FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStrawberry plants - end of season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawberry plants - end of season
    Posted: 27 February 2011 at 12:02pm

My strawberry plants have pretty much finished producing for the summer I think so I want to do whatever it is that I need to do in order to start caring for them so they are still alive and healthy next summer.  They have lots of runners and I'm going to need to transplant at least some of the plants to make room for them all.

So...what do I do?  I'm not quite sure where to start!!

Sponsored Links

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 4:27pm
This was my first year of strawberries as well.

What I did was get small pots with dirt in them. Wet it. Then take the runners and use a small rock to sort of pin it to the pot. You will see it starts forming more leaves etc. Wait a week or two. Even three if you want and cut the runner off. You now have a seperate strawberry plant. I have already doubled my strawberries for next season and they are still giving runners.

I do still give it lots of worm tea however. I did read somewhere to only let a parent plant give 5 runners in total. Otherwise it can tire the parent plant out.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 7:36pm
Do as SMoody says for getting the runners into new plants, use nice fine soil, nothing too chunky. Remove the dead leaves off your original plants then leave them to winter over. About october (i think) you can seperate your plants- ie one plant usually grows 3 crowns, so you get 3 plants IYKWIM? Dont do it before winter as it can stress the plant out and it might not survive. Good luck

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 9:44pm

I just leave mine as they are in the garden as they grew and let as many runners as they produce grow in the patch.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 9:20pm

I didn't really have the space to let mine do their own thing so have left runners attached and popped them strategically either into good spots in the existing space or in to little pots so that I can transplant them when they're ready.  I think I've more than doubled my plants and I suspect they might still produce more runners so that's brilliant!  I've tidied up the plants too so fingers crossed I've done things correctly.

Aethalia I didn't realise the plants themselves would separate like that but now I look more closely I see what you mean.  Some of them seem huge at the base now.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 9:36pm
yeah you can dig them up in the spring and seperate them and viola you have lots more plants!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 12:03pm

Woohoo!  I had six plants this summer and was thinking I'd need to buy more but it looks like I'm going to have plenty for next summer!  Yay!!

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 10:22pm
What do you do with them after you have them in pots, eventually we are going to pull out the old plants and plant the new runners, but what do I do with them in the meantime? do I leave them out side or do they need to be somewhere warm for the winter?
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 12:43pm
I would put them alongside your house. When they are in pots they are more likely to be affected by the cold as they are up in the air. I would put them alongside your house on the warm side, of just leave them in the garden in a sheltered spot. They are pretty hardy.

The plants are only good for about 3 years after that they dont fruit as much. Best thing is to have a rotation system where you plant year one in one row, then year two etc.... and pull out th eolder ones.

Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 10:18am
Bumping up.....some great advice for Strawberry plants :)

Glach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 7:06pm
I love strawberries.
 Post Reply Post Reply