FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVBAC ’rules’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VBAC ’rules’
    Posted: 01 February 2011 at 7:53pm
'Rules' may not be the right word but you get what I mean (I hope lol)

I went for my OB appointment at the hospital to discuss my last labour and options for this one. I have been told that after reading over my notes they are happy to let me attempt a VBAC. The OB said there are 3 things that I have to do though which are:
*go to hospital as soon as labour starts or as early as possible (I was wanting to labour at home for as long as poss)
*get a luire(sp?) as soon as we arrive at the hospital (i'm fine with this)
and be constantly monitored wither by the one on my belly or the scalp monitor on bubs. (I was wanting to be able to move around and not be confined to the bed).

Now obviously I will do what has to be done for the safety and health of baby and me but 2 of the big things I wanted to be able to do, I have been told I cant. What is everyone's experiances with this are they leinent or do I just have to get use to the idea of having to do it this way?

He also told me he recommends that I get a epidural cathader as soon as we get there aswell (doesn't have to have epi in it but just the cathader inserted incase it's needed in a hurry) I can see how this makes sense but dont know if it will add to the discomfort of not being able to be active or can ya not feel it when it's in there?
I did all of ds's labour with gas (until on op table when they gave me a spinal) and was wanting to try for that again but sounds like i'm going to have to have quite a bit of intervention/monitoring.

At the end of the day my main priority is the baby and what needs to be done at the time I will do but I was hoping to have a bit more 'freedom' I guess. So any thoughts/experiances would be appreciated as my head is spinning a bit at the mo!

Sponsored Links

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:21pm
Oh stink, those aren't the best rules. I'm the same as you and want to try and stay at home longer this time and not shorter! Plus want to be active and I imagine being hooked up means confined to the bed? Can you move much with the belly monitoring rather than scalp monitor?

The epidural thing I had was just in my wrist and didn't bother me at all. So don't worry too much about that one.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:31pm
Ok well for a start you don't have to do or not do anything, your body, your baby, your choice. They can suggest, they can give you their ideal of how they would like you to labour but you can say no to it all, you have that right.

I was told pretty much the same three things you were and I told my mw that they could take a running jump. She agreed that it's OTT and advised I stay home as long as possible and I refused to be monitored constantly cos I didn't see the need, I also said no to the epidural, although the OB I saw seemed to think I should just get one the second I turned up, and I wouldn't mind constant monitoring cos you can't move with an epi anyway.
I wanted to go in the water and my mw said that if that was what I wanted then the OB's would just have to deal with me climbing out to check me. I also said no to the IV line being put in ready cos it takes them seconds to do so I don't see the point of getting it put in early when it may never be needed.

So I stayed home for the first 5 hours of my labour, didn't get an epi until I had been in labour for 9 hours, they put the IV in when I had the epi. During the time I was at the hospital I was monitored when I first turned up, which i was happy to do, then I was up walking around, went in the shower, decided I didn't want to go in the birth pool, but mw just monitored me by asking about baby movements and occassionally using a doppler to check his heartbeat. I tried gas for a while and then got the epi, from then on I was monitored constantly.
I saw an OB three times during my whole labour, once when I first turned up and she signed something to say I could have an epi if i wanted, then I met the new one at shift change over, and then saw that lady again when mw called her into to check me out (was having some pains near scar) and we did vontouse then as well as had been pushing for just over 2 hours and was very tired and his shoulder was causing me immense pain.

So the experience I had wasn't anything like they had said, however a lady came in at 27 weeks with triplets and my mw said that everyone was far too busy with that and left me alone far more than they usually would. She had said when I turned up I was suppose to be their "high risk" case of the night cos of being a VBAC. So I guess for me I was lucky to get left alone as things may have been different if the OB's hadn't of been so busy and had been in with me more.

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 9:07pm
These are all unnecessary in my opinion. I did a LOT of research into it, and all the research indicates that intervention leads to more intervention.

