FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTomatoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tomatoes
    Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:16pm
I know to have successful tomatoes you need to grow them in a sunny place with not much wind. But im having a hard time finding a place that is sheltered enough around our house.

Last year our plants didnt take off. I really really want nice tomatoes this year.

Can you get mini green houses? Something just small enough for the tomatoes?

Any ideas would be good
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:23pm
You can make one, get some plastic sheeting, and some strong sticks of wood, make a small shed, would be really easy to do.

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Aethalia Aethalia wrote:

You can make one, get some plastic sheeting, and some strong sticks of wood, make a small shed, would be really easy to do.

Great idea!!! I even think my dad has plastic sheeting lying around.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:15am
some tomatoes you can grow in tubs too so you could have them on the porch.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:10pm
If you grow the wee tomatoes you can keep them in pots and move them around as required.
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:48pm
I had a cherry tomato in a half wine barrel last year and it did really well.  It did get lots of sun but certainly thrived in its location.  I like the idea of building a plastic glass house.  I'm quite keen on doing something like that over winter.
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 9:40pm

Last year was supposed to be a terrible year for tomato yields - can't remember why. So it may be that it wasn't the spot so much as just a bad "vintage" allround. You can also do cherry toms in hanging baskets if that's any use.

jem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 11:34pm
Unless you are going to completely surround your plant in plastic I wouldnt reccommend it as the wind will be more concentrated and will dump down over top of the plastic onto your plant.

Windbreak will be a good option as it will filter the wind without dumping coz the wind goes around. You just want to put the windbreak on the windy side instead of all the way around as this is more econmical and will shade it.
 Post Reply Post Reply