FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baking
    Posted: 25 September 2010 at 10:34pm
No doubt that it is nicer than store bought, but it is cheaper than just buying (for instance) a twin pack of choclate chippies for under $4?
What do you bake?
Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:32am
I think store bought is possibly cheaper at the moment depending on what you are making but I'd love to know if anyone has actually sat down and worked it out.  The price of butter is a bit restrictive for me.  Having said that, I have a great little fudgy chocolate chip biscuit recipe that doesn't have butter in it so that gets made all the time.  I also make a gingerbread (loaf rather than biscuit) recipe a bit.  Homemade baking doesn't tend to last as long in our house so what I'm trying at the moment is having things like a packet of malt biscuits and some cruskits for the children (which they both think is great!!) and then using the home made stuff as a bit of a treat, and something to take for my work lunches.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:34am
I have cut down on baking as it is more expensive than buying & baking does not last long in my house.

I bake muffins with DS3 as he loves it.

I used to make cheese scones but with the price of cheese now I only do it now & then. We are cutting down on biscuits & cakes for the kids & would much rather spend biscuit/snack money on fruit.

I think if you bake you have a passion for it & if you want to save money then buy the cheap ones.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:41am
happymumma DH opened the fridge the other day & said you have about $10 worth of butter in here, lol...hmm been stocking up for baking & at $4+ when not on special it does not take long to add up.

By the time you add up ingredients, power, time it does not make it worth it unless you love to do it. I don't enjoy standing in the kitchen for ever backing, then cleaning... then to have the family polish it off in no time.

I have a yummy quick recipe for rum balls & found another one for white chocolate balls so may make them for xmas prezzys.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:45am
I used to buy mueslie bars all the time in this house - then the kids started wanting them too - they got ate on the weekend and if my husband took them to work and the kids to school i was having to buy 5 boxes or so in the groceries every fortnight... so now i have stopped buying them (except for one box maybe) and will instead be making my fab date slice which my husband loves... the pound of butter will make way more than one loaf. i have also found macaroons a cool thing to make for the kids and they seem to like them better than some store bought bikkies.and they dont have flour or butter in them.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:52am
Bizzy what is your macaroon recipe?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 10:42am
1 cup dessicated coconut
half cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 beaten egg
and glace cherries to decorate - that saying they are expensive so have used almond slivers and chopped dates and sultanas instead.

preheat oven to 180...
mix the coconut sugar and cornflour and make a well in the middle. add the egg and mix with a knife to form a moist mass. place heaped dessertspoons on tray and top with cherry (or whatever).
bake for 15 mins or unlit lightly golden.

i am thinking for a treat to get the kids to chocolate dip some this holidays.

oh and i got the recipe from the allyson gofton bake book! as well as my date loaf one.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 12:59pm
I don't make cookies cause its cheaper to buy them. I'll bake gingerbread (as in the loaf), sometimes a slice or muffins or lollicake. If a recipe doesn't have much butter in it it works out cheaper to bake but if its got lots then I think its cheaper to buy
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 5:22pm
I make biscuits, muffins and slices. Biscuits are easy and I prefer the taste.
Muffins and slices are def cheaper than supermarket ones.
Muffins are $1 each in some supermarkets, I can make 12 for less than $5.

A pound of butter cost me $4 on Wednesday, and so far I've made 20 biscuits, 12 muffins and a bacon and cheese pie with it. I also use it on sandwiches and toast. (I don't like margarine).
Butter will probably last me another week. I think that's pretty economical compared to buying all of those items ready made from the supermarket.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 9:52am
Each week I make a museli slice for DH and I, muesli bars for the boys (although Bizzy's macaroons look easier), often biscuits and then a gingerbread loaf or a sultana cake
Lindsey

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 11:11am

I dont' bake (don't have time), however I have everything in my house to bake. baking is a treat for my boys.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 7:59pm
If butter is the expensive part, why not use margarine. Admittedly it doesn't work for everything, but going dairy free, I've been forced to try it and it works in an whole lot of things, and you can usually find some on special for $2 or so I think. I just used to stock up big time whenever I found the dairy-free marg on sale.

I bake. I like knowing what is in things, and I enjoy baking, and it tastes better. Plus I want my kids growing up knowing how to bake.
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 1:40pm
I def prefer baking than buying stuff at the supermarket - it tastes better, often cheaper, and I know what I put in it! I also have quite a lot of recipes that use vegetable oil rather than butter, so works out healthier and cheaper.

The staples here are muffins, cookies, weetbix slice, and biscotti. Have also been going through a crumble phase this winter.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 2:28pm
I find baking way cheaper than buying direct from the shop.

For the price of a packet of biscuits you can make triple the amount. You only get about 10 biscuits in a packet these days lol.

Muffins are definately cheaper. You can make half a dozen large texan sized muffins for less than the price of one decent one (not including those teeny ones you get in the supermarket)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
4thtymlucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4thtymlucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 7:59pm
I'm hopeless at baking but have found that this pregnancy makes me want to bake so I've had attempts at baking cakes (chocolate, banana and buttercake) that haven't turned out that bad (not good enough for the shops though..hehehe) and scones (good enough for the dog..lol..) and cookies (another one for the dog..lol) but I must admit that I'm enjoying it and can only improve with practise..hehehe...
weeheebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeheebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:23pm
Simon Holst has a fabulously easy chocochip recipe that takes on 75gm of butter, they spread heaps so they seem a decent size to everyone.

I find store boughpacket biscuits so unfulfilling and nothing to eat. We cah chow through a packet of "fancy" biscuits in one day in our house and at $2.50 plus it is an expensive habbit.

I like to bake:
Chocolate chip cookies
Peanut Brownies
Chocolate slice (my mums recipe and very similar to weetbix slice)
Scones

Have tried a few other things lately too. I made a great brownie that dh and I adored - way better than anything in any cafe and saved us so much on cafe treats (which i usually get for myself at least once a week - with having it at home I don't feel the need so save heaps of money in that area)
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 2:46pm
DH made a lasagna & had enough pasta left to make fettucini so while he has a pasta machine out I made Crackers. I have made them as a kid with mum but that was the last time so I dusted off the family recipes & made a batch.

125g flour
3/4t baking powder
1/2t salt
25g very cold butter
1/2c water approx

put everything except water into food proceser & add water while mixing till it forms a ball roll out thinly & cut, bake for 10-15mins on 190 till golden color.

I made 60+ lost count as the kids were scoffing them so easy & cheep to make.

Edited by jazzy
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:15pm
happymumma i would love that cookie recipe if you are happy to share it!
I bake 2 batches of something every week for hubby to take for lunch (and for me and DD to have a wee treat each day). It varies depending on what I feel like making, but I agree that the price of butter (and cheese, for savoury things) has me seriously checking all the recipes before I make them. I find it very disappointing that in this country it is far more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat junk (that goes for all food, im not just talking biccies - the price of broccoli this week means we have had only leeks or frozen peas to choose from for veggies!). Coming from england where everything is sooooo cheap it really sucks! Ok, rant over lol
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 12:04pm
I find baking cheaper, but we bake our muesli bars, bread, cupcakes/muffins & biscuits, so I think it has to do with the shear volumes of food we make ourselves.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:30pm

Here you go Muppets Mama...

Fudgy choc chip cookies

2 eggs, 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil (though I use rice bran and it's just fine), 1 tspn vanilla essence, 2 cups self raising flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 180. Line baking trays with baking paper.  Beat together eggs, sugar and oil.  Add vanilla, flour and cocoa and beat to combine. Stir through choc chips.  Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls, flatten slightly.  Place on trays.  Bake 10-15 mins.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>