FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior
    Posted: 16 January 2011 at 8:55pm

Anyone else read 'Why Chinese Mothers are Superior' by Amy Chua (article published in Wall Street Journal last week)?  What was your reaction?

It is certainly a thought-prokoving article. Although a bit unfair that WSJ slapped that title on the story and didn't provide more context about how the excerpt fits in with the rest of her book.  See Amy's response to readers' comments here.  This article also provides an interesting perspective: 'In Defense of the Guilty, Ambivalent, Preoccupied Western Mom'.

Personally, I'm enjoying reliving all the small marvels and excitments of being a kid again, vicariously, through parenting. The thought of spending so many hours practicing stuff over and over again with my kids to help them excell sounds ... to be blunt ... boring!  But I can see how believing in your kid and showing them they really can do something if they try hard enough can be rewarding for both parent and child.

Sponsored Links

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 7:46am
Really interesting article, and the responses are also good. Not that I agree with all of it at all... but certainly there are some valid points!!!

Good for a read, thanks for posting!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 4:49pm
^^ agreed.

There was an article in a recent treasures mag along similar lines, about parenting in different cultures. Most of the woman said they couldnt believe how laid back NZ was. I think the chinese woman said she didnt understand why the grandparents werent more involved.

Some things to think about in that link there.

thanks
Anonymous55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:44pm
I read it and as much as the theory sounds like it's got some valid points I totally disagree and think, in reality, it's total BS...

Having lived in AKL a few years back I've met quite a few Asians and a lot of them are socially inept. I think this kind of upbringing is fostering this.

You end up with a soldier that may excell at some things but they will be inevitably unbalanced emotionally. Their social skills suffer and in the end you can't succed without people skills in this world.......
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:55pm
What about when all that pressure is too much? The time I spent in Japan, they put a lot of pressure on being successful and it seemed like people were committing suicide left, right and center!

I do have Asian friends here who did experience most of those things growing up but not all, and to get anything lower than the highest grade simply wasn't acceptable and so things like sleepovers, going out etc were banned (and this is someone who was over 18!)

My family is Western and I was raised for the most part quite similar to most of the points on the Chinese article.
 Post Reply Post Reply