FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCheap Dinner meals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Dinner meals
    Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:01pm
Does anyone have any cheap dinner ideas they want to share?

TIA
Sponsored Links

littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:07pm
Mince!!
cottage pie - lasagna - pasta bake - meatballs - meatloaf - spag bol - baked spuds - nachos.

Another fav of mine is to buy a frozen chicken when they are on special, have it roasted (or if we are being honest cooked in the slow cooker) the first night and then use the rest of it in a risotto for another two nights.

A friend of mine is a big fan of the destitute gourmet
http://www.destitutegourmet.com/
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:54pm
SOUP!
bacon hock (about $6 from supermarket), some soup mix, chicken stock, water and whatever veges you want, make up a huge pot of it and you have enough for dinner, and lunches / some to freeze... and its so yummy! i made a pea and ham soup yesterday with a bacon hock, split green peas and then just grated a carrot and onion and little bit of leek and was so yummy!

self crusting quiche - i have posted my recipe on here before, do a search for it. so easy and so yummy and you can put whatever you want in it. good for leftovers too.

fish pie or tuna mornay
macaroni cheese
stir fry
honey mustard chicken on rice

roasts are actually good value, might seem like a lot of money to pay at the time but you do get dinner plus lunches or another dinner out of them so work out cheaper.

home made pizza
american hot dogs

if i think of any more ill post again, let me know if you want any recipes too.

Edited by heaf3
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 8:34pm
Also it's cheaper to buy a fresh chook & cut it up. You can get 2 breasts for one meal, thighs, drums & wings for another meal & then a carcase to make chicken soup or chicken stock out of.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:20pm

We often do two or three nights a week of no meat. So we'll do tuna pasta bake, corn fritters, potatoe fritters, soups etc.

Also thiings like stirfrys, curries etc where the recipe calls for say 500g I only put 300g in and extra veges.

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 11:48am
Bacon and egg pie works out pretty cheap if you use half a pack of hobsons bacon.

heaf3s quiche recipe is a fav in this house...I just buy 200 grams of ham pieces from the supermarket deli and dice them up, cheap as.

Edited by kellie

julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 12:06pm
Iv just been googling cheap family meals , Best i came up with is whats already been mentioned: Lasagna, Bacon and Egg pies, Pasta bake. Think ill make up a salmom pasta bake tonight . The hardest thing for me is my DP is the fussiest eater - he wont eat any vegitables at all ( not even onion or garlic ) so trying to make a family size meal with no vegies is so difficult , i thought about trying to hide vegies in his food lol but im not quite sure how i would do this without him noticing . I always have a side of vegies pr salad for me and DD but i wish i could enjoy them in my main too , would make life alot easier . he eats potatoes but thats it!!!!

Edited by julz
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:36pm
Hehe I'll tell you about my $21 a week pantry challenge next time I see ya....cheap dinners galore!!

heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 10:46am
glad you like the quiche kellie!

decided to post it in here so ya dont have to go looking for it..

Self-Crusting Quiche

1pkt Ham
5 Eggs
3Tbsp Melted Butter
1 1/2cups Milk
1/2 cup Flour
salt and pepper
1cup Grated Cheese.

Beat eggs, add melted butter, milk, ham and cheese. Stir in sifted flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into greased quiche dish and bake 30mins at 190'c. You can basically add anything you want to this quiche, leave out the ham or replace with bacon etc, or add onion, spinach, tomato etc.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 6:45pm
Thanks Heaf!!

I have made that quiche 3 times now lol But i use anything & everything lol

I have added
bacon
ham
salmon
broc
cauli
onion
tom
corn
peas
spinach

Its so good though, and so tasty & easy to make
Not all at the same time of cource

Another recipe ive found that is cheap is Bacon Cabonara Fettuccine
-1 pkt fetticine noodles, i use budget or homebrand. They are 70c a pkt!! Just like spagetti noodles
- 1 jar Leggos Cabonara mix
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 slices of bacon (i buy cheap bacon on special & freeze it, 3 slices in each pack. I also use this for pizza & maccaroni etc)

I cook bacon, onion, garlic. Add the sauce & also add 3/4 cup of milk to make it go further. I coil about 1/2-3/4 of the noodles.

