FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA couple of things..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dani01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of things..
    Posted: 20 November 2010 at 10:15pm
First thing, I am SO excited about an Itti I have just purchased. I've never seen one (apart from pictures) or used one so I'm really excited and everyone just seems to boast so much about them! I got a large cos DD is about 10Kg, so I'm assuming that's all okay. Tis 2nd hand, but will suit us fine to try out.

Now, Pop-Ins. DD wears these at night time and she does not have a fat belly, she just has the normal puku that sticks out, but the pop-ins seem to only just do up, is this normal?

Also, how do you wash your cloth nappies, I have asked before about smells and stuff but I'm reading different things and some people seem to wash them more than once?

When I take DD's nappies off, she normally has a liner and if its a poo it goes into the toilet then nappy straight into a nappy bucket, now these sit around for a few days and when you open it the stench that comes out is horrendous...now obviously nappies are going to smell, but phwwoaar surely this doesn't help with the after wash smell factor???
Sponsored Links

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 11:17pm
I never liked the idea of chucking them into a bucket dirty and then leaving them for a few days, for that reason lol

So I did a load of nappies everyday! I also rinsed them first and then put them in the bucket with napisan, so they got a bit of a soak and then I chucked them into the machine to wash. I would either hang them out at night or the morning...usually at night though, and if it was a sunny day next day id leave them outside, as the sun helps get stains out.

Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 8:54am
For the pop ins I've ended up just letting out all the pops to the largest size (K has big thighs doesn't help) and I do it up under the belly button so around the waist rather than round the tummy. its really funny when she leans back it gapes something terrible but is tightly done up. (She also has the pokey out puku)

I do the same as you Dani, flick poos off (I use fleece liners) and rinse, for anything else I just put in bucket, i wash every second day, every time i empty the bucket i give it a quick wipe and every second wash i sprinkle some tea tree oil in, its anti bacterial and smells a LOT nicer.

Otherwise as sheza recommends, rinse all your nappies, that will help with the smell as there will not be as much ammonia lying around.

ETA, I wash them on heavy load cycle with the spin speed set down to 600 and add a rinse. It has a presoak in built, as well as like 3 rinses etc. Hehe its an easy frontloader machine, even tells you how long to go.

Edited by Kalimirella
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 10:56am
A do a rinse cycle and then a wash and sometimes either use vinegar or canstean wash in the fabric soft dispenser during the wash.   

We wash pretty much every day too, I've just got into the rhythm of it, plus the bucket is usually pretty much full after one day anyway!
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 2:52pm
EEk sheza don you soak your nappies.  Your not suppose to. Depending on what the are of course.
I dry bucket. BUt a new tirck i've learnt is I put a old flat cloth nappy in the bottom of the bucket and a few drops tea tree oil on it first and then the nappies go ontop. I don't have a lid on it as well. I've noticed theres been a bit of flies lately so that might neeed to change. But I use one of them flexi buckets, and I wash everyday. I have 2 kiddies in nappies though.

My wash is a heavy duty, full cycle, high water level with baking soda.

I'm yet try my pop in. It arrived yetsterday and its  being pre washed. 
 Maybe your girl has big hips or a nice big bum.   

Hmm itti's, yay they are cute. I loce my bitti boo. I've been using that at night on DD but DS he can' wet through an itti in an hour.
Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 3:35pm
We tip solids in the toilet and rinse any left behind. Nappies with wees just go in the nappy bin. We always have the lid on as I have a dog who I just can't trust!
We wash nappies every day or every 1 1/2 days. I do a cold water rinse and then wash at 40 degrees. Our nappy bucket gets a rinse and then an airing outside for 1/2 hour or so.
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 5:27pm
all this talk of pop ins made me google them and i couldn't help myself but buy one too lol.

also, I dry pail. poop gets flushed with flushable liner, any remnant gets rinsed off then nappy in bucket. wet nappies just go straight in bucket- bucket has a lid. I then just put them in with all other washing either on a cold wash or a warm wash, and air bucket outside for a bit. Should I be doing a rinse cycle on my nappies before adding the rest of the clothes?
Dani01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 9:12pm
Thanks for all the responses, it's really helping me.

LostAmber I don't wash my nappies with clothes - simply because I don't want that nappy smell getting onto my clothes.

What is canastean? Where can I find it.

Also I've heard about lux flakes or soap flakes or something? Where do I find these, and are these good for naps?
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 10:34pm
Definitely don't use Lux or soap flakes for your nappies! Not good for them.

Pop-Ins on my son look like they barely do up too, and he has a skinny waist for a 21 month old and only a bit of chub to his thighs! Its possibly because of the size range they're supposed to fit for, i.e. at newborn size, they need to do up tightly, so by the time they get the larger settings the velcro tabs end up near the edges of the nappy, ifgwim.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 8:50am
We dry pail, do a wash every morning, if its a poo i wash it off straight away, I just do a normal wash in our machine, the nappies dont smell after being washed, and whatever things are left the sun will get them anyway!

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 10:05am
How many nappies do you need for full time cloth? I'm still a little hesitant to use cloth at night as we're only just getting more than 4hrs sleep in one go now, that I would hate her to wake with a wet bum and have to do a full change including the bed linen!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 9:52pm
I wash every 2nd day. Any poo's get flushed and everything goes into a dry pail to wait until washing day. It does smell a little (especially night nappies) but, its nothing outrageous. I do a cold wash and extra rinse at the end. Although I am swapping to soap nuts when my current powder runs out so should be able to bypass the extra rinse.

lostAmber - We are full time cloth. I have 14 daytime nappies (and about 4 backups - nappies I don't particularly like, but will do if I must). DS doesn't sleep well at night, generally up at least 4hourly, usually for milk. I use Bitti Boo's with two boosters for night and have never had a leak. Before doing cloth at night I was changing DS and the bed at least twice a night. It was ridiculous.

Post Reply Post Reply