FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedpreserving beetroot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sbeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: preserving beetroot
    Posted: 03 October 2010 at 1:42pm
we have just picked all our beetroot...

does anyone know the best way to preserve beetroot?

Do you need proper preserving jars (the ones with the lids and screw part separate) or can I use recycled screw top jars (old jam and pasta jars etc)?

also does the overflow method work with normal screw top jars?

any recipes would be appreciated too...

Sponsored Links

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 9:21pm
I trialled a bit of beetroot preserving at the end of summer, I used 1 proper preserving jar and 1 screw top jar (from pasta sauce or something). The overflow method worked for me for the screw top jar, I poured boiling water over the top of the jar too (with the jar sitting in the sink!). At least, the pop button in the lid disappeared, I haven't actually opened that jar yet to taste the contents (its sitting in the back of the pantry, and I keep forgetting its there!).

Recipes - can't remember which one I used, its somewhere around but don't know where to look for it right now. I just did some google research and tried the simplest looking recipe.
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 4:37pm
we used this last year:

Wash the roots being careful not to break the skins. Trim the tops to remove any leaf residue but do not cut back into the flesh. Cut off the root to leave a tiny "tail". Place in sufficient boiling salted water to cover the roots properly. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently for 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on the size. When fully cooked, a knife should sink into the flesh easily. An alternative is to cook at 15lb pressure in a pressure cooker. Allow to cool, skin and trim. Cut the main root into rounds about 1/8" (3mm) - 1/4" (6mm) thick depending on your preference.

If the pickled beetroot is to be used within a week or so (and stored in a fridge during that time), the rounds can simply be packed into a jar and covered with cold malt or pickling vinegar. If they are to be stored for a long time they should be packed (not too tightly) into proper pickling or bottling jars and covered with boiling vinegar and sealed immediately. Modern jam jars that create a vacuum seal can be used but make sure that the lid is clean, the seal is good and that the vacuum has been created (the central dimple should be depressed.)

With all pickling and preserving, cleanliness is important so make sure that the jars are very clean before use. When bulk pickling, we have held our jars at 12 degrees C. in the oven for 30 minutes after washing, just to be sure.

Sauce for preserving beetroot
Note: These recipes use NZ measurements. 1 c = 1 cup = 250 ml. 1 T = 1 tablespoon = 15 ml. 1 D = 2 teaspoons. 1 t = 1 teaspoon = 5ml. If you're in America, you may find you need a little extra baking powder in recipes that use it.

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups malt vinegar
1 tablespoon salt.
Boil sauce for ten minutes.

Pour over hot sliced or cubed cooked beetroot. Fill to overflowing hot sterilized glass jars with beetroot and sauce and screw on sterilized metal lids (the kind with a rubber seal in them) immediately.
When jar lid depresses on cooling you know you have a patent seal and contents will be safe to eat.

-----------

I also made a batch using white vinegar (Gluten free option) and DP couldnt taste is still similar and very nice.

we planted beetroot again this year so i can make some more.
TIP: invest in disposable gloves and a plastic chopping board you can throw away. EVERYTHING will be pink otherwise
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 4:26pm
just picked our beetroot today...DH is roasting some now for dinner..

not sure what to do with the rest...want it to taste like caned ones, lol...mmm
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 9:48pm
my recipe above is exactly like watties canned ones.
very tasty.

i have got half way through this years lot. have 9 jars worth and another 5 to go.
when they were all in a bucket they overflowed the 9.6L bucket
 Post Reply Post Reply