FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToothpaste ingredients!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toothpaste ingredients!!
    Posted: 15 March 2011 at 9:59am
For those with sensitivities for additives, what on earth do you do for toothpaste?

After discovering our DS 11m is reactive to Milk, Soy, Eggs, Tomatoes, Citris, and food additives & flavourings, I continued to brush his 2 little nubs of teeth (lol) with toothpaste. He has an unexplained eczema flare that just won't go away. (He's so itchy and not sleeping well), I read the toothpaste tube this morning to discover "Sodium Benzoate (211), Flavour, Sorbitol, Glycerol, ......and the list goes on....."
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 12:20pm
dont use any until you find something else. Alot of kids react to the mint flavouring in toothpastes, so be wary of that too. Have a look in a health shop to see if they have some alternatives, and pharmacys too. You can use a tiny smidgen of baking soda instead as well. good luck

Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 2:14pm
How about Weleda Tooth Gel? Theres less nasties in there, but not sure if it will be ok for you boy? Here are the ingredients anyway:
Ingredients (INCI)
Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Silica, Algin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Esculin, Limonene*.

My girl loves this stuff

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 3:07pm
you can buy toothpaste from organic shops, otherwise you can actually make your own just google for a recipe.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 3:35pm
Pretty sure you can use baking soda. Here is what I just googled for homemade toothpaste. link
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 8:19pm
I use Soul Pattersons Tooth paste, got a friend in Oz? Get them to send you a tube. Preservative free.

Other than that I make my own with baking soda. Flavouring it is unnecessary.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Snubbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 5:06pm
Children at 11mnths with only 2 teeth dont really need to b brushed with toothpaste, plaque removal can be achieved by just using a very soft child tbrush or a piece of gauze and a bit of water. Its more 'practice' than anything, as long as your removing the whitish buildup
(plaque) your baby's teeth will be fine.its not until
They have more teeth (usually the baby molars) and/or a more complex n sugary diet (ie lots of fruitjuices, sweets, etc) that you need the flouride from toothpaste. :) hope that helps
2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:26pm
Thanks for that recent post Snubbs. I made enquiries at dentists, health shops, chemists, and didn't find any flouride products that didn't contain lactose!
Aethalia
I just re-read your post and realised that the toothpaste was mint flavour! I will look again to see if their is a flouride toothpaste that is plain flavour and with no Benzoates. I'll try it once his rash from Jam calms down! Then I will know if it was the mint flavour.

I really want something decent as he does have a lot of sugar in his diet, It's one of the few things he doesn't react to "
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:45pm
Why do you want a toothpaste with flouride in it? Perhaps you should google flouride then you might be pretty keen to find a paste without that in either

Snubbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 8:02pm
To b honest i'm a big fan of flouride, i know some other mothers arent but after seeing n treating so many kids and adults alike from rampant decay the importance of brushing well and benefits of the very small small amnt of flouride contained in toothpaste definitely outweighs the risk of fluorosis, which btw is actually very rare unless the child is in the habit of actually eating toothpaste. :)
Snubbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 8:04pm
Oh i meant to add - from memory (abit blurry after pregnancy!) the two most common ingredients in toothpaste that cause reactions in children are usually the mint flavour, and SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 8:17pm
6 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons glycerin

This is basically what I use.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply