FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVegetarian Recipes even meat eaters enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarian Recipes even meat eaters enjoy
    Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:35am
I am trying to cut down on the amount of meat our household (read DF) consumes by incorporating 1 or more vegetarian meals a week. It has taken a looooong time just to get DF to consider a vege meal a week and now I want to keep some momentum by making delicious vege meals!

Last nights dinner was a hit!

Red Lentil Curry

Ingredients
2 cups red lentils
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
Directions
1.Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is very important or the lentils will get "scummy"), put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary).
2.While the lentils are cooking: In a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in vegetable oil.
3.While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
4.Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.
5.When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Recipe from allrecipes.com

This was easya nd very cheap to make! I served it with basmati rice and roti - which I learnt to make on you tube!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:51am
You can make almost any recipe vego.

Pizza is really easy

Hokkien noodle stir fry is a fav in our house even with Daniel he loves it.

To feed 3 of us we need 2 packs of hokkien noodles which you just sit in boiling water for 5 minutes.
Stir fry whatever vege you want. If you want it to be more filling add a vege mix like the watties high fibre one which is full of carrots and edamane beans. Mix in with the vege 4 tablespoons of kecap manis (sweet thick soy sauce) and 2-3 of lime juice which becomes your sauce and flavouring and then mix the cooked noodles in. All up it only takes about 15mins. It was actually a lamb recipe I found which I just took the lamb out of it. If you want the flavours to be stronger or weaker you just change the amount of kecap/lime. Yum yum!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 5:25pm
lasagne - you can use beans instead of meat or i saw a nice one the other day on the bigges loser that had eggplant and capsicum...

i find its best to serve up the vege meal and not mention it has no meat in it...

kebakat is right most meat meals can be made vege.

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 8:06pm
The red lentil curry is a staple of ours every winter. To make it even better, I add a can of chickpeas YUM

Have you thought about doing a veggie canneloni dish? I make a version of this all the time and DH loves it. :) You could also easily do a roast veggie variety too. Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni

Post Reply Post Reply