FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRag rug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rag rug
    Posted: 23 October 2010 at 6:14pm

I don't know whether this is a bit rude to ask or not but I figure I'll ask anyway and see!

I'm going to have a go at making a shaggy rag rug for my DDs bedroom and I'm hoping to make it from secondhand materials.  I'm wondering if anyone has odds and ends of fabric, old clothes they want to get rid of or are throwing out, or bits of ribbon they don't want?  The colours I'm after are any shade of green or pink and I think I can pretty much use any fabric except silk (I'm happy for a bit of a mix).  From what I've read I will need to cut up whatever I have into bits that are about 3-4 inches long by .5-1 inch wide so it really is just little bits you might have that wouldn't be useful for anything else.

I'd be really grateful for any cast offs that people have.

Oh, and I'd also love to know whether anyone else has made one and has any tips!

Sponsored Links

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:20pm
Did you have any offers??? sounds like a good idea, if I was in NZ I would have a look...will have a look anyway see if I have anything suitable...not likely to have pink but might have green.

Remember to post a pic when it is finished!

Oct 11
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:50am
Will have a look for greens and pinks i have. do you mind what type of green or pink? Have alot of scraps that i just cant bring myself to throw out coz you never know when it might be needed lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 5:22pm

No offers yet but that's okay.  MyLilSquishy I don't mind what shades of pink or green.  In my head I'm imagining a dark green border that graduates to a lighter shade of green, then random pinks through the middle.

Nutella I just hope I can create something useable!  I'd be thrilled if it turned into something I could post a photo of!

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 7:47am
if you PM me your addy happymumma - ill send you my pink and green scraps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 7:47pm

Done!

Thank you so much!

thetravelbugtribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetravelbugtribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 9:28pm
How did this go happymumma? I remember my mum making me a braided rag rug when I was a kid, and reading this post has got me thinking about making one for my daughter. I might try a red / orange / brown / yellow combination, just random depending on what fabric I can find.

How did you make your shaggy rug? I had a quick google and it looks like fun, what did you use for the base?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2011 at 6:58pm

twotravelbugs it is really easy to do.  Mine is still being made - I got sidetracked making curtains!  I have used a hangi sack as a base but you could just buy hessian from Spotlight (my sacks cost me $3 for three and they are easy to get the fabric through).  You just cut your fabric into strips about 1 inch by 3 inches and then thread them through each hole so that the two ends of each piece of fabric are facing the same way.  If you pack them in reasonably tightly they just stay there by themselves rather than needing knotting.  Apparently the knots make it less comfortable to walk on. 

Mine has changed a bit in the planning and beginning of it.  I'm doing a thick blue border with a whole pile of colours in the centre. 

Oh...I would also highly recommend a rotary cutter for creating all the little fabric pieces.  I have been cutting using scissors which is why my rug isn't finished yet - it takes many, many little pieces to fill the rug!!

Post Reply Post Reply