FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCompost Bin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compost Bin
    Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:33am
Who has one? Did you make one or buy one?

I'm considering starting one but don't really know how to go about it...any tips?
Sponsored Links

Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:00pm
We have bricks made into 3 sides and have spare bricks that can be removed off the front to allow access.
you need to keep them damp over summer as the damp helps it degrade.

we just throw everything in apart from weeds and corn cobs.

and every month use garden fork and toss it over, once its all slushy at the bottom scoop this out and use it in your garden.

If you want to be flash and have access to metal (or and old metal shower base - if doing this modify the drain so it has a hose with tap coming from it) you can make an angled bottom (not too steep) and put a spout with a tap on the end of a chute at the centre of the slope so its easier to get the really watery sludge thats the best and always just gets absorbed into the ground under your compost bin
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:14pm

We have ours on corogated iron sheets. We chuck everything but weeds on it and it gives us some extra plants over time.

Ours is in the corner of pur property and has done us well for a while now.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:45pm
I haven't built mine yet but have three wooden pallets to make sides and a back.  I'm thinking I will then cover it if necessary with a black sheet of plastic to retain heat.  Haven't quite decided where to put mine yet. 
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:56pm
We have a wooden one - about 600mm high and about the same square - we chuck everything organic into it.

It is great, saves on rubbish and stops your rubbish from smelling so bad too. Ours gets chucked in the garden when ready
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:21pm
You can get them from as cheap as $50ish at bunnings. I just got one, but wish I could have afforded the one that is on a stand and rotates.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 1:03pm

We have a plastic one that we got a few years ago. Put all food scraps (except meat and dairy) in it. Last time I turned it there was a mummy mouse with lots of babies in there so have avoided doing that since . So we keep putting stuff in it but haven't taken anything out. Not bad for 2 yrs! I imagine the stuff at the botttom would be great on the garden, so long is mousless!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:30pm

at the mice family, I shuddered at that.

Ours is also the compost that continues to give as well. I am hoping that I will grow pumpkins out of it as well as more potatoes and other things.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:11pm
We have a worm farm, can't put as much in as I would like but it is fun seeing the worms munch away at the food....took me three lots of worms to actually succeed tho...shame on being the worm killer!

I reckon that rotating compost bin would be awesome...I want to get one of those when we move home.

Oct 11
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:21pm
Blergh at the mouse family! I opened ours one day to see a rather large rat scamper out the back, and now give it a kick and wait a few secs before opening to scare the rats away!

We have the big plastic round ones from the warehouse, 2 of them (one for fresh scraps, other turned and "working"). We layer scraps and lawn clippings, and every month or so I stick the fork in and give it a quick lift to stop it going grotty.
 Post Reply Post Reply