This makes heaps we have heaps of leftovers
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 6:58pm
Roast Potato Salad
10 – 12 Potatos (Cleaned but don’t have to peel)
1 Kumara (I usally Peel)
1 Onion (Cut into little pieces)
2 pieces of uncooked bacon (again Cut into little pieces)

Chuck onto a oven tray, i usally cover in a bit of oil.
Leave to cook 45 – 60mins
Take out leave to cool,
Mix it in a bowl with mayo and seeded mustard.

Can eat hot or cold.
I usally serve warm 1 night and put left overs in fridge to have cold the next night!!

Keep up with the quick, cheap simple/easy to cook meals!! Haha im far from a chef and with a baby due anyday now I will be looking for recipes like the above!!
NicNOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NicNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 2:05pm
Pumkin curry is a favorite in our house - really cheap at this time of the year

Pumpkin Curry:

Big wedge of pumpkin cut in to cubes
Diced onion
1 can chickpeas
frozen baby peas
chicken stock cube
curry powder
Coconut cream (or yoghurt)

Fry off onion in a pan
add pumpkin cubes & about half a cup of water
add crushed stock cube and curry powder to taste and some salt
Simmer with lid on until pumpkin is cooked - but not so cooked its turned to mush!
Add drained chickpeas and frozenpeas and simmer for another couple of mins.
Add coconut cream (about half a can, and freeze the rest)

Serve with rice.

Also Bacon & Corn chowder is awesome at this time of the year.

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 10:21pm
alison holsts crockpot devilled sausages. Get them cheap on special

Fried rice. Bacon and some egg, some peas and corn. Or a bit of chicken instead of bacon.

I sometimes put a packet of 2 min noodles in a quiche. Kids love it.

Edited by kiwi2
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:02am
Pies - cottage, mince, mince and cheese, bacon and egg... chicken and vege...

Meat and 3 vege or mixed veges.

Mac cheese just need 1x 500g back of pasta elbows, 1 (or 2 in my case) jars of the pasta sauce (or you could make your own) some ham, tomatoes... Cheese. (could add other things too.

Chicken Fettuccine

Soups are always cheap

I agree with the buying a whole chook and cutting it for different meals.

Mel had a thread for the 'best chicken curry' recipe, that's cheap as to make and lasts us 2 days.

Spaghetti meatballs

Rissoles, and veges.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:02am
Oh anything with rice...
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 3:17pm
I picked up some pork chops at pak n save on the weekend, a 3 pack for $3.90!! So I had one last night, just baked it in the oven for about 40 mins along with some roast spuds, kumara and pumpkin. the kumara DH grew himself, the pumpkin was from my mum so there was only 2 spuds and one pork chop that actually cost me anything (DH didnt want any). Talk about a cheap and yummy dinner! Just like a little mini pork roast

Omelettes are cheap too, just throw in anything you have in the cupboard really!

Edited by heaf3
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 11:11am

can't remember whether it's been mentioned but risotto is nice and cheap.  I just throw in celery, bacon, spinach or whatever is in the garden.

KirstyLeigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KirstyLeigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by heaf3 heaf3 wrote:

glad you like the quiche kellie!

decided to post it in here so ya dont have to go looking for it..

Self-Crusting Quiche

1pkt Ham
5 Eggs
3Tbsp Melted Butter
1 1/2cups Milk
1/2 cup Flour
salt and pepper
1cup Grated Cheese.

Beat eggs, add melted butter, milk, ham and cheese. Stir in sifted flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into greased quiche dish and bake 30mins at 190'c. You can basically add anything you want to this quiche, leave out the ham or replace with bacon etc, or add onion, spinach, tomato etc.

Thank you for posting this, I've made it twice and we LOVE it!
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:23pm
Casserole

500gm (stew/casserole) steak (blade or topside)
1 400g/ml tin of coconut cream
1 400g tin chopped/half/diced tomatoes
1 sachet maggi slow-cooker classic beef hot pot mix

i blend the coconut cream, tomatoes and sachet mix together coz i dont like tomatoes, but blended its more like a paste and i dont have the chucnky tomato bits....

cube the beef, put in slow cooker, pour over c.cream/tomato/sachet mix (or leave them all as are without blending)

turn on... 7-8 hours on low. 3-4 on high.

put over some rice. yum!!!!

(make sure its coconut cream, not milk... i did this the other night lol)
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:57pm
I love the self-crusting quiche recipe, and so does my husband and son - one of the few ways I can get vegies into my son!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>