FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked16 Month Routine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 Month Routine?
    Posted: 25 November 2010 at 12:33pm
Hi,

We are having a reasonable wake time period atm, so are regularly getting 11- 11 1/2 hours onight.

DD is slowly doing more and more moving so on some days is very tired and so has been going down for her nap at aroind 11.15 ish and going to sleep at 7.15. We have had some minior victories will her resettling at pre 6am wakings and going back to sleep after waking in the middle of a nap.

Now I think she's caught up on sleep and is prehaps resisting her nap at 11.30 and crying/grizzling for 10 mins before dropping to sleep at around 11.45. Given she's waking at 7am rather than 6am I guess this makes sense. I rather avoid this behaviour if possible as its easier on us both.

I was wondering what other's routines are for this age for toddlers on 1 nap a day (she refuses to have more than 1)? What time is the first nap - how many hours after waking?
Sponsored Links

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:13pm
At 16 months we started getting lots of nap resistance which led to night wakings etc etc. In the end I pushed her nap out so she would wake at 7am, sleep at 1-3pm, and bed at 7pm. She is now 21 months and still on this routine.

I found my DD needed a longer morning and was okay to go to bed at 7pm. Maybe try pushing the nap out to 12pm and see what happens?
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:15pm

At 16 months Ella was awake at 7am, sleep 11.30-2ish and in bed at 6.30/7pm.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:46pm
My DD is 15 months old, and her routine is basicly, Wake at about 6.30-7 for the day, then has a nap at about 10.30/11 unless we are out, but she usually sleeps in the car, then she goes to bed about 6/6.30 for the night.

My son started getting difficult at nap time from about 17 months old, some days he flattly refused to sleep and others he would be fine, but I found putting him to bed at 1 worked better, he would sleep a couple of hours and then go to be for the night at 7.30.

pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 7:38pm
DD 16months at the moment wakes generally between 6-7am, down for a nap at about 1pm for 2-2.5hours and bed at 7pm.

She doesnt have more than one nap either, even if it was just a quickee in the car. SO I avoid driving when she is due for a nap.

About once a week she might wake pre 6am. There is no way in hell we wouuld get her back down, and if she has a morning sleep cause she was up early she would only has a short one, so I prefer to wait till midday for a decent length nap.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:29pm
My youngest is now 20mos but most of this year she has just had the one nap, usually straight after lunch but on tired days she'll fall asleep before lunch or I'll have it slightly early for her. 12:30pm has been a good naptime for her, bed at 7:30pm and wake at 7:15am. One day sleep for 1 1/2 yr olds has been "norm" for my girls.
RachelBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:58pm
My DD is 14 months, but has dropped to one sleep.

She gets up for the day around 7am (can be up to 45 mins either side). Her sleep is at 11.30, and she is down until at least 1.15 - today I ended up waking her just after 2pm. Bedtime is officially 7pm, but we are usually running a bit late so she is asleep by 7.30.

Like a PP, I avoid car rides of any distance when she is due for her sleep. I can usually transfer her if I have to, but its a PITA so would rather avoid it if possible!
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 12:31pm
DD here is up at 5.30 :( down again at 9 till 10.30 and thats her until 7.30 where she frequently wakes every hour through the night after 11.
We are at a complete loss.....if I try to push her sleep out she is a complete grump and fights it till 1pm ish so not to hijack but any advice would be gold!
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 1:31pm
jjands - early waking is the bane of everyone's life! Am not sure why it happens sometimes, a slightly earlier bedtime sometimes works though and complete physicial tiredness so they are so exhausted they crash out.
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 1:42pm
hehe the bane of my DH's he's so good to me! Ok will try slightly earlier and a full on day :) Thanks
Rainbow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 6:49pm
My 16 month old is up 6.30-7am and naps again at 12.30pm. Any longer than 1.5 hours sleep really messes his nights. He has never needed a lot of day sleep but on the days I let him sleep for 2+ hours then he won't settle at night for ages or else wakes through the night or very early the next day!!

jjands - the early morning nap at 9 could encourage an early wake up (so lots of people say anyway) - so perhaps keeping your little one super busy and distracted to try and stretch that wake time out a bit - very hard though when your DD has been up since 5.30am - but in the long run it may work....
and just to confuse matters more - the stretch from 10.30 to 7.30pm is very long so perhaps she is going to bed overtired which in my experience leads to a very unsettled night and an early wake up. Could you bring bedtime to around 7 or even a bit earlier?

edited to add more stuff!!

Edited by Rainbow

Post Reply Post Reply