FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSteam Mops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tibby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steam Mops
    Posted: 21 September 2010 at 7:43am
Hi, does anyone have a steam mop? Are they any good? I am thinking of buying one but don't want to waste money if it isn't very efficient.
Sponsored Links

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 8:06am
Hi tibby

We have one, it's a Shark Steam Mop I think. I love it, it is way better than a normal mop and I'm a stickler so used to get down and scrub the tiles after mopping. No need to after using the steam mop, does a great job and it's really simple to use.

I sound like an infomercial..

HTH!

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 10:09am
I hated mine and just sold it. I think you either love them or loath them. I think you should do your research and go by the brands you see people recommend on here. I had the H2O Steam mop. Very similar to the aqua laser on good morning and it wasn't good. I have heard good things about the shark one.

Things I didn't like about mine. I have dark vinyl wood planks. They were left wet and when it dried it looked like a slug or snail had made its way across the floor. If you have a lighter coloured floor you wouldn't see this.

I didn't like the swivel head that is triangular. I found it hard to move around and it never really went the way I wanted.

Cord wasn't long enough and filling it was difficult.

Now although this sounds very negative however I did like the thoughts of not using chemicals and not having a manky mop around.

I have just highlighted what I didn't like about it so that in your search you can find one that is right for you and definately don't by this one.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 10:21am
I have one (its purple, I'm too lazy to go see what the actual brand is) and I love it. Love that I have no gross water and it does a better job than the old school mop. Mine has a rectangle head. I just use it on lino and don't notice any leftover marks. The only bummer part is that the cord isn't that long so I end up changing powerpoints but I can live with that.
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 11:14am
I have an aqua lazer, although I would like a shark lol. We LOVE our steam mop, easy to use and great on the carpets as well. I don't like having harsh chemicals on the floors especially when I have a child but I like to know they are clean as well. Thumbs up from us!

* tank could be bigger, cord could be longer (although I use an extension) and it would be better if it stood upright a bit better, but I put all this down to the cheapo brand

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:23pm
looking at buying one. keeping my eye out on TM. looking to get an H2O steam mop with the accessory caddy. has attachments for cleaning the oven and bbq and windows and toilet. mum is looking for one 2 lol.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:42pm
Has anyone used it on proper wood floors?

ange221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ange221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 1:17pm
I have a Bissell steam mop and I'm using it on wooden floors.

I love it. It takes no time at all and is so easy to use. The floors are dry in a few minutes.

I am wondering though if it is starting to take some of the varnish off the wood. Have been trying to use the steam button less when I do use it just in case.
tibby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 1:22pm
Thanks guys, that's all really helpful. Will look into the Shark.
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 2:10pm
MrsEmma... have you used the Shark Steam Mop on carpet?
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 3:10pm
I wouldn't buy them due to the carpet feature. They can sanitise the carpet by pushing steam in and killing bugs but to get it clean I think is another matter. Normally water needs to go into the carpet and get sucked out to clean stains etc and I don't think this is the product for it. If you want to run it over clean carpet to sanitise then it will do that.

Gosh I am sounding negative. lol. I just think the infomercials try to over sell them and people end up disapointed. If I had different floor covering I would buy a shark one even after my experience with the H2O. I think they are a great concept and I have seen the results on my friends tile floors and it is great. I would buy it solely for the hard floor covering and if you want to deoderise carpet and sanitise it then that is an added bonus. Stains though are a stretch.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 3:19pm
Milliemoo no I haven't tried the carpet feature yet, I bought it for the tiles but I do want to try it.. in fact I think I will but it will have to be tomorrow as I'm just about to start dinner. I can report back for anyone who is interested!

Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 7:52pm
My Mum just gave me one and I hate it! This one has a short cord and I had to change power outlets three times just to do the kitchen/dining/lounge area and I found the cord a real hindrance when mopping. I also find that our matai wood floors look heaps shinier with a regular wet mop and handy andy.
Lou
Jaxnz1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxnz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 8:19pm
I have a shark steam mop and love it......especially with a crawling baby now!! The cord is a bit of a pain, but I hold it close to the handle and it stays out of the way.

No, it doesn't get stains out of carpets, but I've only tried it on really tough stains. Not the stains they show in the commercials. On stains I use the Cavalier Bremworth spray and vacuum it out. The steam mop is great on carpets though, I do ours once a week. There's something about steam that makes the floors feel so much cleaner. And soooo much easier than those large area sprays etc.

I would recommend one, we got ours from TM quite cheap. Definitely easier than using a mop and bucket IMO!!

Carnelian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carnelian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by MrsEmma MrsEmma wrote:

Milliemoo no I haven't tried the carpet feature yet, I bought it for the tiles but I do want to try it.. in fact I think I will but it will have to be tomorrow as I'm just about to start dinner. I can report back for anyone who is interested!

I'd love to know how you got on.
I've also been interested in these and have been looking up reviews etc.
I wanting it more for carpet than anything else but I do have vinyl in the kitchen and tiles in the bathroom. I have a newborn baby and a toddler and my toddler is a real chucker. He spilled LOTS as a baby and still vomits alot now - if he laughs too much, if he's overtired, if he plays too rough with his dad before bed..... so although I don't have stains much as I always put lots of water down straight away and soak it up with towel, I would like the carpet to be cleaner. Also, near his highchair there are a few food marks.
We have sisal carpet.
Do you think one of these would be good for us or are we better to get one of those rug doctor things done once a year or so?

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 3:27pm
Sure Carnelian, I actually got a bit sidetracked and forgot to do it yesterday and am in the midst of baking and getting dinner sorted now! I will do it tomorrow morning during DS's first nap and will report back.

I personally love the Rug Doctors, I think they are great value to use once or twice a year especially now that we have DS in the house and cream carpet

Edited by MrsEmma

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 3:33pm
MrsEmma I have been waiting for your report also, lol, was thinking about getting one, but might try Rug Doctors...how much do they cost?
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 5:00pm
Sorry Jazzy lol, I've been caught out for slacking!! I am hanging my head in shame

The last time we got a Rug Doctor was about 18 months ago and I *think* it was about $40 for the hireage plus you have to buy the chemicals and hire extra attachments depending on what you want to do so maybe around $80 all up.

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 5:39pm
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 8:32pm
I had a bissell carpet shampooer. It was great and I really miss it. We had to sell it as it was the wrong voltage for nz. We had white/beige carpets and once a month I would run it over the high traffic zones and then once every 6 months to a year do the rest of the carpet. I have dark carpet now but if I had light carpet again I would get another one of these in a heart beat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>