FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen is ’too late’ to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When is ’too late’ to start?
    Posted: 28 February 2011 at 9:52am
Hi!

We did cloth from when DD was about 6 weeks old until she was about 4-5 months (just during the day) as we only had about 6 nappies.

I've been using sposies since but DP and I are both studying this year so am thinking of getting some more cloth to cut the costs of buying disposables, though I am sure it'll work out the same in the end... We probably spend about $20-$30 a month on sposies.

Anyway... DD is 12 months, when is too late to start?
I don't know when she'll be potty trained though my granddad and mum were potty trained by 9 months and keep asking when I'm going to start but for me - not for another year maybe?!

So would it be too late to start?
I've tried a few nappies; pea pods, itti's, baby land and another couple of brands and haven't had any leaks with them.

Also not sure how many I would need... I would probably continue with sposies overnight though?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:43am
I would think that starting now would be fine, especially with not looking to TT for some time. Bear in mind that older generations TT'ed the parents not the kids at a young age! Often they were putting kids on potty every 20mins or so rather than the child heading to the toilet themselves!

You can always sell the MCNs later or save them for subsequent children
Lindsey

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:57am
I do plan to have more one day and use cloth next time, the reason we stopped and didn't get the next size was just some financial problems so it was cheaper to buy sposies than buy all the nappies at once if that makes sense - regret it now!

Cool, looks like I'll be making the switch back!

I have heard kids need to be potty trained by kindy so that's another 2 years...
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 1:06pm
i went cloth full time when my second child was a couple of months old and my oldest was a couple of months off two. He coped well with it.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 1:41pm
I started with a 1yo, just bought a set of 6 to begin with. Washed them every day and used sposies for night. They are just wearing out now, and have done two kids after her! It's never too late, I guess. Do the math. If you plan to have another kid, it's definitely gonna pay for itself. Or, if you keep them in good nick, you can sell them s/hand when you're finished.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 1:42pm
Also - the outers are the pricey part. Inners are cheaper, esp on trademe. Buy more inners than outers because outers usually dry in half an hour and the inners are more exp - if you use that kind of system.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 3:15pm
Cool, think we will definitely be making the switch! Am thinking about 8 nappies would be enough providing I washed them everyday!
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 3:31pm
One option you could consider is to get OSFM (one size fits most) nappies, which will grow with her over the year, then will fit the next bubba from early on (if indeed you choose to have another!). Do you know anyone close who uses cloth, who might lend you some nappies to try out before you buy?
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 4:07pm
Nic, I've just gone from part time cloth to full time cloth and I wash every 2nd day. I have an obession tho and have 50 million nappies lol I love the itti tuttos tho. And prefolds with a bummis cover.
I have millions of prefols and bummis if you'd like to borrow a couple to try? I'm happy to leand you them.
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 5:34pm
Yay for cloth!! I have 9 or 10 homemade pockets in size large that you're welcome to - DD is TTed now and will be a while before the baby in my tum will be in size large, and I plan to make more for him anyway . I used the old-fashioned-flat-nappies folded inside them as inserts which are super absorbant too, do you have some of those? I think I'll need all the ones I have but you can get them real cheaply off TM if you don't already have some. PM me if you're keen
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:21pm
If you can sew it is cheaper to make then yourself. Patterns on the Nappy Network site for free and material from Green Beans. I think it costs me about $7 per pocket and hemp insert
Lindsey

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 10:37am
I can sew but I don't think my sewing ability would be that great.

OSFA was actually something I was interested in, but which nappies do OSFA? And is it really OSFA?? Lol!

Thanks for the offer Rach, at this stage I am thinking of going with either OSFA nappies as someone explained above or peapods BUT I do have old school flats, we've used them before as nappies a couple of times but I must have been doing it wrong because she always leaked - but yeah, have used them for inserts too!
bebebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 11:14am
Just wanted to add, that we use 3-4 nappies a day. So 8 would be realistic to start with. You may find you use more, but as finance's allow you could get a couple more.
OSFA, I've measure bumgenius and rumparooz against large fuzzi's and they are a few cm lower. So if you have a really tall/large bubba then they may not quite last. But in saying that I haven't had older kids. So they might still be fine.
Good luck!
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 3:49pm
Nic, I call them OSFM - one size fits most, rather than all! The best ones I have - Itti Tuttos, Grovia and Pop-In (Pop-Ins mainly for night). They are all all-in-twos, with snap-in inserts. Have heard good things about the new Cute Tooshies Candies too. You can also get OSFM pocket nappies too, in heaps of different brands.

Also, in their second year, toddlers tend to slow down in growth, so growing out of the rise of most nappies might not be an issue.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 6:26pm
Cool, thanks for all the info! I've already noticed DDs height is slowing down, although her weight still seem to be about 500g+ a month...
 Post Reply Post Reply