*go to hospital as soon as labour starts or as   early as possible (I was wanting to labour at home for as long as poss)

A womens body labours more efficiently and effectively when the women is in comfortable, familiar surroundings (ie, home). By going to hospital early it increases the chance of having a drawn out labour. You will then quite possibly be told that a VBAC labour shouldn't be going on as long as it is, and a c-section is necessary.

If you are fine with this, then go ahead. But I wouldn't!

*and be constantly monitored wither by the one on my belly or the scalp monitor on bubs. (I was wanting to be able to move around and not be confined to the bed).

This is totally unnecessary, and setting you up for an unpleasant labour.   Continual fetal monitoring has not been shown to improve maternal or fetal outcomes, rather it only serves to increase the cesarean rates. If your midwife just checks the heartbeat regularly, this is all that should be needed.

YOu don't have to have any of these things. There is so much research out there to show that these practices are totally unnecessary.   Do your own research, and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and what you want.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 10:00pm
Oh, they are definitely "rules"! But I think they are OTT too.

*go to hospital as soon as labour starts or as early as possible (I was wanting to labour at home for as long as poss)

I was advised to go to hospital asap with my VBAC baby so there could be thorough monitoring. As it turned out, baby was facing the wrong way so my early labour went on for about a day. My LMC met us at the hospital, did a CTG, and sent us out for a long walk. I had another CTG and went home until the middle of that night, when I was ready to be at the hospital. My labour didn't properly establish until a few hours later when I had artificial rupture.

My advice is to do all the early labour stuff at home. Keep your LMC advised, she can even visit you at home and do the doppler on the baby if she wants to check how you're doing. It probably won't be counted as labour until you're at the stage of wanting to be at the hospital anyway.

This is the IV line, I assume? I've had this for all my post-c/s births. I think I'll actually decline next time because I find it a small nuisance. But it's not a big deal. It is kinda helpful for them because they can take blood samples and put in antibiotics (if needed) and everything else. And if they put it in a good place, like the back of your hand, it won't get in your way. They will keep it in until your have urinated without probs post-birth.

*and be constantly monitored wither by the one on my belly or the scalp monitor on bubs. (I was wanting to be able to move around and not be confined to the bed).

Constant monitoring seems to be interpreted differently by different mw's. With my VBAC I wanted an epidural (don't do it!!!) and that requires the constant CTG monitoring as well, so I consented. They didn't suggest the scalp monitor and it would have been totally unnecessary. With the next birth, my mw had me strapped to the machine but standing up next to the bed (I wanted to be in standing position). Birth #4 I don't remember having the CTG at all - maybe at the start. The mw put the doppler on the baby's heartbeat at regular intervals while I laboured. I was off the bed for that one too. Birth #5 I had hospital mw's and they were very keen to keep the CTG on both my contractions and the baby. Just before I went into "established labour" (so I was already having contractions but okay ones) I went for a toilet stop and only got the baby CTG on after that. I wouldn't have let them put the top strap (contractions one) back on unless there was a concern, coz it is particularly uncomfy in labour!

I was happy to labour on the bed with baby #5 but the mw's told me that if I wanted to go in the shower that was okay, because they had a mobile thing they could run around after me with, something like the CTG but I don't know what it was called.

I would NOT have the scalp monitor unless absolutely necessary. If your labour is ticking along nicely, doppler can pick up heart beat and there's no sign of baby distress, there's no reason to have it. All it will do is get in the way of your legs and you'll be distracted, thinking that you'll hurt the baby. Talk to your mw about doppler or CTG monitoring of baby only.

Hope that wasn't too waffly. I've had a few post-c/s births LOL!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 9:43am
Re: the leur, They can only take a blood sample via that when it is first inserted, after that they have to go elsewhere... had multiple blood tests in the days after having Jae and I kept asking them to just use the leur, til they explained why they couldnt... I was quite miffed cos I was over being a pincushion lol! BUT, it is definitely a handy thing to have (if they put it in right! Ask them to put it in the back of your non-dominant hand if possible!) in case you need any drugs, be they pain relief, anti-emetics or a saline drip for hydration etc, they are much more effective if they go direct to your bloodstream, than if taken orally.

