FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest piece of ’well-meaning’ advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best piece of ’well-meaning’ advice.
    Posted: 18 January 2011 at 12:15am
I'm sure I'm not the only one of us being bombarded with lovely advice and tips on pregnancy, childbirth, and all that comes after.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tips from those who have never been pregnant, given birth or raised children.

I thought it would be cool if we all contributed some of the funny/useless tips and advice we've gotten from our well-meaning friends and family.

I'll start with my dad telling me not to worry about giving birth, it'll won't hurt more than and will be similar to doing a big poo.
Sponsored Links

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 12:24am
Bwahahaha, yeap, birth is totally like having a big poo! Sometimes I have babies without even realising it...

When I was visiting a childless friend with my then 6 day old, she cried a little (baby, not friend). My friend told me it probably means she is teething.
The same friend, 3 weeks later, asked if DD was crawling yet...
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 6:48am
Not really advice, but i thought this was an excellent comment.
From an old lady, when I told her I was having an elective c-section (for medical reasons, but I didn't mention this) -
"What, don't you like giving birth?"
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:37am
lol MM, I get surprised looks when I say this baby will be an elective... its fairly common knowledge that both my kids have been c-sections, so why should it be any surprise this one will be too!?

Not really advice either, just a passing comment from a storekeeper who noticed I was preg and had Jae with me 'wow, you're going to have your hands full!'

Really? I thought it'd be a walk in the park!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:49am
Lol... I had so many people ask me this when I was heavily pregnant and baby would move and my whole stomach would move too ... 'can you feel that? When the baby moves I mean??' lol wtf?!
becsscolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becsscolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Babykatnz Babykatnz wrote:

Not really advice either, just a passing comment from a storekeeper who noticed I was preg and had Jae with me 'wow, you're going to have your hands full!'

I am SO SICK of this comment, its kinda obvious really    I get it when I'm with both my boys (1 and 3) and I'm only just becoming obviously pregnant... Any thoughts for smart comebacks? A muttered 'yeah' or 'its all good' is getting boring!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 9:48am
Look suprised and say "Oh, no, this ones for sale! You can get a really good price for them right now!"

My personal favourites came from a woman who starts every sentence with "I've never been pregnant but..." or "I don't have children but..." who saw fit to eat breakfast with me every morning (at work) and say things like
"I've never been pregnant but i know if you put your arms above your head the babies cord will get wrapped around its neck"
"I've never been pregnant but you shouldnt eat marmite, its high in folate and thats not good for a growing baby" (??????!)
"I've never had children but would LOVE to be at your birth. Do you have a midwife? Because i watched a baby being born one other time and i'd just love to do it again."

ETA: my brothers girlfriend asked me last week (At 38weeks) if i could feel the baby moving yet. What, did she they only 'activated' the day before the birth??)

Edited by bowie
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:00am
haha I like Bowie's response, otherwise I would just smile and say "well,parenting is tiring and hard no matter if you have one, two or three "

When I was pregnant with C I made a comment to a friend about how baby had fingernails etc, I was 37 weeks pregnant, she was shocked, "really ?? I thought they were still like an alien "
Scary thing is,at the time, she was training to be a nurse

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:18am
Hehe that's awesome about your dad saying childbirth is just like doing a big poo!

I get told all the time by certain family members that "the next baby won't be as good as Chelsea is". I say "maybe it will sleep though!" (she's almost two and still wakes in the night most nights lol). I've also been told to not make the same "mistakes", ie don't feed this one as much, it'll spoil him. And leave it to cry from birth - cuddles spoil them
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 11:18am
Bowie! My grandma used to say 'Don't put your arms above your head, babies cord with strangle it!' or 'Don't stretch'

'Don't bath or you'll cook the baby'
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 11:56am

Originally posted by becsscolly becsscolly wrote:

Originally posted by Babykatnz Babykatnz wrote:

I am SO SICK of this comment, its kinda obvious really    I get it when I'm with both my boys (1 and 3) and I'm only just becoming obviously pregnant... Any thoughts for smart comebacks? A muttered 'yeah' or 'its all good' is getting boring!

"We are only having this next one for spare parts.....

I have another three older ones at home and they are going to look after the baby when I go back to work....they dont really need to go to school anyway!

Marengo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 12:31pm
i hate people asking 'are you excited?"

nooo i'm filled with dread that i will have my daughter with me soon.. ffs people seriously..

i got told the other week 'make sure you change her nappies, nappy rash is just awful'

i just smiled and nodded to that one.. didnt quite know how to react! did she just tell me i'm so useless i wont change a nappy?

Our angel Ella Louise born 13.04.
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:06pm
It used to annoy me when people would try and convince me it was ok to eat food that you are meant to avoid in pregnancy. ("Oh, in my day it was fine to eat this/ you could probably eat this fish [that's been sitting out in the sun for ages before we cooked it]/ you could drink that glass of wine cos it's Christmas"....Yeah, ok...if you want my baby to have fetal alcohol syndrome or be harmed cos I get listeria....) Got tiresome having to justify my choices, and I wasn't even really fastidious about it!
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:09pm
I had a woman at work who'd never been pregnant tell me that morning sickness is all in the mind (when I was about 12 weeks pregnant and was throwing up at work every day)

I saw on a friend's facebook page someone asking her if her baby was STTN yet...he was 6 days old lol.
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Sally Sally wrote:

It used to annoy me when people would try and convince me it was ok to eat food that you are meant to avoid in pregnancy. ("Oh, in my day it was fine to eat this/ you could probably eat this fish [that's been sitting out in the sun for ages before we cooked it]/ you could drink that glass of wine cos it's Christmas"....Yeah, ok...if you want my baby to have fetal alcohol syndrome or be harmed cos I get listeria....) Got tiresome having to justify my choices, and I wasn't even really fastidious about it!

Same - my Dad was a shocker for this over Christmas and would act like I was being so fussy - I am a hell of a lot more relaxed than I was first time and than a lot of other pregnant people. The opposite also annoyed me - someone at work told me I wasn't allowed to eat a sausage roll (actually "you're not allowed to eat that") and couldn't give me any reason why. ANd my MIL told me over xmas that I'm not allowed to drink coffee!
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:15pm
I went out for dinner with friends one night while pregnant and I ordered tuna for dinner. She then told me my child was probably going to be autistic- WTF
mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Marengo Marengo wrote:

i hate people asking 'are you excited?"

I used to get this aaaallll the time, so I just started saying to people, "No, not really. "

I didn't really get too much unwanted advice. Some of the people posted about in this thread sound nuts!
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:08pm
UGH I hate the whole food thing. I wasn't paranoid, but figured if I knew about it I may as well avoid it as in the unlikely event I did get listeria I would never forgive myself.
Constantly got "You can eat that, you'll be fine, we all used to eat it when we were having babies" etc etc
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by jano1 jano1 wrote:

I went out for dinner with friends one night while pregnant and I ordered tuna for dinner. She then told me my child was probably going to be autistic- WTF

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Marengo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Sally Sally wrote:

i hated this too, you just reminded me of a girl that used to scoff at me when i would refuse her herbal teas.. saying i was overreacting and overcautious.. well i'm sure she would have been cautious too if she had been trying to have a baby for two years and had had miscarriages!!

Our angel Ella Louise born 13.04.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>