FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFigs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Figs
    Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:03pm
I have been babying my fig tree for about 5 years now. It was planted in a big barrel - one of those old fashioned wooden ones, big enough for me to get in. It has no bottom so by now the fig may well have grown into the ground.

When i got her she was only about a foot tall and threw out a handful of teeny little fruits which i plucked off (thinking this would let her mature and grow instead of making food).

Last year i thought id let her try and produce fruit, since she's now about 8 foot tall and quite mature, she gets green figs to about the size of a golf ball, sometimes a little bigger but they don't ripen.

I'm wondering what to do for her this year to actually get some fruit! Does she need to be fertilized by another fig? Should i pluck most of the immature fruits off (there are loads, maybe too much for her to grow?) If i feed her some special food will it give her more energy to produce fruit or is it as simple as needing to get her a friend!?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

Gardengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2010 at 11:02pm
I have 2 huge fig trees which will be heavily laden with fruit which won't ripen quite to the point of being edible. They almost make it, but not quite, and figs need to ripen on the tree. You don't need another tree - your tree is fruiting.

I don't know where you are but I am in Sth Canterbury and I've come to the conclusion that my trees just don't get quite long enough a summer. Figs crop twice (so don't pluck those first figs, give them a chance), and I lose my first crop to late frosts and my second crop to early autumn frosts. I probably do need to look at how I feed them though.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 10:12am
I'm in South Canterbury too - i think i know where you live and we're in the same town so thats probably my problem too, i did read they like 8 hours of sun a day and i don't know if shes getting that.
Gardengirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardengirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 4:19pm
Oh yes, I think we are local to each other Mine get the 8 hours on a sunny day, well, the larger one is, it's North facing. But I don't know if there are enough warm enough days.
 Post Reply Post Reply