FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApples, pears etc for starting solids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apples, pears etc for starting solids
    Posted: 13 July 2010 at 12:49pm
Hi just wondering what type of apples for pureed food you use, e.g granny smith?

And the same with pears...

Also how do I give them to her, I was talking with my grandparents who told me they stewed them before giving them to me, but stewing often involves a lot of sugar... And my grandparents told me it would taste bloody awful without the sugar.

How do you cook your apples/pears etc for bubs?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 1:16pm
No sugar!!! Dont forget their tastebuds are very different to ours...

I wouldnt use grannys, they were originally a cooking apple and not very sweet so are quite tart when cooked.

I used Braeburns the one and only time i did apples for Jake and they were quite Tart too and he didnt like them so I didnt bother with apples again tbh...

To stew them just chop them up and put a wee bit a of water in the pot and simmer until soft.. you may need to add more water...

With pears I only cooked them once and then I just pureed them fresh as the puree well once soft anyway....

Kumara was a big hit here! As were banana and avocado (and my favs as no really prep needed lol), likes them together too!

Edited by melnel

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 1:32pm
Yeah thats what I thought re sugar!

Thanks for the tips etc! Definitely will be doing avos, bananas and kumaras

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 5:30pm
Its hard in winter... there is not a great variety of fruit available so tin peaches pureed would be ok (in natural juice of course).. I just bought the tinned apples tbh...

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 5:41pm
I never buy the in syrup ones, too sweet imo! Lol, but you reckon the in clear juice would be ok?

Didn't actually think of doing that!
mammaE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 6:19pm
Yes any of the ones in clear juice are ok, they told us that at Plunkets "first food" course.
I use to puree the whole tin and freeze in ice trays, then you can mix them together as you want for different tastes.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 6:50pm
Yeah I got a sheet today with the first food course but unfortunately the next one here will be when she is 7 months

But that's cool, will be giving that a go then!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 9:59pm
Thats right, the next one is at about 7 months when the are ready to move to stage 2 foods

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:20am
Do you know what age yoghurt is? I have seen one sheet saying 1st stage and another saying not til sage 2!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 11:39am
Yoghurt would be at 1yo??
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 11:46am
1! Woah alright, definitely won't be giving that!
mammaE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 12:09pm
Cows milk as a main drink is from 1yo, other dairy products like cheese, yoghurt, cottage cheese and custard are ok from 7-8 months on Plunkets recomendations.
I gave DD natural unsweetend yoghurt mixed with fruit to start with as most other yoghurts are full of sugar.

Ask plunket for their first food sheet , it has all the food for the different stages on it and some tips on feeding solids, they also have a sheet with finger food ideas for older babies.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 12:27pm
Yup I have that sheet, got it yesterday - the watties one it says yoghurt stage 2 7 months onwards, but also have one from the Ohbaby mag that says soy yoghurt as first foods so was a bit confused !

ETA: Suppose because it's soy yoghurt is why it was a 'first' food.

Edited by Lil_Nic9
mammaE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:15pm
yes probably because it's soy not dairy
 Post Reply Post Reply