When humming and hah'ing over VBAC or not with Jae, my midwife said I DIDNT have to be monitored the whole time, it would be for app 5 mins every 1/2 an hour (just as a rough guide, they wouldnt be watching the clock the whole time), and inbetween I could labour how I liked, including in the bath (just couldnt give birth in there, but thats against hospital policy for anyone anyways) and that while I could have the epi line set up without an actual epi given (JIC a call for c-section was made mid-labour) I didnt HAVE to have it in, was more as a precautionary measure than anything else.

Scalp monitor is unneccessary (and would be more of a nuisance than anything else, unless you've had an epi, in which case you wouldnt notice it) and can only be applied once waters have broken.

In the end none of it mattered as I ended up opting for the elective with the OBs full support (and he wasnt one to hand out electives lightly either apparently)

And as for getting to hospital as soon as labour starts... the earlier you get there, the higher your risk of intervention, if you really want to VBAC, theres no way of them knowing how long you laboured at home for before deciding to go in, and if your midwife is completely supportive of VBAC, she'll be fine with that.

Best of luck with your decision!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 12:09pm

You've definitely given me some good questions to ask the OB when I next see her in a few weeks. If I had to have constant monitoring stuck to the bed with an epidural I would probably choose an elective instead.

I had all of those 'rules' mentioned above pushed onto me with DD's birth and know they didn't help at all. I could feel things going downhill when they went bad so would have consented then, but not before if I thought I had a choice

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 8:36pm
Wow thanks guys! your replies/experiances are great! Definatley gives me some food for thought.
I have a MW appointment on Tues so will have a chat with her and see what she thinks and will let her know what I was hoping to do and go from there.

And Busymum....next time?? is that number 6 we can expect some time in the future? You're a legend!

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:50am
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

I chose to have my vba2cs at home so I could avoid all that intervention.... It is for the most part un-necessary. You can be monitored while you move around (have had that twice now!) and the longer you can hold off before going to hospital the more likely you are to avoid a cascade of intervention that you don't want
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 9:01pm
NSH are pretty staunch with their protocols... I didnt even notice that I spent the whole time on the monitor LOL I wanted to kneel on the bed over the back so it the monitor didnt bother me...

I wanted the lure in when I arrived because my veins are sh*te and if they needed to put one in a hurry I wanted to avoid repeating last time (I was asked by a mw in maternity if I had been in accident I was so bruised... still not sure if she was joking).

As for when you get to hospital... a) they are not at home with you so how will they know? b) you will likely find you wont be at home long anyway... 2nd time around things are "normally" faster. I planned to be as long as possible but as it turned out that was 3 only 3 hours LOL I also met protocol by arriving at hospital at 5cm without even trying LOL

Its YOUR body! YOUR baby! YOUR choice!

Make sure you do the research and decide what you are happy with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:06am
Oh and I didnt have an epi catheter in....

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 1:33pm
LOL Noodle - very big if!!
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:23pm
Interesting thread. I'm off to see 2 MW's this week and both of them outlined what they 'normally' do for a VBAC but they both talked in terms of 'what we like' but seemed very open to me making my own decisions about things. They told me to labour at home for as long as I could, when I'd go into hospital they'd probably put a lure in (absolutely no mention of epi catheter), they'd do lots of monitoring but I could still be in a pool or whatever position I wanted provided bubs seemed happy. One even said that whilst she wouldn't recommend it if I really wanted a home birth she'd try to make it happen. I wonder if that is the difference between a MW VBAC and an Ob VBAC?
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 12:34pm
I would get the lure in. It is hardly all that much of an intervention, but as someone who had a sudden, unexpected haemorraghe with great veins, it took five whole minutes to get a line in and then another five to get one in the other hand. Staff then had to squeeze fluids in on both sides.

I'm all for minimising intervention. But a VBAC is not exactly the same as a vaginal birth, due to the massive 'intervention' you experienced when you previously had a CS. My next time will be a VBAC, and I will have a line, and will negotiate monitoring. But there is a risk, increased from the standard risks involved in a vaginal birth, and you can minimise the worst effects of that potential risk by taking sensible precautions.

