice run at 32 weeks so knew it all...

CJ I just swished the water round, closed my eyes, told myself 'one less, one less, one less...' with each contraction and it did help imo but my contractions I won't say slowed but I started dilating slower in the tub.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 6:57pm
I thought I'd add this since I'm just lurking.. be prepared that water while it may feel fantastic to lots of women, it doesn't to all. I couldn't stand water and made me feel worse. But its like any birth plan don't have everything set in concrete in your mind cause disappointment sucks.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 8:14pm
Yup definitely agree, it's best to be prepared for all possible situations and keep an open mind.
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

I thought I'd add this since I'm just lurking.. be prepared that water while it may feel fantastic to lots of women, it doesn't to all. I couldn't stand water and made me feel worse. But its like any birth plan don't have everything set in concrete in your mind cause disappointment sucks.

Yeah good point, I'm definately not having a concrete birth plan, a close friend of mine who is an OB (overseas) said that women with totally unflexible birth plans are a nightmare to deal with and can delay them getting the appropriate treatment... my MW is definately a go with the flow kinda person, so I'm just gonna with it. Even if I just use the pools for pain relief? The other thing I have to be aware of is that there is limited birthing pools at the hosp I'll be giving birth at, so it might not even be possible.
So I guess I'll just have it on my birth plan, but everything is up for negotiation

May 2012
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 3:05pm
I just kept an open mind as it was my first and I had no idea what to expect, my mw asked me what I would like and I just said I was open to whatever and would see on the day. I had the perfect birth imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply