FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest piece of ’well-meaning’ advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:28pm
"don't buy too many NB nappies - my baby was only in them for two weeks"
YOUR baby was 10lb12oz it's no wonder.
"Don't buy too many clothing items in NB size - My baby was only in them for a couple of weeks"
Again, your baby was 10lb12oz

I hated random people asking if I thought of any names. No, I wasn't planning on naming him actually.

When you have a newborn EVERYONE asks if they're a good sleeper, a good feeder, are you breastfeeding then proceed to tell their stories of cracked nipples and sleepless nights..

Even now, at 9months one of the most common questions is 'is he sleeping all night' then when I say no it's followed by things like oh it's coz he needs formula.

*rolls eyes*
Sponsored Links

Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:52pm
I went and saw my GP at 4 weeks and he told me that morning sickness is all in your head, and if I think im going to get it, i probably will.

When I was throwing up 10+ times a day 2 weeks later I really felt like throwing up on his shoes....
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 4:23pm
@KerryLea Haha, guess you should've stopped thinking about that morning sickness :P

Mum has told me to visit my Grandma and ask for baby advice, but not take any of it ^_^
One of her popular tips is to put salt in baby's bottle.
Keolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 4:30pm
I'm 21 and have been married for almost 3 years.. so at first it was:
'you're so young, are you sure you're ready for this?' UHH NAH! I didn't think about this at all.

then: 'Ah, you're married young, have any kids?' no, am I not allowed to just be married?

and now its: 'Oh you're pregnant! you're gonna be so tired, kids are hard work!'
Do they think I don't know that?! *sigh

People always ask about the Morning Sickness thing, I was lucky enough not to get any and people have said 'oh well, maybe you'll get some later'.. not everyone gets it! Can't they be happy I'm not throwing up every day? sheesh!

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 4:51pm
I just had this one today: I saw a casual friend in the supermarket and she told me "whatever you do, don't stand up straight after the birth - i did and it was like a bloody niagra falls" which is probably great advice but a little shocking to hear out of the blue from someone you're not that close to in a supermarket! Her other tip was "Try not to eat too much afterwards, it'll hold of having to poo for an extra few days and thats a good thing"
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 5:44pm
Pillow_fight! Arghh! I had the don't buy too many NB items too! I bought some home and my mum and grandma said they were far too small for a NB and that I should get 3-6 sizing for it to fit lmao Lily didn't even fit NB it was too big!
MrsMJD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 6:58pm
When I was looking for a midwife I had one tell me "you probably won't need asthma medication during your pregnancy, most women get much better" after more than 20yrs needing medication I don't think so! the rockstar comment was "What do you do for a job" (I'm a Nurse working in general practice) "Oh well you have to stop that, nasty disgusting job" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Needless to say I didn't choose her!!!
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:30pm
Grandmas really have the worst advice. Mine told that I should be starting the baby on solids, or at the very least put him on formula by 2 - 3 months.
And now again with DS2 she has been telling me that he will definately need to be on solids soon....he is 7 weeks old!
MIL tried to give DS1 some lemonade when he was a month old, and told me how babies need sugar in their diets!!!

And a guy at my work (who I barely knew) made a special point about speaking to me to pass on his tips for giving birth!!! And he was serious!
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:55pm
Man some of these are awful!!

I also get the 'gosh, you'll be busy' comment when I've got DS and now look huge.

When I was about 32 weeks with DS I had just finished a work meeting and one of the younger girls with no children and I got talking (actually, it was more of 20 questions) but a few I've never forgotten!!!

"Will the baby sleep through the night when you bring it home?" hmmm

"do you think it will look look like you or your husband at all??"

HER "Are you actually giving birth or are you having a cesarean?" ME "Ill be giving birth naturally" (or so I thought) HER "that's disgusting and I don't think it's a good idea. I'm never actually giving birth, I'm only having a cesarean, I don't want to be torn to shreds when it comes out!"

Charming.. I was already a bit worried about the birth so thank goodness for input like this lol

And from another friend "if the baby doesn't sleep just put some brandy in with the milk and it will go straight to sleep"

Thankfully by that stage I had learned the smile and nod technique!

