FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExcess Tomatoes and Cucumbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excess Tomatoes and Cucumbers
    Posted: 10 February 2011 at 6:11pm
This year i have an over supply of tomatoes and will soon be inundated with cucumbers. any recipe suggestions to use them up?
Sponsored Links

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 7:20pm
Making homemade pasta sauce and freezing it.

No idea about cucumbers though
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 7:53pm
yeah its mainly the cucumbers that are really stumping me i found a cucumber pickle recipe but comparing that with the number of small cucumbers currently forming i think we would have pickle for the next decade!

hmm might look for a pasta sauce recipe last year i made tomato relish and tomato basil soup the relish was a hit the soup not so much since im the only one that eats soup
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 8:16pm
Or just give the cucumbers away to friends who might - hopefully - repay with pumpkins, say, in winter?
BriAndOlisMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriAndOlisMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 8:37pm
tomato relish
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 9:17am
yeah swap the cucumbers... we had a bbq the other day and i did cucumber and tomatoe and onion in vinegar just like what we used to have when young. it certainly brought back memories!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 9:19am
you could preserve some of the smaller ones for later use...

preserving for later link

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:29pm

You could make sun dried tomatoes.  You just cut them in half and put them in the oven supposedly at about 120 degrees or so and let them dry out.  Takes several hours - I have some cherry tomatoes in the oven at the moment to see if it works.  It sounds like you can then store them in olive oil or just in a zip lock bag in the freezer.  Apparently you know they are ready when they feel a bit like fresh raisins and not tacky.

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 11:32pm
Cut up the cucumbers in slices and pickle them like gherkins, so you have sweet/sour slices - YUM!

My cucumbers have been hopeless this year, so very jealous
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 5:13pm
I also have heaps of tomatoes, and I'm the only one on the house who eats them!! At the moment I'm making tomato sauce and whatever is left I'll freeze to use in winter in the slow cooker.

No idea about cucumbers sorry!

Edited by mummydee
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:07pm
you can freeze tomatoes? do you do anything special to them first like dry them out happymumma's way or just biff them in a bag and into the freezer? Im about to make relish then maybe some tomato basil soup with the next batch using a different recipe this time.

Im getting a cucumber pickle recipe of my nana who unfortunately has also had a good cucumber season and has been supplying us all with hers so i havent been able to give mine away yet but hopefully hers are almost finished now mine is just gearing up .

Thanks for the link Bizzy i found a couple of idea's on there
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 10:04am
From what I've read on a couple of blogs, people suggest just putting them into a ziplock bag and freezing. I'm going to chop them first (as some of them are pretty big!) then freeze as I'd like to use them instead of tins of tomatoes.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 9:59am
yes you can freeze them as is just pop them into a freezer bag and put in freezer.
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 5:37pm

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/features/loving-food/preserving-tomatoes.html

I just found this.  If more of my tomatoes ripen over the next few days I thought I might try the slow cooked sauce.  I've also been googling recipes for tomato chutney.  I'm quite keen to try making one - Jamie Oliver has one that looks pretty basic so I thought I might try it.

Post Reply Post Reply