FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSeed germination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seed germination
    Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:39pm

Is anyone really good at this?  I seem to be a bit hit and miss.

If you have success, what are your tips (think explanation for a complete novice!!)?

Sponsored Links

KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:19pm
We have found that using a mix of potting mix, compost and seed raising mix is great, also keeping them watered regularly and in a warm area like a green house or poly tunnel will help also.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:32pm
Have just started growing seeds for the first time. Got seedling trays and seedling mix from garden centre. I asked the guy for a quick lesson for dummys, lol. He told me to follow the back of the seed packets for length of germination, and not to plant the seeds deeper than what the packet says, cos if u plant them too deep they wont grow. Put one seed per hole. I put sees that take the same lenth of gemination in the same tray- most take 10-14 days, but I have some that take 4 weeks so they all all in little rows in the same tray!
I have them in my laundry, and have covered the trays with newspaper to make it dark, and water daily. They are all growing really well! I have sunflowers and marigolds, spring onions, carrots, beetroot, eggplant, cucumbers.
Im gonna plant the musceln lettuce seeds staright into the vege garden- after labour weekend is best, to avoid frosts. Make a trough in the garden and fill with seedling mix, then spinkle the seeds and lightly cover with more seedling mix- thats whta I have been tld and plan to do!
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:01pm
Good thread. DH was juse asking me about all the packets of seedlings we have, barely any of which took off last year.
Mum to two wee boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:47am

How long do they last?  I have some that have a use by date on them of earlier this year.

And Kellz - why the need to cover them with newspaper?  I would never have thought  of that - I just assumed that when you popped them in to germinate they would need light.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:58am

Seedling mix works the best. I have had almost everything come through using a seedling mix. Also keeping them damp and warm helps.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:26am
My laundry is miniscule so no chance of me growing anything in there..is your laundry quite warm Kellz?

I've been reading the NZ Vegetable Garden book by Tui and it says to make a kind of a mini glass house to put the seed trays in then cover the glass with newspaper (to stop finer seeds drying out I think, apparently bigger seeds don't need the paper as they are sown in deeper and are less likely to dry out)

...Then once the first signs of germination appears (which is tiny leaves I'm guessing??? ) to remove the paper covering and raise the glass to provide ventilation then after another day or so to remove the glass completely and let the seedlings grow until ready for transplanting.

Sounds good in theory LOL I'm going to make my "mini greenhouse" this weekend hopefully so I'll let you know how I get on

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:50pm

My greenhouse is currently my dining table!  It is surrounded by windows so gets plenty of sun.  But I wonder if not using the paper is my problem.  Might have to try that.  I just went and bought bean, spring onion, carrot, pepper and rocket seeds so have a bit of work to do.

Another option for the glasshouse idea is to look out for smallish windows complete with frame.  You can just place it in a sunny position with seedling trays underneath.  Friends of mine have done that with good success I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:06pm
a demo yard should have something like that wouldn't they?

Hubby works for a glass company though so I might just get him to cut & edge a piece to suit whatever base I can find..Do you think a sturdy box would work or would something wooden be better?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:23pm
I think I shallow box would be fine surely.  As long as it can hold the weight of the glass.  I have an old cat litter tray I will use once I get my seed raising mix.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:41pm
Ohh I wonder if we've still got our kitty litter tray...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:33pm

I have mine in a greenhouse we picked up quite cheap at Mitre 10 Mega.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:19pm
How big is the greenhouse mummy_becks?
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:38pm
I have them in the 6pack punnets. I have several in a big box on my dining table in the sun. I water them twice a day. They have all sprouted in 1 week. And are growing well
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:43pm
Mmm, rocket. Last year I used gladwrap (on some book's advice) instead of glass. I generally got germination OK but they didn't grow much beyond that and very few, if any, actually became plants.
Mum to two wee boys
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 1:00pm

I have had great success with my beans so far this year, but no luck at all with corn . I have also had a problem with dampening off disease (when the seedings wilt and collapse at gound level) caused by overwatering and poor air flow. The best thing for watering seeds is a mister bottle as this means the water is fairly even and you can control how much water they get much easier. Maybe thats my prob this year??? (off to buy another mister bottle...) They are about $5 from warehouse or hardware store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:32pm

Rovic, I am having the same problem with corn. I have put seeds into the ground and if they aren't coming through by labour weekend I am off to Mitre 10 to get some plants.

I will take a photo and post it to show you what it looks like.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:51pm

There is the green house

Gardengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 8:46pm
Great, a gardening section

I mist my seedlings as soon as the seedmix starts to show any signs of drying, so a couple of times a day +. Currently I have heaps of 2 different types of tomato , a couple of dozen basil, some sunflowers, a punnet of lettuce, half a dozen cucumber and half a dozen zuchinni on my dining table. I will plant runner beans, radish and silverbeet outside once I've cleared more space (I already have broad beans coming up, sown late, garlic and asparagus). Will be sowing a few trays worth of marigold tomorrow and getting some pumpkins underway.

I've considered one of those wee greenhouses but the ones I've seen don't seem to be UV protected so I don't think they'd last the summer. My main concern outside is keeping the chooks and the pig away from stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 11:36am

I love the greenhouse!  Might have to put that on my list of gardening wants!

The $2 (or whatever it's called now) has misting bottles.  I might have to pick up another for seedlings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>