FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrother BM2600 machine woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brother BM2600 machine woes
    Posted: 05 March 2011 at 2:53pm
I'm about to have a mental breakdown at my sewing machine. I am just trying to sew wipes - 2 bits of fabric sewn together. Sounds simple enough, right? But the blimmin thread breaks ALL THE TIME! If I manage to make it round one wipe only rethreading 6 times I am doing well

Seriously, WTF? I've been thru my manual and done all the "troubleshooting" it suggests for thread breaking. I've cleaned under the sewing plate (and managed to knock off the presser foot in the process which took half an hour to get out lol), have loosened the upper thread tension, turned the thread round to face the other way etc etc.
It also skips stitches but that's more so with zigzag stitch which I'm not doing right now, but have followed all the instructions for that too to no avail. My needle is sharp - it was replaced recently, and it is inserted properly, i checked it again. ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Does anyone else have these problems? Is it just that this machine is a piece of shyte, or perhaps it's me?! I'm using thread from Greenbeans which I always have done, is this thread not very good? I like it that it's only $2something for $1000m as opposed to much more expensive thread from Spotlite or other shops. But am willing to buy the expensive kind if it's the thread that's the problem.

I'm about ready to give up, but I have about 10 wipes to finish, plus 12 nappies (which cause even more problems as that's THREE layers of material which the machine copes with even less )

HELP!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Sponsored Links

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2011 at 5:31pm
I have this exact same machine and have the same problems! Its all to do with the thread tension.

I just get on offcut of material and play around with the tensions until I get it right.

It is a PITA though, its so frustrating!!
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 12:20pm
I've also had problems with this machine and the thread tension. After trying everything with a skirt I was sewing I decided to buy a better quality thread and the problem was instantly solved.
Sue
See my blog www.gojandal.com/wubboo

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 2:38pm
Thats interesting erinalba. I made curtains for our caravan using good quality $10 reels of cotton and still got the tension problems, although I must admit they weren't as frequent as when I use cheap thread!

Maybe that is atleast half my problem!
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 5:54pm
Right I'm gonna buy some expensive thread tomorrow!! I am seriously going mental lol, think I'll have a break from sewing till I have new thread to try out
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:07pm
Hmm. Actually I think a lot of it is the machine to be honest. It's interesting that so many of us are having the same issue. I've been trying fleece recently and it definately doesn't like it. I haven't had a chance to check the needle tho, but it's been put in so tightly that I can't get it out. Gonna have to get DP to use a bit of brute strength on it.
Sue
See my blog www.gojandal.com/wubboo

tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 1:30am
I have a Brother nx600 but haven't had that problem, it has auto tensioning though. My old singer used to snap threads, my only advice would be get good quality thread, make sure you have the same thread through the top & on the bobbin, make sure you're using the right needle for the fabric too. I'd ring the hotline number if the better thread doesn't help.
shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 7:35am
Yes, I had trouble with the cheap Greenbeans thresd in the same machine as well. I do sometimes have tension issues from too but once I switched the thread my nappies sewed fine.

Overall I've the found the machine to be pretty good for what I paid for it. It has survived making curtains, bridesmaid dresses, loads of nappies and wipes and bibs, taken up jeans etc..... I did, however, have a go with my Mum's old one while staying at her place a few weeks ago and boy do I covet a new machine now - just felt a bit more solid/sturdier some how

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 3:57pm
whenever i have this problem, i just change my needle and its fine. i have a Brother BC-2500.

also what type of thread do you use? I only use gutermann because anything else breaks constantly, need to use good quality thread. even using the organic cotton thread from gutermann is terrible. have to use the standard polyester stuff when i can. if you can afford it, dont buy the cheaper thread. gutermann is $3 for a 100m (110 yards) roll. think i pay about $10-$11 for a 500m roll?

also pull the thread right out and rethread from the start, not just trim and rethread the needle. (which im sure you already have)

if changing the needle, rethreading and using a good quality thread doesnt work, may be time for a service. also - make sure you are using the correct needle (ball point for stretch fabrics, standard/universal for non-stretch regular fabrics. (moving up to sharps for satins etc)

hope you figure it out breaking thread is my pet hate lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply