FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorm Farm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worm Farm
    Posted: 27 October 2010 at 1:29pm

OK how does it work and what do you need to do.

I want one but they seem so expensive in the shops.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 3:30pm
if you do a google you will probably find instructions on how to make one... you will need to buy the worms though. essentially it is two layers though, the bottom one collects the worm "juice' which you can use on your garden, the top layer has holes in for the "juice" to get through and of course the worms... they eat most food scraps, but they dont like citrus (and i think meat is a no no but not really sure about that one) and you can also put in things like your egg cartons...

an alternative is the boksahi bucket...

bokashi link

its kind of the same principle but no worms and you use this stuff to sprinkle on your waste and you squash it all down and when it is full you leave it sit for a week or two and then you can dig it into your garden. you can keep the bokashi inside as opposed to worms an it doesnt smell. you cant put meat or liquid in it though. and you have to buy the replacement stuff to put in with your waste.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 4:13pm
I have one- its great. We have the round black one, it has 3 layers with holes and one bottom layer that catches the juice. You start out with one layer and work your way up to three, and then empty out the bottom layer onto your garden and put it on top etc.... The juice is fabulous, I water it down about 10-1 ratio and put on my veges once a week.

The rules are no meat, dairy, citrus, bread, onion/garlic. They also dont like too much of one item, and will not touch celery leaves (smart worms!) The best thing is to chop items up smaller, so not whole fruit. Put a sheet of wet newspaper over the top of them at all times, and keep moist. Put them in the shade, with not to much rain. we had ours on the west coast in the garage due to the rain.

I would recommend one, they go hand and hand with a compost as they only need food a couple of times a week, the rest can go in the compost. gosh, a novel, anymore questions ask away.

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 8:51pm
You can basically make them out of anything- the good thing with the layered ones you buy is that as each layer fills to the top with food you can add another layer and keep feeding the worms. We have a 4 layer one (one to collect juice and three for food scraps) but don't have a compost bin and that suits 2 adults and one child.

Once the food has been digested and turned into worm poos it is ready to add to the garden (crumbly soft mud like texture). I used to separate the worms from the poo but its time consuming so now I take a bit of the poo/compost, add it to the next layer up with a bunch of worms in it and empty the whole thing into my vege garden. The veges are doing amazingly well.
 Post Reply Post Reply