FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBF and consuming alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DeePa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeePa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BF and consuming alcohol
    Posted: 27 June 2010 at 4:52pm
Hi,
My bubs is 4 months old and I am exclusively BF. I am also now learning to express milk in the build up to having a day/night with the girls.

Does anyone know the rules about BF and consuming alcohol?

Can I have a half of glass of wine with dinner (about 7-8pm) and then BF bubs at 5am the following morning?

When I do have a night out with the girls (maybe looking at 3 glasses of wine max) when can I safely start to BF my baby?

Any advice appreciated?

Thank you
Dee
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:16pm
I guess you have to be comfortable with what you decide to do.

I usually have a vodka & soda (tall glass) and usually wind up feeding Cooper at 11pm or 12pm.

When he was little I used to drink a beer everynight to help with milk production.

With Alia I drank a glass of red wine, helped her sleep I took this info from LLL, it was an old book but outdated, but I checked with my Dr & he was fine with it.

If I drank 3 glasses I'd have expressed off for that 5am feed cause 3 glasses would make me drunk.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:55pm
What I heard from the girls in my forum was that the alcohol in your milk will be the same roughly as what's in your blood stream. So if you would be able to drive then you should be okay to BF (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Just make sure when you're counting drinks you count "standard" drinks which for wine is a whole lot smaller than many people think.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 9:57pm
I to heard that the amount of alcohol in your milk is the same as what's in your bloodstream.
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:57am
I think you need to allow about an hour per standard drink, and yes, this is sometimes a much smaller amount than we are used to actually seeing - check the label on the bottle or can and also do your research as to how many mls make up a standard drink of wine / beer / spirits etc.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 2:50pm
Allow an hour per standard drink, and start counting the hours from when you FINISH drinking.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 5:32am
Hi
This link may be helpful:
breastfeeding and alcohol

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by FreeSpirit FreeSpirit wrote:

Allow an hour per standard drink, and start counting the hours from when you FINISH drinking.

Yeah this is what I got told.

I have also been told that less than 2% of alcohol oes trough to your milk and because your milk can renew itself then the alcohol will dissipate from your milk after the above specified time.

Does that make sense?

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 9:45pm
wow that is all interesting reading..I'm choosing not to while i bf..but good to know it is possible.

Edited by ElfsMum
Mum to two amazing boys!
Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Mum2Mac Mum2Mac wrote:

Originally posted by FreeSpirit FreeSpirit wrote:

Yeah this is what I got told.

I have also been told that less than 2% of alcohol oes trough to your milk and because your milk can renew itself then the alcohol will dissipate from your milk after the above specified time.

Does that make sense?

I was told that too.

Missed MC July 2011
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:56pm
I had a night out on Monday, I chose not to BF for 24 hours because of the amount I drank. (10ish drinks) You don't have to express and throw the milk out because your body will be removing the alcohol from your system, so yes once you've got the alcohol out of your blood you should be fine to BF.

Oh and also be prepared to get drunk rather quickly. After a year of no alcohol it gets to you quicker than you'd expect
myonlineself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonlineself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 8:41pm
I've just started not really worrying about it (naughty I know), I'm not really much of a drinker, but have started having the odd glass of wine or beer here and there and not really worrying about when it is in relation to feeding times. The amount that goes into your milk is next to nothing from what I've read....

After drinking nothing for well over a year, one glass is enough ;-)

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 10:24am
Originally posted by myonlineself myonlineself wrote:

I've just started not really worrying about it (naughty I know), I'm not really much of a drinker, but have started having the odd glass of wine or beer here and there and not really worrying about when it is in relation to feeding times. The amount that goes into your milk is next to nothing from what I've read....

Same here.
I have a couple of glasses of wine, a couple of times a week. Usually in the evenings once DS is down for the night - which gives me a good 10 or so hours to metabolise it before his next feed at 7am.

I do have the odd mid-afternoon or lunch time wine on occasion too and figure the amount that goes through to the milk is miniscule enough not to worry about.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Joscia Joscia wrote:

Originally posted by myonlineself myonlineself wrote:

Same here.
I have a couple of glasses of wine, a couple of times a week. Usually in the evenings once DS is down for the night - which gives me a good 10 or so hours to metabolise it before his next feed at 7am.

A couple of glasses....lol, I would be so tiddly if I had that much...I had a beer the other night and was all dozey, I reckon a glass of wine and I wouldn't be able to lift the glass afterwards. So sad....at least I am a super cheap drunk now. Had baileys a couple of weeks ago and had to let DH finish it off.

Anyway, totally off topic but I read somewhere that the breast is a great filter so the amount of alcohol must be pretty minimal...well unless you went crazy (like had 3 drinks hahhahahahahah...joke btw)

Oct 11
Lali88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lali88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:00pm
i express when i get home and in the morning before i feed my baby youll need to anyway your boobs will rock solid after a night out if your exclusivley b/f i dnt knw if you have to but i feel better that i have
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:02pm
I heard the one hour per standard drink rule as well. I'm not one to drink more than about a glass (of wine) each time so I don't worry about it too much. Haven't noticed any bad effects in any of my girls, either at the time or with their intelligence now.

I don't like beer and I avoid spirits because their alcohol content is so much higher. Don't really wanna get a taste for it in between being pg and bf so I just don't go there. But that's probably largely coz I didn't start drinking alcohol until I was past my teens.
 Post Reply Post Reply