FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwhich cot mattress protector?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pencils View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pencils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which cot mattress protector?
    Posted: 27 November 2010 at 12:06pm
which cot mattress protector?

Hi
My baby girl is nearly 8 weeks old and is getting too big for her bassinet. At the moment we're using a wool dri cot mattress protector which has been great. It was from nz wool blankets. Unfortunately they don't make them in a bigger size for cots. The only one I could find that was suitable for cots was by Nature Baby. I've used a Baby First mattress protector but found that it made my daughter sweat in her sleep. Can anyone recommend a good brand of mattress protector for a cot? Many thanks
Sponsored Links

stefany3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefany3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 1:14pm
We got a Dr Sprott Mattress Protector, from Baby Factory.
His theory is that mattresses have heaps of chemicals in them, than slowly leak out, and can cause cot death. But his protector keeps it from leaking out.
It's also good because it does protect the matress from leaks.
Dr Sprott recommends putting a special 100% cotton cover over the top, but we just put a couple of 100% cotton towels on top of the protector as it can make crinkly sounds, but it doesnt worry DS.

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 1:30pm
how big is your wool dri cot blanket? you probably dont need to to run the full length of the cot, just the bit that is likely to get wet.

i have a dr sprott mattress protector too, and will be using a dricot also
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 4:33pm
I have a dri-cot i brought from farmers - its made by swandri, bizarrely, and though i havent tested it personally i have heard from friends that its good. And yes, it is cot size - i think it was around $50 full price.
pencils View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pencils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 8:10pm
i didn't know swandri made dri-cots!!! thought they only made great big whopping bush shirts. But I might have venture to Farmers and have a look.

My bassinet dri-cot mattress protector is 70 x 90 cm, My baby is one of those spilly babies so I probably need something that is going to cover the whole mattress and not just part of it.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 8:25pm
I have a swandri one too, was told their the best because they aren't plastic/etc backing, just plain old wool!

However mine is just a square but I got 2 of them one for top half, one for bottom half and just place it according to how she is sleeping (also have spares.)
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 11:51pm
Right!? Who would have thought swandri did things that werent red and white check? They also had a gorgeous air-cell wool blanket which i wanted but it was a bit pricey as i recall!

You know the swandri ones go hard anyway, i had one for my cot when i was a bub (i'm 23) and the dog sleeps on it to this day!
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 8:20am
I got one of the swandri ones from farmers - I think it was $40 new, but I got it for $28 or so in a sale (That would make sense...I think it was a 30% off sale).
I folded it in half for the bassinet, and now use it for the cot - width wise it takes up the width of the cot, length wise, it's short, but I just put it on the end that DD sleeps on.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 11:48am
I've used Big Softies cot liners. You can get them from Baby city. Really good, never had a leak with them. Wash easily & dry super fast.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 2:41pm
I use a nature baby wool one - I got it from Wobble, absolutely it!
pencils View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pencils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 4:03pm
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Appreciate the help.
Chanae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 10:12pm
http://www.babytrenz.co.nz/shop/MATTRESS+PROTECTORS/Wool+Cot+Mattress+Protectors.html
or
http://www.organicbaby.co.nz/shop/nursery/linen.aspx
or
http://www.naturebaby.co.nz/organic-wool-mattress-protector-p-186.html
or
http://www.babyfactory.co.nz/afawcs0156955/CATID=144/ID=1161/SID=633301820/Lullaby-Dreams-Dricot.html
or
http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/shop/linen/mattress-protectors/bassinet
or
http://www.surplusdirect.co.nz/default/mattress-protector.html
or
http://www.mamamaternity.co.nz/shop/woolmark-warm-dry-mattress-protector/

Edited by Chanae
PerryWestley158339 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerryWestley158339 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2014 at 8:29pm
Being a parent I am always concerned about my baby and baby’s health &comfort. We can illustrate our comfort need but a child can’t, so I prefer to do best for my baby. I prefer natural cot mattress for my baby for her comfort.
http://www.latexcotmattress.com.au/standard/
melissa266031 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melissa266031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 10:12am
Hello,
I have a 2-year-old son I want some suggestion, I recently bought a new mattress through Luma Sleep coupons, but my son doing pee on it, How I can protect my mattress, any solution?
 Post Reply Post Reply