I agree that constant monitoring results in increased intervention for not that much difference of a benefit. But occassional CTG can, with other observations, give a picture of your birth. Your midwife can also listen to the baby's heartbeat, but as someone who has reviewed births that have gone wrong, I know of too many occasions when the heartbeat heard was the Mums (rapid due to internal blood loss) or there was a heartbeat - but the baby was asphyxiating (baby can sometimes have an OK heartbeat but there is no oxygen in that blood).
And even if you have every midwife and obstetrician in the room things can still go wrong. Why monitoring? To give everyone more time to respond if something is going wrong. Why a leur? To replace your volume quickly.

Why go to the hospital early? Because if the baby or your body isn't responding well to early contractions then they have more time to sort out your options. Because if a CS needs to happen, it is better that there is time to arrange it rather than needing an emergency CS. I agree that staying home can be more relaxing - but I think this can also be a mindset thing. Having worked at a hospital though I don't find it all that scary.

I guess my main point is that a VBAC is a bit different from a standard vaginal birth, and the precautions that they are suggesting reflect that additional risk. You can of course negotiate it, or decline some or all of it. But the information and suggestions that they are giving you will be based on their training, guidelines from professional colleges and hopefully a well written evidenced based policy.
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 1:40pm
gosh you guys are lucky.. they wouldnt put mine in for hours cause 'you are only in the beginning even though i have a history of going fast' so got almost no pain relief..in fact the whole thing was awful:( though got a healthy baby in the end so that's all that matters!! I do sortof wish I'd tried for a VBAC..but they never said I had to follow any of those rules though...
Mum to two amazing boys!
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 4:55pm
When I was going to try for a VBAC my midwife said to me to stay at home until I was having regular contractions, so 3 in 10 mins lasting 40-60 seconds, and to ring if I had any bleeding or my waters broke.

I think having a lure in is pretty standard and it didnt bother me, though it is a pain as it gets in the way, but if anything happened they dont have to dick around trying to put one in, its already there.
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 9:20am
So... the 'rules' you've been told will be hospital protocol, which the hospital use as guidelines to abide by.

Cuppatea is absolutely right - nobody will stop you doing what you want, even walking right out of the hospital.

My experience: I'm studying childbirth education and have been privileged with a more than helpful midwife, and a huge range of info. I fought tooth & nail to get my VBAC and the MW was right there with me.

CCDHB say go to hospital when your contractions are 10 mins apart (bu gger that!), get a lure, be monitored. I chose to be monitored with the wireless monitors, delayed the lure until the last possible moment (at which point the registrar was getting well shirty with my MW hehe!!) and I went into hospital when I was actually scheduled to go in for an 'elective' caesarean.

With daylight my contractions slowed down (as they do, natural response) and my labour progressed to 4cm dilation. It was a total Godsend that I was monitored as the heartrate was totally unreassuring during contractions, then it had some massive dips and long story cut short, if I'd continued to try labour then I could've been delivering a dead baby due to a complication with the umbilical cord insertion that hadn't been picked up in scans.

So I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I'd recommend even having intermittent monitoring just to check the baby's doing fine particularly during contractions, but the hospitals err WELL on the side of caution which is partly why the c/s rate is so incredibly high in NZ.

Anyway that's my experience FWIW - many friends have had VBACs with no complications whatsoever and chosen to have no monitoring: every woman, pregnancy, birth and baby are different so just follow your gut. Womens' intuition is totally underrated, esp by hospital folk!
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
samsbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2011 at 11:22am
Hi Ladies, Have any of you had a doula? I am thinking I might need one after the last birth. I see Joyful Childbirth offer this service, but there is no way we could afford their rates. Do you know of any student doula's who might need someone as part of their observations? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:42pm
i had one, antenatal teachers are your bestcbet :)

mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 8:43am
Where are you based samsbabe? I'm doing Childbirth Education studies and we need to do 3 birth supports as part of training - if you're not local to me I can probably get you in touch with someone who is??
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>