FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked13 month old waking up - scared of cot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
babyblue88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyblue88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13 month old waking up - scared of cot?
    Posted: 08 March 2011 at 12:47pm
My 13 month old has just started waking up around midnight and not wanting to go back into her cot. She will scream until we pick her up. It is taking us a minimum of 3 hours to get her back to sleep.

Have been trying multiple things, trying to get her to self settle, giving her bottle, pamol and bonjella, changing linen/clothing/nappies etc. I am starting to run out of ideas. Am going out this afternoon to get a nightlight and will be taking a few things out of her room and making it more comfortable for her. Although I'm scared of changing everything in fear of her being more scared. Last night we resorted to her sleeping in our bed - the one thing I REALLY did not want to do, but it's the only thing that slightly helped (only took an hour for her to fall asleep!)

Any ideas what might be happening? She has over 10 teeth, so very much doubt it's teething. Was thinking seperation anxiety? Although she did go through that at about 9 months old.

I need a full nights sleep! 2 hours sleep isn't cutting it when I have to be up at 5am for work! Any suggestions are more than welcome :)
Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 2:25pm
Anything changed?

My dd is experiencing separation anxiety a second time, first time was 8 months but dp has had the last 4 months off and so DD is finding the change difficult and thus we're going through it again.

We also have the same issues with the cot all of a sudden and no idea why... Nothing's changed in there! So for the last couple of months we have resorted to cosleeping.
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2011 at 9:26pm
K has been doing something similar the last few nights. We tend to first try the quick settle, atm its not working so we get her up, take her to our room, let her play on our bed quietly with lots of cuddles for 10-20mins, give her a drink of water or a BF if shes still beside herself, then we go through our whole nigh nighs routine again. (And we do check her nappy too but most times theres nothing there or only slightly wet)

Babies can go through seperation anxiety quite a few times, its not a one off thing, esp if something has changed. Atm Ks daddy is doing extra time at work, and he does evenings so I think this is her way of getting interaction with him and both of us together.

On another note, is it possible for you to let her snooze cuddled with you until she is basically asleep then transfer her back to her cot? I know this doesn't work with quite a few babies so take this one with a big grain of salt
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2011 at 9:46pm
DS did this at about that age, in the end it was easier to put him in our bed at least we got some sleep.

Only lasted a few weeks then he was good again.

Now DS is almost 2, he has started only sleeping if the light is on (nightlight doesn't cut it) I can turn it off after he's asleep but if he wakes up in the night he turns it back on.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2011 at 11:08am
it was about this age we had to start putting light on all night and he still wakes randomly and has a cuddle and is ok.. we think nightmares and scared of the dark for him
Mum to two amazing boys!
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2011 at 5:52pm

We've had this on and off, sometimes we let her sleep in our bed, if she'll sleep easily. Last night she woke up at 3.30 and didn't go back to sleep. Very tired today

Post Reply Post Reply