FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChanging Midwives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Midwives
    Posted: 14 February 2011 at 2:04pm
Ive meet my midwife twice now. Im just not feeling 100% comfortable ive made the right decision picking her.

She does seem nice enough but she is no where near as lovely as my last midwife who i cant get this time

I have an appointment again this week so thought id see how it goes before making any decisions.

The reason im feeling a bit uneasy is because it seems like im a hassle and she'd rather be somewhere else. Also when she asked how i was feeling i told her which she wrote the complete opposite in my book so obvious she wasnt even paying attention

Do you think i sound reasonable in possibly wanting another midwife? Also could i even find one this late in pregnancy
Sponsored Links

kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 2:06pm
Yes...change now. Start ringing around and see if anyone else is available.

Imagine how much worse you will feel if you get to the delivery and she still wont listen to you.

And it is early enough still for you to get comfortable with another midwife.
Due 14/10/11
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 2:08pm
I changed at over 20 weeks with DD1, so it is possible but might involve a lot of ringing around. Go with your gut, I believe it's really important to be 100% comfortable with your LMC!
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 3:26pm
Ring my MW! She's lovely she was also the MW for friends of ours who just had their baby 5wks ago and said she was awesome at the birth. I wonder if you say you know me if she'll find room for you (she works at the same place your last MW did but I think you know that already)
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 3:50pm
I can't remember who you got in the end but I definitely recommend getting a new one if you aren't happy; whether at the same place as your last midwife or elsewhere. I guess the first step would be doing some ringing round and take it from there.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 4:00pm
My old MW was through birthworks also Rachel. She tried referring me onto another midwife but they were already booked for July because there are a few that will be away Thats why i was a bit upset because i liked it there

I guess i will ring around. Only problem is i dont know any other midwives really.

So is two short appointments enough to change my mind? I have an appointment this week so ill ring around after that if im not happy.

Thing is though my current MW has been recommended by so many people But i know i dont like the back up from when i was pregnant with dd so perhaps it is best to just change.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 5:54pm
Def start ringing around now, meet with anyone who is free and see which you like best, as others have said you need someone who is on the same page as you when it comes time to push that baby out!

+1 May 09 Angel
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:20pm
If you're not comfortable, change.
A friend of mine dumped her MW and ended up with the hospital team - in the end she was still happier than the MW she started with.
Puddleduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puddleduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:03pm
Start ringing around now - I changed my midwife after the 24 week visit, but in reality I knew from the visit before that I was not comfortable with her. In the end we went with an OB but this was a personal choice, I also found a midwife who would have taken me on. I am so glad we changed, as soon as we finished our first visit with the new LMC I could feel myself relaxing.
Good luck!

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 5:27pm
Im so mad. I had my appointment today. Midwife didnt show up, didnt text or ring like she has other times.

Ive already rung my 1st choice place but havent heard back.

Can anyone tell me i have my scan booked for friday and need a referral. If i havent heard back from any other midwife is there any way around getting one? Can i go to the doctors etc??
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:27pm
Yes, the Dr can do it. Probably wouldn't want to, but can.
I had stuff (long story) going on at 12wks and asked my gp to write my NT scan referal.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 7:27am
Thanks Isaacs Mum.

I havent had luck finding a new MW so ill be going through hosp midwives i guess.

Will need to go to the doctors about my scan because its booked for Friday
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 9:20am
good luck SMS I wish I had changed midwives but I didn't listen to my gut and of course now it's too late!! I just wanted to say you know whether you click and if you are having doubts you obviously don't, good luck with your scan and the rest of your pregnancy!!

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 2:10pm
Good luck with finding a new MW. If you haven't warmed to her yet, I'd look elsewhere. Not sure where you live but check out the following thread I started for MW recommendations. The last page has the most up to date list.

MW's

Guest_41133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_41133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 9:12am
As others have written YES change your midwife! I changed at 32 weeks against the advise of loads of people and i'm so pleased I did. I felt more comfortable with my new midwife after two meetings than i ever did with my first. It so important to have somone there that you like and respect and if you're having doubts now they're unlikely to go. She should be making you feel like you're the most special person around! Good luck x
Lillybetts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillybetts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 1:57pm
Change now!!!! I wish i changed MW. But felt it was too late. She ended up not making totally good decisions during birth, and i felt exactly the same as you. That she wasn't listening. I'll be basically trialling MW's next time, cause she put me off. If you're not feeling good about this one, i would honestly recommend changing. I regret not dong it.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 2:27pm
I have changed. Thanks all for your help
 Post Reply Post Reply