FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInteresting study

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting study
    Posted: 20 February 2011 at 5:59pm
"breast is not always best for mums"

People might be interested in this...was in the sunday star times.
Sponsored Links

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 9:12am
I saw that, also the section in the sunday mag about being too posh to push (its a myth!)

Def agree, breastfeeding is so hard for me, im still struggling, the m/ws in hospital were great and i stayed 4 days in hospital trying to learn to latch him and deal with my massive oversupply. The hospital sent their laction consultant for every feed night and day for the next two days to help. Which i appreciated a lot but hell thats a lot of attention which might feel like pressure to someone else. At one point in hospital i had three m/ws in the room with me trying to help all suggestion various shields holds techniques and all getting their hands in their to help. That wasnt a highlight..

I've been tempted to EBM feed but because no one tells about bottles and whatnot i have no idea how or what i'd need so i persevered and its getting better so i'm pleased i didnt give in but man...people said breastfeeding is tricky but i did not expect to be crying on my baby at 3am when he's hungry and i'm spraying milk for metres but he just won't open his mouth!

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 5:16pm
Bowie I had a similar experience in hospital, 2 midwives trying to jam my nipple in DDs mouth (little poo went on a nursing strike on day 2!) and as helpful as I'm sure they THOUGHT they were being, how does that prepare me for being able to do it myself when i got home? Unfortunately i had the opposite prob to you, not enough milk, ever!

Your mw should be able to help you with bottles since its for using with EBM, rather than formula (some mw's are anti-formula, while others get told they arent allowed to promote unless its necessary)

I really wanted to BF, and did everything I could afford to do at the time to 'make' it work, but in the end (with Plunket and GP threatening CYFS action otherwise) I had to admit defeat and switch to formula. I find it odd that so many people say they felt 'forced to BF' or got looked down on for using formula, when i had the complete opposite, I felt forced to use formula, when all I needed was someone to come and HELP me learn how to BF... maybe the govt should stop ramming 'breast is best' policies down our throats via all possible media outlets, and instead use that funding to provide physical help to those who are struggling? As I said on a link someone posted on FB, where I'm living, the only way I can get funded help from an LC is to either be Maori/P.I (I'm as white as they come, so I'm sh!t out of luck there!) or move 5 mins north into the Auckland DHB area... Seriously?! I would think that as a new mother (again) I should be just as entitled to free help to BF since apparently thats 'best for baby' but nope, I either wait until Friday when a 3 hour afternoon clinic is available (by the time I get there and get seen by anyone I then have to turn around and come home in time to pick up B from school) which I wont be able to do until 6 weeks post c-section, or pay someone to come and see me at home which i cant afford!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 5:41pm
Wow, auckland has a bit of a crappy set up! Both hospital LC came to visit me at home and in my room.

I too felt like they should show me rather then just jam a nipple in there, my first night home i actually had to change the baby as i cried so much he was wet! I buzzed a midwife before even starting to feed in hospital so was unprepared for being alone at 2am.

My m/w is happy to help with bottles but the LC was horrified i even brought it up.

I find it suprising too that they didnt help you with b/feeding, did you feel they were fobbing you off on formula as its 'easier' then them helping you increase milk supply?

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 10:15pm
The LC I 'hired' for a session last time made a couple of suggestions which I took to my GP and Plunket, and I think they gave me a week to see an improvement in weight gain, I then got another LC to come out (again, paid for!) to check I was doing it right (which I was, but only with the help of nipple shields) so clearly supply was the issue at the end of the day... the following day I was told in no uncertain terms that she was to go on formula since I couldnt get my supply up fast enough. I tried expressing what i could but after a month I was pumping all day only to get enough for one bottle all up (may have been the pump wasnt strong enough, or my supply was just that low...) so gave up and went to fully formula fed by the time she was 4 months old.

This time around I am going to refuse to leave until I have managed to get this baby latched on and feeding (even if it means nipple shields again) to try and get a good start... luckily having a c-section means I'll have a good 4-5 days at least to work on it!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 9:03pm
"The just-released PhD calls for hospitals and antenatal classes to offer more information on bottle-feeding, and more understanding and flexibility for women unable to breastfeed. "

Absolutely I put a huge ammount of pressure on myself to BF (no doubt from posters etc I had read) I don't think it is healthy.   Money would be better spent on giving people like you support babykatz good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply