FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAmended Abortion Bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:09am

The reasons for termination are as varied as the women seeking abortions, I guess  it comes down to whose life is of more value the women's or the unborn baby.
Choosing to terminate isn't an easy decision and women who do decide to end their pregnancy should get all the support they need and not be made to jump through beaurecratic hoops to do so.  It's this part of the abortion amendedment bill I'd like to see investigated further.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:10am

Edited by Kazper

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:40am
Kazper, I think you're missing the point, and people that have been through the torment of having (or choosing) to abort a baby don't really need that sort of reaction brought into it. It's hard enough for them regardless.
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:54am

Edited by Kazper

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 11:20am
Have taken away my last two posts as you were right emz. It is not me to be like that and should really keep my views within check.

I owe an apology and hope I didn't offend anyone. I think it is a very controversial topic.

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 12:51pm
It's a difficult issue for me to think about. But either way I think that women should get extensive counselling both before and after making such a huge decision.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 1:13pm
I personally don't agree with anything that makes abortion easier except in real medical circumstances and by that I mean serious problems with the baby or serious physical problems with the women meaning continueing the pregnancy could cause her death.

I don't buy into the whole mental/emotional reasons, I believe if your mental/emotional state is that bad how could going through with an abortion ever make that better, surely having the baby and adopting it out would be better for the women as well as obviously better for the baby.

I think when women fall pregnant unexpectedly abortion should be the absolute last option, not the first option it seems to be for some. I also think easy access to abortion leads to carelessness with contraception and believe not enough is spoken to young girls about the huge emotional toll that having an abortion has on someone.

And to answer the question about whose life is more important, I believe the babies is, the baby is the innocent party, the women decided to have sex and when you have sex regardless of whether you are using contraception or not there is always a risk of pregnancy and if you are incapable for whatever reason of either raising the baby yourself or at least carry to term and then adopting the baby out to someone else who can look after the baby then you really should abstain from sex. That simple.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 1:35pm

Adoption isn't all its cracked up to be either, thank fully we don't live in 1970 any more and women do have more options. 

Abortion is a fact of life its going to happen whether people like it or not, making it safe and accessible should be what's most important.  

There isn't the funding for the type of counselling your advocating littlebug, and its not always necessary.

The abortion as contraceptive argument doesn't hold much merit, (unless your in the camp that views the morning after pill as a form of abortion) there are probably a few cases of women who do this, not many.

For most women seeking to have an abortion its not an easy decision or a the only option to consider. I guess its like most things in life you do what's best for you.

Anyways the OP wasn't ever meant to be a debate whether abortion should be allowed, but how its accessed.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 1:49pm
The counselling issue.. I never think that counselling should be forced upon a person. We were offered counselling afterwards, DH chose to talk to the social worker once I think, I didn't because its not something I felt comfortable with talking to with a complete stranger..

It should be available, but not complusory.

I think there are very valid emotional reasons why someone might want an abortion.. how about rape victims or sexual abuse victims.. they might be physically able to carry a child but my god what a mind f*** it would be to carry that child and give birth to it..
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 2:03pm
And I was just stating that I don't agree with amending it in this way and giving my reasons for why.

I wasn't so much saying that abortion is used as contraception more just that the consequences of unplanned pregnancy is different to what it use to be and I believe this leads to carelessness with contraception.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 2:14pm
(wasn't having a go, just stating a reason I know I'd want an abortion for purely emotional reasons)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 2:22pm

Originally posted by two_boys two_boys wrote:

I wasn't so much saying that abortion is used as contraception more just that the consequences of unplanned pregnancy is different to what it use to be and I believe this leads to carelessness with contraception.

Sorry but I disagree with this statement, women have been trying to give themselves abortions or seeking abortionists as long as man kind has been having sex. 

It's only really since the pill was invented that women have any real control over the use of contraceptive.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 6:37pm
Not trying to turn this in to a debate but I think you are misreading what I'm saying. I think in general, in our time, getting pregnant does not have the same consequences that it use to. I.e pregnant out of marriage, pregnant when single, pregnant to mulitple fathers or fathers unknown is not an unusual or even socially unacceptable thing anymore. Therefore the consequences of getting pregnant unplanned are different to what they use to be which leads to women (and men) being less careful about contraception and sex in general, leading to more unplanned pregnancies and therefore unfortunately more abortions. And the easier it is to access abortion the more socially acceptable that becomes and I don't think that is a good path to go down as a society.
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:06pm

I personally don't agree with anything that makes abortion easier except in real medical circumstances and by that I mean serious problems with the baby or serious physical problems with the women meaning continueing the pregnancy could cause her death.

I don't buy into the whole mental/emotional reasons, I believe if your mental/emotional state is that bad how could going through with an abortion ever make that better, surely having the baby and adopting it out would be better for the women as well as obviously better for the baby.

I think when women fall pregnant unexpectedly abortion should be the absolute last option, not the first option it seems to be for some. I also think easy access to abortion leads to carelessness with contraception and believe not enough is spoken to young girls about the huge emotional toll that having an abortion has on someone.

And to answer the question about whose life is more important, I believe the babies is, the baby is the innocent party, the women decided to have sex and when you have sex regardless of whether you are using contraception or not there is always a risk of pregnancy and if you are incapable for whatever reason of either raising the baby yourself or at least carry to term and then adopting the baby out to someone else who can look after the baby then you really should abstain from sex. That simple.

Oh the comment made about this not being 1970s please remember that a lot of us would not be here today if abortion was the main option back in 1970. How many of us have family members - even great great grandparents that were adopted. I'm sure your not saying that it was in the best interests of those babies at the time to be terminated!?! and if that is what is being said then I would not be here and nor would my daughter. It's funny how such little importance is put on the innocence of a baby, but its different with children and adults.

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:32pm

Not trying to turn this in to a debate but I think you are misreading what I'm saying. I think in general, in our time, getting pregnant does not have the same consequences that it use to. I.e pregnant out of marriage, pregnant when single, pregnant to mulitple fathers or fathers unknown is not an unusual or even socially unacceptable thing anymore. Therefore the consequences of getting pregnant unplanned are different to what they use to be which leads to women (and men) being less careful about contraception and sex in general, leading to more unplanned pregnancies and therefore unfortunately more abortions. And the easier it is to access abortion the more socially acceptable that becomes and I don't think that is a good path to go down as a society.

I respect your opinion entirely, however I think its imperative to point out that social change is inevitable, and while it would be ideal to expect society to still hold morals as high as yours, many of the beliefs which we have seemingly left behind were the beliefs of the church and the strength of the family unit as a whole. Sadly many no longer have support structures such as this.
As I have already said I am pro choice for termination on medical grounds, but also feel that a young girl who has never been given a support system is highly unlikely to make safe decisions about why she has sex or the responsibilities that comes with, let alone
have the support or foresight to adopt a child out, or suitably raise a child.
Clearly age is not always an indicator of fit parenting, as we often see in the news, but it is also clear in the stats that the majority of those requiring such resources are teenagers.
As sad as it is I think we need this change to happen, although I do think this is still shutting the gate once the horse has bolted so to speak, there is a demand for termination outside of the current guidelines

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:40pm

I think people are very careful with contraception because of the risk of STD's and most people dont want to get pregnant so will use contraception. The consequences of STDs are high, and it doesnt take people getting one to learn this.
fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:42pm

If you have severe depression and get pregnant, the toll it would take on you mentally if you were to carry that baby to term and adopt it would do worse damage than an abortion.
If your an alcoholic and get pregnant you're not in a state to carry a baby to term and again, adoption is in the best interest for the women.
Both of the above are examples of reasons why mentally and emotionally some women ar enot in a state where is safe for them (or the baby) to carry the baby to term. They need to look after themselves first before they can look after anyone else (including an unborn baby).

Edited by melissag
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 8:32am
Looks like there is a lot of different ways to look at this, but it still comes down to whether the bill should be changed to allow termination beyond the first trimester etc

I totally understand there are few very good reasons as to why someone would abort in first trimester even though I do not agree, but its the going beyond that point that raises major ethical issues. It's crossing a humane line and again for some reason people seem to be putting more importance on the women and think that it is in best interests for the baby.

Edited by Kazper

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 9:07am
Kazper - abortion is legal until 20 weeks! not just the first trimester.... beyond that is what this is addressing

Edited by freckle
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 9:48am

Originally posted by freckle freckle wrote:

Kazper - abortion is legal until 20 weeks! not just the first trimester.... beyond that is what this is addressing

This is what's currently available, it is going beyond that. 
I would be assuming that anyone terminating beyond that period would be doing it for medical reasons.
Terminating that late because you don't want the pregnancy I agree is being irresponsible.
If there are medical grounds for terminating beyond 20 weeks, then yes the process should be expediated, as the longer it takes the more harm there is likely to be to the woman.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>