FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula
    Posted: 24 February 2011 at 6:03pm
My DS has reflux and was on S26AR. However he always seemed hungry when on this, and needed to feed him well before he was meant too. He also had quite hard greeny poo. (even with giving a bit of water)
We changed to Karicare AR on advice from the Family center and that was great for 2 days then his poos got reeeeal soft and he was doing 3 to 4 poos a day. he is also really gassy and crys/farts most of the day.
He is on 5mg of losec granules.
Took him to the dr yesterday and told her about this... He also did a poo there (i had given him some s26) and it was hard with a bitta blood on it. She just shrugged it off and said it was just cause hes constipated and she couldnt help me with any advice..
I asked about maybe an allergy? and she couldnt even help me out then....
anyone have any advice? is it worth trying a lactose/soy/goats formula??
We are back at the Family cntr Monday but will prob ring up tomorrow. He crys during his feeds and still doesnt sleep well... I just get told its due to the reflux but could it be more?

TIA

Sponsored Links

KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 7:10pm
Zac started on 5mg of Losec and has worked his way up to his current dose of 20mg plus gaviscon in his bottles. He has been really good for about a week although today is back to arching his back during feeding and crying but I think he might be brewing a cold so hoping that is the reason. It may be worth trying a different formula, apparently reflux bubs are way more likely to have a cows milk intolorance. We tried goats milk but didn't make any difference and at double the price, went back to the normal. And if you google soy, it is meant to be really bad for boy babies so wouldn't recommend that. Other than that, I can't help, sorry! Good luck, it's such a tough time
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 9:59pm
Milo, have you tried coloxyl drops? I put them in Noah's feeds 3 times a day and they keep him regular. You get them from the chemist. Was having trouble with hard, greenish poos when he first went on to formula but with coloxyl it's manageable. Also as I mentioned, Novalac constipation formula is really good, it's made to be easily digested and Noah has been heaps better on it than Karicare or S26.

What you could also try is the Karicare hypoallergenic formula, to see if that made a difference, you can get it in the supermarket but it's a bit more expensive. It's maybe worth trying the lactose free formula or goats milk, but my plunket nurse said you have to be careful changing them too much.

Apparently it's really common for formula fed babies to get constipated and gassy, but hopefully it'll settle down. Things did with Noah after changing to the Novalac, can't say enough good things about it hehe.

If you want to stick with thickened formula, I believe putting gavsicon in it does the same thing. But you could find the thickened (AR) formula is what is causing the constipation... so maybe try not using a thickened one as well? Unless the spilling is too bad. If he doesn't spill you don't really need a thickened formula I dont think.

Also, sounds like your losec dose needs to be upped too if he's fussy on his feeds and not sleeping well still. Maybe ask the doctor about that? Noah is on 10mg twice a day and he still has reflux problems so you've definitely got room to move.

Hope that helps
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Greenery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 10:39pm
ive been to the Drs 3 times since he got losec asking about the dosage... and each dr (its a drop in kida med centre so no apppnts) has said no hes on the correct dosage. Ive told them ive seen people who give 10-20mg and do the whole morning night thing but they still say no hes on the max dosage... Seriously considering changing doctors! lol
Im gunna persist with the Karicare AR for another week but then i am going to the family cntr monday so hopefully they can help. Ive seen theres an HA AR formula as well. But if not i might try novalac.
So hard to know if its working when they react so oddly after a few days lol. I guess i just feel sorry for him feeling so uncomfortable and its very tiring on me too haha

KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 9:04pm
Liams doc is the same about the doasge, that he is only allowed 5mg once a day until he is 10kgs then can give him 10mg once a day. I have currently changed him to Karicare AR formula as he always seemed hungry and would scream for a bottle, seems to be working and now can get to 3 1/2hours without a feed and drinking nearly three times what he used to. But at the moment we seem to be having alot of grizzling again and more fussing over his bottle and heaps of spilling and struggle to get wind up. Just seems to be never ending and ready to rip hair out.

You are doing the best you can, hang in there, it will get better eventually
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 1:17pm
How long has he been on Losec for? It will take a week to work properly but then will still take a few weeks for everything to heal. He may seem really hungry but it could be that the milk is what is soothing for him which is why he's screaming for it.

I think some Drs are feeding people crap! Cooper was on losec 10mg a day when he was 7kg. Original prescribing dr said he could have 20mg over a day, others said 10 mg was max dose.

Are you making sure you give the losec not at the same time as the milk? Milk can neutralise losec.

Have you looked at the crying over split milk website?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 2:06pm
Yeah, Zac is around 7kg and is on 20mg/day. My gp said that is the max dose for his weight and can go up to 30mg when he hits 10kg!
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 5:34pm
Yeah same, Noah is on 20 mg a day and the paediatrician didn't say he couldn't have that for his weight (he's about 6.8 kg). I think different doctors have different opinions and no one seems to know enough about it at all :(
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
MinaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:21pm
It could be an allergy, have you run the plunket line. I found them really good when Callen has similar symptoms, the doc thought he had silent reflux and tried all the medicines but the only thing that worked was the Neocates allery formula.
 Post Reply Post Reply