FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStrawberries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawberries
    Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:55pm
Who is growing strawberries?

I saw some plants small-mid sized at Mitre 10 yesterday - is it too late for me to try growing these or if I buy the plants I should be okay?

Any tips for getting good results?
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 6:23pm

Nope not to late. Get some strawberry food and mix it into the dirt where you are going to plant them.

Give them lots of food and you may still get berries this season.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 6:30pm
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can also use tomato food if you have it.
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 9:36pm

I just planted up my plants last weekend.If you plant them in the garden (as opposed to strawberry planters, hanging baskets etc) make sure you put some pea straw or black plastic  around them so the berries don't rest on the ground.

Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:22am
Yeah you should definatly be fine to plant them now. We also tend to pick off all the flowers at this stage until mid november so the plant puts the energy in to getting bigger not growing strawbs so early.

Angel baby - May 2008
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 2:50pm
Thanks Hannahbil - great advice to pick off the flowers - my plants have got loads of flowers, but only useless tiny strawberries. That might be the problem!
MrsMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 5:44pm
i never thought about picking off the flowers. Last year when I had a strawberry plant I was just so excited about getting strawberries (gee anyone would think I was 4) that I didnt care about the size haha

will definately try that next time though
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 9:47pm
We have picked 4 big red strawberries already. I call my DD (4years) whenever I see one and the whole neighbourhood can hear the shreiks of delight. So funny and such good fun. Mine have been in a few months already so not much help on the plant now question.
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 9:51am
I just picked my second berry and mmmMMMMM are they so good. So juicy and sweet. I cant wait for the rest of the flowers to berry up
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 1:12pm
I just bought 4 for $10 at Bunnings, I chose some that had berries on them already even though the plants are still small! Am planting them today.
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 9:40pm
Oh is it too late now for strawberry plants to grow berries? My plant (got it off a friend in late November) is growing really well but no flowers or berries yet. It's in a pot outside. So I probably won't get any berries till next summer? (I'm not a gardener at all so not sure how it works!)
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:12pm
possibly in welly Rachelsea - is it very warm? they like lots of sun, water and give tham strab food - from the garden shop - the bonus would be they may be almost fruiting when you buy them and you wont have to wait long
http://lilypie.com]
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:00am
If they are treated right they can fruit all the way through to april. Our ones last year in a pot done that, I just put on some fertaliser once a week and had them in a nice warm sunny spot

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:09pm
Oh I didn't know that about fertiliser - all I do is water them once a day. They are in a sunny warm spot, will look out for some strawberry food/fertiliser (who knew there was such a thing as strawberry food lol)
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:26pm
lol you can use most types of fertiliser, I mainly use worm juice from my worm farm, but it doesnt matter really.

Post Reply Post Reply