FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest piece of ’well-meaning’ advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:22am
Oh yeah, don't you love it how everyone can just look at you and 'know' what you're having lol. Even people who don't know you from a bar of soap and have no idea what you look like normally!

A slowly rotating pineapple...wtf? That one's going to stick in my head too.

Sponsored Links

Lillybetts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillybetts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:43am
My childless friend asked me (about 12 hours after i had a c-section) "are you home yet? I'd like to come see you!" - She knew I had had a 43 hour labour then emergency CS. She also went on to ask me 2 days later if we would all like to go out to dinner that night?!?!?
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:03pm
The two comments I hate atm are coming from my Dad.

Who said not to let DD rule my life, when I picked her up cause she was crying. I'm a SAHM what else am I expected to do with my time.

Being told not to spoil her, DD was 8 weeks old and sleeping on me at the time.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by MuppetsMama MuppetsMama wrote:

i had one lady at the supermarket ask me every time I came in from about 6 months onwards, "still havnt had that baby yet huh?" and then proceed to tell me it must be a boy because I was putting weight on in my bum!

ETA: It was a girl...

LOL which is opposite of the olds wives tale! Boy's no bum, girls = bum.

I remember a check out lady when I was in (in hindsight) prelabour say something to me, DH had to quickly stand in front of me before I either decked her or lashed out verbally.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by AandCsmum AandCsmum wrote:

LOL which is opposite of the olds wives tale! Boy's no bum, girls = bum.

oh thats good to know - I needed an excuse!!
(the doc told me my pelvis was really narrow so I had to have a c section which wrecked my last excuse of my bum looks big cause I have wide hips!)
http://lilypie.com]
5th...and final?? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th...and final?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 2:18pm

Edited by 3rdtimelucky

kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 2:33pm

Jeepers, some of this advice is shocking !  A rotating pineapple ... yeah whatever.

When my friend's youngest (and last) child was about a year old, she and her hubby were lying on a bed in a furniture shop trying it out for comfort.  The sales assistant informed her "You'll really appreciate the back support from this bed towards the end of your pregnancy" and she retorted "I'm not pregnant!".

Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:22pm
Not when pregnant but my BIL was shocked to know that my DD (then about 4mo) hadnt taken a bottle. I suggested that bfing straight from the spout (so to speak) was easier/less time consuming for me and how I chose to feed her.
He then in an all-knowing tone said 'well you'd better get her on a bottle soon otherwise shell never take formula and youll never have a life'
Okay boss....
Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 4:22pm
Has to be said too - I crossed my legs when I read that rotating pineapple comment. Yeouch!!
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 5:10pm
Question....how would anyone know what it was like to pass a slowly rotating pineapple hahahahahahaha. And youch, I reckon that would hurt more, at least babies don't have spikes!

Oct 11
NewMummyJade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewMummyJade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 6:48pm
Man this thread just CRACKS me up!

My faves are:

My male boss, obviously had little to do with his newborn son's "Make sure you put her to bed at 5:30pm every night, babies need to get 12-14 hours of solid undisturbed sleep, otherwise she will just be a nightmare the next day"

Coz im sure my newborn is going to be more than aware that its 5:30pm and that means sleep time!

MIL when I asked her how a c-section compared to natural birth (I was hoping for constuctive advice"

Her answer "Pain PAIN pain PAIN pain PAIN pain PAIN pain PAIN pain Pain PAIN"

Yup thanks for that, just what i needed to here!

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:38pm
haha these are great!! That bum comment reminded me of years ago when I had to go to the bank to deposit money each day there was a pregnant woman that did the same and one day the teller told her she was having a girl (I think it was this way around) because a girl steals the mother's looks, whereas a boy makes the mother beautiful. So in effect she told this woman she looked like crap. hehehe

My favourite from when I was pregnant last time, was a friend saying that I needed to make sure I had a brazilian wax before giving birth as she had two student nurse friends present at a birth and they were grossed out by all the hairy women!!!!   Um, no actually I'm not and I'm not having a student either now!!!
MrsMJD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:29pm
Good grief a brazilian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That might be as bad as the rotating pineapple comment.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:17am
The very best peice of advice I ever got was this -
Don't listen to everyone elses advice!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:23am
Hehe I had a brazilian 2 weeks before my elective and I was HUGE! I'm sure the lady doing it was terrified she'd rip a strip off me and a baby would pop out lol. I was so glad I did it though. I didn't want anyone trying to shave me before surgery lol. Plus I was paranoid about itchy regrowth growing in my fresh c/section wound

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
ButterflyMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterflyMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:03pm
Love this I get the wow you going to be busy.   Comment I get it now when. Am with one or 2kids peope are shocked to here I have 4. Our latest has been hope you not having anymore lol their face when I say yeah course actualy we want 2more
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:24pm
From dh's mother. Don't let the (newborn) baby sleep for 5-6 hours during the day or you will be up all night.

Does anyone have a nb who can sleep for that long? I thought I as lucky with the 3-4 hours I've been getting
Marengo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 1:01pm
not a piece of advice but yesterday when i was in the mall toilet a lady with a newborn said 'how much longer to go?' i told her and she said 'oooh sweets that will be THE looongest few weeks of your LIFE."

thanks lady.. appreciated.

then another lady spoke to me while i was washing my hands, 'do you know what your having?' yes a girl i said 'oh... (look of disappointment) are you pleased?' yes we would have been pleased either way i told her

'oh it must be your first then.'

i had forgotten my standard 'a baby' response to the what are you having question.. sigh..

Our angel Ella Louise born 13.04.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 3:31pm
Mum and I were discussing girl names last night and she started a sentence with
"Well, if your last name was window . . ."
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:19pm
Gosh some of this "advice" is shocking!!! I agree with a few others, yeouch on the pineapple!! That was too much, I had to share it with DF and we both cracked up laughing over it!

Ok, advice. I got asked if I was going to be breastfeeding and when I replied with an affirmative I got told "Oh it hurts, believe me. It's absolute agony!!"
Erm, thanks. Lol. I got a 5 minute tirade about how much this woman was in pain every time she breastfed. I would have told her to naff off but she's family

Same person asked us if we had a name picked yet and when I showed her the list of possibilities she went through it saying "Dont like that one, nope not that one"
Jeesh, and I thought -I- was the one having the baby and thus I thought -I- was going to be naming it! With DFs input of course lol.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>