FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFat quarters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat quarters
    Posted: 24 November 2010 at 3:04pm
I have come across a site with really cute fabric which they sell by the fat quarter (can get uncut 1/4s).

This got me thinking about what I could make out of 1 or 2 1/4s for DD. I'm thinking quick and easy projects as I prefer to do things start to finish in a session (or at least a day for when DD doesn't sleep well) or they end up in my cupboard for months!

I have made numerous shoes, blocks and a skirt. But I am sure there are more ideas out there so if you know of any tutorials or ideas post them here for some inspiration

link to site
Sponsored Links

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 10:47pm
Ooh, thanks for the link, that site looks awesome! I've been looking for some cool fabric to make a reversible sunhat out of, one for DS and one for me if it works!

So a reversible sunhat would be a quick and easy project for you!
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:46am
I have done a reversible hat recently to match a dress I made for DD. I have to get a photo of the outfit as I think it's really cute.

They have a FB page too which has heaps of pics of what others have made with the fabric for ideas but most use more than 1-2 FQ or are something I'll make when DD is older. I love the fabric and it is way more reasonably priced compared to quilting shops.

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 12:24pm
What pattern did you use for your hat, Esmesmum? I'm still looking for one that's easy for a complete novice, but looks stylish and cute!
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:04pm
I used one from a dress pattern I brought for DD. It was one that has multiple panels and it was pretty fiddly. I would say you'd need a little bit of sewing behind you before attempting it.

this pattern would be good

The hat I made is like the one middle top of the picture

this looks easy to make too

HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 11:58am
Theres a free online reversible bucket hat and a 48cm head uses fat quarter. Its only a one size pattern but I enlarged in on the copier to make it bigger.

Bucket hat
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 8:46pm
also try Sew Addictive Fabrics I shop from her all the time for my products. and she is so lovely! and is happy to get in pretty much whatever you need/want.

she is also cheaper and has patterns aswell. (some really great kids patterns)
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:04am
I love her patterns. I wanted to link to her shop as well but I'm not at home and I couldn't remember what the website was called!
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:50am
yeah she has some really gorgeous patterns. did you see on her facebook page that she is thinking about doing a monthly comp? she puts a pattern and some fabric on a really good special, then if interested, you buy it, make it and post on her FB page? i think the prize is more fabric?
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 10:10pm
Thanks for the links guys! HuMum, I just found that bucket hat pattern myself, that's the one I've decided to have a go at!
The online fabric stores look great, but I just got given a $50 Spotlight voucher from my parents (early birthday present!), so I might wait til I go through Palmy in a few weeks time and get some fabric there.   
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 3:26pm
I knew I shouldn't have looked in here

Have just bought some cute fabric hehehe, ooops
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

SewPretty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SewPretty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 3:32pm
Hi
This is Kirsty from Sew Pretty, thanks for all the comments and some orders! Keep up to date with us on Facebook, I am going to launch a Fat Quarter competition soon where the challenge will be to see what you could make with a FQ!

Always up for great sewing ideas, so do let me know if you find any great ones!

Kirsty
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 1:18pm
I have made my DD some rattle cubes using fat 1/4s....sooo easy and they look great! It took me about 10 minutes to make 1 using my machine.

Just get 2 fat 1/4s in colours that suit, or hey you could use as many different patterns/colours as you like I guess. Then cut them into 6 squares - any size you like, but I did 4 inch squares. Then just sew them together in a cube 'net' - look for one on the internet or do the easy one that I did - 4 in a row, then 1 on each end on opposite sides, if that makes sense. Carefully sew together to make the cube - I say carefully as you don't want to sew the wrong sides together or it won't work!

Before you sew the final side together, stuff with stuffing (from spotlight) and push a bell or 2 into the middle for a jingle sound. I made 1 cube with less stuffing so she can hold it easier, and that one makes more noise.

Then sew the final edge up and voila!
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 9:26pm
http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/09/fat-quarter-apron-tutorial.html

Also if you dare... the Sew Mama Sew! blog has heaps of gorgeous ideas and tutorials: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=751
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 5:27pm
www.spoonflower.com allows you to design your own, and you get a discount if you get your own fabric printed, just upload an image, choose the colours, effects and layouts and vola!

I have been unable to find fabric anywhere with turtles on, and managed to design my very own fabric panel with turtles all over it Cost almost $40 to get 1 yard, but thats enough to do 4 canvas blocks and a contrasted cushion cover for D's room!

Brandon - 05/12/2003

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 12:18pm
Awwww no! That owl fabric on the front page is gorg, and i'm so sure there is a nappy out there with that pattern too. I wish i could sew/had a daughter. Boy clothes look a bit...odd...in pink paisly!
 Post Reply Post Reply