FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked# autistic children daycare or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jodi04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodi04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # autistic children daycare or not?
    Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:01pm
Hi all, my son Aiden has recently been diagnosed with Autisim. my problem is im unsure to put him into day care as he has a gagging problem which normally leads to vomitting at least once a day. anything can set him off from being too excited to watching other children eat to eating something he dosent like... i think aiden would do ok in daycare but i just worry any ideas?
Sponsored Links

littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:19pm
Goodness - couldn't read and run! I would think as long as the DC knew all the info and you both had a plan you agreed with it should be worth a go. DCs seem to deal with food allergies ok (well I guess that depends on the DC) so a gagging issue should be ok. Hopefully someone here with experience with Autisim can comment on that side of things
Good luck
kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:21pm

We have been there my son started daycare at 21 months and a month later he was diagnosed with autism. We had a teacher aide who was with him so helped him with anything like sitting on the mat doing some one on one and taking the child away if it gets all too much. He was at daycare until he started school and learnt being around other kids/adults for his social skills.

He was on a gluten free diet in his younger days and that helped with his behaviour. He also gets multi-vitamin, fish oil and vitamin C to help him to be more focus.

He is now 7.5 and in a mainstream school and is doing very well. He does have a teacher aide and does some one on one with him with work that he has to do.

jodi04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodi04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:27pm
yeah think i suppose its just gonner have to be done we cant change aidens diet as there isnt much of one he just eats potato chips and thatst it sometimes a half a yoghurt. i think he would do good in daycare. he could only better from it. thank you for your posts. so appreciated think im just holding on too tight I also think my 6month old would better it also one on one time with me.
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:48pm
just talk to different daycares and find out how they run. If a daycare is more able to provide one on one time with your son it may be better than those that are unable.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:06pm
Are you receiving any services/ intervention from ministry of education? if not you can always refer him to them for help. They can provide help with transitioning into a preschool/kindy and work with staff to come up with plans to best help him with his needs in the centre... they can also apply for funding for support staff to work with him in the centre... and provide other services he may need like speech and language therapy....
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
 Post Reply Post Reply