Edited by MrsEmma

crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:55pm
dear lord some people are nutbars!

well meaning no doubt but total nutbars!

hehe no crazy advice here but this thread cracked me up.

Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:42pm
It wasn't advice but I had a comment "so are you going to have one last night partying? Get trashed one more time?" me ahhh no "oh being a goody goody are ya"

WTF
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

I just had this one today: I saw a casual friend in the supermarket and she told me "whatever you do, don't stand up straight after the birth - i did and it was like a bloody niagra falls"

LMAO I'm sorry but I have to agree with that one (I gave birth standing up). But I don't go around telling people about it
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

QTMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QTMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:27pm
This is a great thread!

I just love the people who ask if I know what I'm having. When i say yes it's a girl (or boy in DS's case) they then tell me off for finding out! Why ask FFS.

Or oh no you've spoilt the surprise giving birth won't be as special. Umm no we had a lovely surprise when we found out at the scan and I'm sure I won't be bored when my child is born and I get to meet them for the first time.

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:47pm
Its no less a surprise at 20 (or however many you were at the scan) weeks than it is at birth!

I get asked if we've found out by just about everyone too, when we say yes we know, they somehow expect us to tell them... love seeing the looks on their faces when we say we're keeping it under the hat til birth though hehe
Brandon - 05/12/2003

BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:51pm
I can't think of any advice as such but I remember being continuously being asked when DD was a newborn "So what is she meant to be doing now?" I honestly never knew what to say I was just trying to go with the flow, sometimes I wanted to say "Well I asked her to clean her room but she still has not done it"
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:05pm
hehe, this is a giggle

My nana said to me at christmas OMG are you still feeding her, she will still be sucking off you when she goes to school - um yeah she is only 6 months old
She often says If you just give her a bottle I could do that for you... yeah I kinda like it this way nan - and I have have had to work really hard to be able to do it!
We are trying for number 3 and Nan says oh no, you cant have them close together - her kids are 9 and 7 years apart - sorry Nan - I dont want to have one at 40 just because you did

Dad says on hearing Im pregnant again - Oh are you sure you can handle it (excuse me !) I coped with the first one and she wasnt a walk in the park dad
On hearing I was having a c section - oh what - thats the easy way out - WTF - um actually dad its major surgery - first time I was in a wheelchair for a week - its not like I asked for it!!~

Super market chic - when I was shopping with both my girls - oh what did you have - A girl I replied - oh thats sad - maybe you will get a boy next time
My old boss - are they to the same father
http://lilypie.com]
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:08pm
oh and one more - I was locuming at a pharmacy when I was about 30 weeks with number 2 - a woman says oh is this your first - I say nono number 2, I have another girl - she says Oh my - girls are having babies so young these days arent they - I say, well I was 31 when I had my first - how old do I need to be! She thought I must have been about 25 - apparently thats too young!!
karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:30am
I get the 'do you know what you're having?' I just say 'yes, a baby!' which usually shuts them up.

My fav comment was not given to me, but a co-worker many years ago when leaving on maternity leave (her first). My boss, trying to be reassuring, said that his wife likened childbirth to 'passing a slowly rotating pineapple'. That one's always stuck with me for some reason ...
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:35am
Thats incredible (and a little terrifying at this point!)

I got told of by a girl (no kids, no desire to have them) the other day because i mentioned my desire to have as much of a drug free birth as possible. Apparently i'm holding woman back, that modern medicine has given me a way out but my refusal to use it is hurting the womans lib movement. Figure that out!?
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:03am
Some of these are awful!! Hila1, couldn't believe people would say that to you!!
Pillow_fight - what the heck??!
And raspberry jam - that comment from your boss was shocking!!

i had one lady at the supermarket ask me every time I came in from about 6 months onwards, "still havnt had that baby yet huh?" and then proceed to tell me it must be a boy because I was putting weight on in my bum!

ETA: It was a girl...

Edited by MuppetsMama
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>