FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSewing Machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewing Machines
    Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:13pm
I am going to get myself a new sewing machine for christmas.

I use my Mums trusty old Bernina at the mo, but want one of my own.

Any sewing machine recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 9:11pm
I've got a Brother 2600 from Spotlight.

Its a pretty good machine, does all I need it to and was only $200!
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:55pm
I got myself a Bernette last year, which is a cheaper version of Bernina.
It was on special, and I think it was $299.

I was advised to go with Bernina, as it is a very reputable brand, and apparently Brother machines have quite a few problems.
Mind you, this is all hearsay. (I Holland I had my mum's old Singer - never any problems, but too heavy to bring over)

I just see you are in Chch too, check out the little Bernina shop in Colombo street (across from South City). They often have specials on. If they don't have any now, they will have soon for Xmas. The ladies are extremely helpful. When you buy a machine there you can always drop in with questions and they will help you out.
becsscolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becsscolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 1:53pm
Go Bernina.

I have my Mum's old one that bought when she was pregnant with me , she only upgraded because she couldn't get a running foot for her quilting - she has another Bernina now.

Which reminds me, must go sew that wrap skirt while the boys are sleeping!!
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 7:22am
I have a Brother, can't remember what the model was but it was $299 new, I paid $100 off Sella.
Does the job :D
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 8:45am
love Brother. (borrowing mums spare machine... not fair lol) but when i get one i will be looking at Brother again.
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 9:47am
Great thanks for all the suggestions. Will check out brother and bernina and see what the best deal is.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 3:04pm
I have a brother that my DH got me...if I had looked for one myself I wouldn't have gotten this one...it does the job but the one thing I wish it did was adjusting stitch length and width....I think there are about two options for length and width which just ain't quite enough!
My mums machine did fancy stitches too, quite a lot of them which I used so sorta wish I had a few more fancy ones..it has some but not as many!

Oct 11
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 8:21pm
I spent a bit more and got a janome (just an entry level one - the breast cancer one). It is really good :-) Definitely go and and suss out the range.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 8:10am
I just got a Brother NS10 it's on special at spotlight down from $600 to $450. It's two models up from the Brother 2600. Haven't used it yet as it's my Xmas present from hubby and he won't let me touch it till after Xmas. But will let you know what I think once I do. Certainly looks the part lol. Comes with a 5 year warranty as well.

Edited by lisa85

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 1:05pm
I have decided on the Bernette 56 - on special at the moment, down from $460 to $350.

I am going to pick it up this week!
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2010 at 11:12pm
That's the one I have. I think it's really nice, very easy to work with, and it's got an amazing amount of stitches (which I'll probably never use ).

A few weeks ago, one of the ladies in the shop spend more than an hour showing me all the different stitches and telling me what they were for.
Now I just need my DD to start sleeping a bit more, so I get a change to try them all out.

Hope you enjoy your new machine!
 Post Reply Post Reply