FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeartburn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heartburn
    Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:09am
For those that suffer heartburn do you have foods that trigger it off???

Im only 8 weeks and had the worse heartburn last night so slept sitting up.

I also had bad heartburn all pregnancy with dd, but i cant remember what foods use to set it off

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:26am
I dont think anything in particular triggers it TBH, I got it from everything , Ask you midwife for something to stop it if its really bad, its soo painful and you go a wee way to go to put up with that!

Congrats by the way! have a happy pregnancy!
http://lilypie.com]
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:35am
My mum got bad heartburn and she took titrilac, and ate them like lollies lol Your MW can give you a script for them.

AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:58am
Gosh you poor thing - if it's that bad at 8 weeks I can only imagine what it'll be like further on.

I have a few random things which I know set mine off - banana cake, chocolate chip biscuits, greasy oily things. Although a lot of the time I get it and have no idea why. I use gaviscon liquid at home which is pretty gross but does the trick, and titralac tablets when I'm out. Or a cold milo seems to help too (well it'd be the milk helping not the milo I'm sure, but I don't like milk by itself).
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 9:07am
ok thanks ladies. I used titrilac with dd but it didnt seem to help too much. Might get some though its better than nothing.

Looks like ill have another baby with a head full of hair
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 9:21am
I really hope that wives tale is true, as i've been having chronic heartburn for some time now!!

Fried things, spicey things, fizzy things are my main triggers, though it seems to also extend to vegetables, flour, nuts and chocolate oddly. I can't cut everything out so i am living on titrilac and drink about 2 litres of flavoured milk a day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 9:38am
I took ranitine, it stopped it almost entirely until right near the end, its available on script or at the pharmacy
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 11:05am

I used ranitidine too, and it was great. I could tell if I missed a dose in the morning. I had the worst heartburn by mid-afternoon. My DD had some hair but not much. I have no idea what set it off though sorry

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:13pm
Ugh,heartburn, I get bad heartburn every time, the type that wakes me in the middle of the night.
For me it seems to be acidic foods/drinks and spicy foods,but then its also weetbix,water,ricies etc etc....with C I had titralac,loved them,almost got addicted
With Ty gaviscon seemed to work for it and with this one the only thing that works is milk , which pleases my DH immensley when im going through a 3L nearly every day ....

Is Rantadine the same as Zantax? cos that doesn't work for me.

Oh and, 2 things, I TOTAL WIVESTALE ...I had really bad heartburn with both,C and she was as bald as an egg..didn't get hair till she was over a year old .
,Ty had lots of hair and it took 3 days AFTER Ty was born for my heartburn to go

Edited by TheKelly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 9:42am
yeah its the same thing kelly, there is also losec , which you can get over the counter now and on script too
weeheebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeheebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 11:44am
pretty much any food or drink is setting me off at the moment (and has done for months).Water is the absolute worst.
No eating or drinking within an hour or two of bed helps a little.
i prefer the gaviscon tablets to the liquid - they seem to work better for me (now no-one say i'm not supposed to be taking them, please)

I've heard something somewhere about pawpaw but not sure what or where or even if it was pawpaw (yeah super helpful I know)

Edit to add: At one stage the reflux was so severe I was spewing whole meals up thinking it was still morning sickness but realising a little later it was reflux. I had to start taking something before I ate so I could eat and keep it down.

Edited by weeheebaby
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 8:02pm
Liquid Gaviscon.
Love it (well actually it's not great tasting but I couldn't live without it).
Almost anything will set mine off. I also get ti quite bad mid-moring when I get hungry.
becsscolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becsscolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 1:03pm
Liquid Gaviscon for me too...
I found that sweet things seemed to set it off. Milk was great too for easing things. I remember sleeping upright in bed, but fortunately not til towards the end, you poor thing.

Have you talked to your midwife? or GP? They should have the answers! All the best...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 7:05pm
My midwife also talked to me about ranitidine at my appointment the other day - said I can take that if it gets really bad. Might be something to talk to your midwife about?
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 8:42pm
Not sure if someone else has already said but eating almonds is suppose to help whilst it's happening.

I had tomato soup for dinner and now I have terrible heartburn, first time this pregnancy, guess it must have just been too acidic.

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 8:51pm
Well it seems like the other nights bad case was a once off. I havent had it since. YET.

Ill get something this week so i have it for when needed.
CaitlinsMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaitlinsMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 9:37pm
Raw almonds work a treat! or a little bit of fresh pineapple also.
Paw paw tablets which you buy at a health store are fantastic!

Does anyone know about quickeze? are we allowed to take those?

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:54am
Eww heartburn! I've started getting this with a vengeance, even a sip of water sets it off got some Quickeez yesterday which relieve it while it's in my mouth but it comes back once it's gone if it's anything like my pregnancy with DD I'll have it right till the moment bubs pops out!
I googled natural remedies the other day because I was desperate and hadn't bought anything yet, and came accross a drink which helped a bit. A teaspoon of lemon, teaspoon of ginger and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of luke warm water. I didn't have any honey though so maybe it would have lasted longer if there was honey in there?
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:47pm
With Ty I still had it 3 days AFTER giving birth .

Im sick of heartburn,and the only thing that helps a bit is milk,im going through almost 3litres a day and well, milk isn't cheap.
DH looked up heartburn relief and triggers last night and basically anything fatty, spicy ,acidic sets it off, water always sets it off for me too,im up every half hour at night going out to the kitchen to skull back more milk ,but apparently sleeping with your head more elevated helps as well,so I will try that and your lemon honey ginger concoction Rachel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:52pm
I am so over this too! I used to have to sleep sitting up by the end of my last pregnancy. Anything seems to trigger it this time - cakes, biscuits etc are particularly bad, and anything fizzy, but I also get it after toast, just had avocado and bread for lunch and have it grrr.
I'm going to ask my midwife about ranitidine or whatever it was she mentioned at my next appointment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>