FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKnitting patterns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knitting patterns
    Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:01pm
I thought I might give knitting a go (not something I've done before) and just wondering if anyone knows of any good sites with decent patterns?

I'm wanting to do a reasonably plain cardigan for a newborn and then something for DS who will be 18 months. I don't want old fashioned kind of looks, so modern and kinda cool (especially for DS) is what I'm after.

Will keep googling in case I stumble across anything but any help is appreciated.

Also, I'm a lefty, will that make it harder to interpret patterns?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:49pm
Check out the sites in the Craft Links thread, ther might be something in there.
Otherwise The Warehouse sells wool and there are patterns on alot of their balls of wool, can't remember if any of them are kids patterns or not
Lindsey

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 6:16pm
Cool thanks for that Linzy, I'll check out the link. Didn't even think of The Warehouse for wool, so that's handy too.
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 6:48pm
I use ravelry.com - it's good because you can sort patterns according to whether they are free, difficulty level etc.
I've just got back into knitting after not doing any since I was a child and I love it! In fact, Spotlight have 20% off everything at the moment and I went a bit crazy in the wool department!

Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 6:51pm
Knitworld in Henderson is good, and there are ladies there who are helpful if you need to know anything. That is the downside to buying from Spotlight etc as there is nobody to ask stuff.
Mrs_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 7:50pm
I recommend Ravelry too - awesome selection of patterns and lots that are free. I kntted this- really easy, all in one piece and not fussy
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 9:16pm
Yep Ravelry is fab, although I recommend reading reviews of patterns first so you don't end up 'frogging' something you've spent lots of time on.. The Payton/Peyton pattern cardy is a goodie for a simple project that looks cool.

You could try YouTube for some tut vids as well

If you have a local wool shop, drop in and ask if they provide any kind of lessons... Knit World in Wellington have been great in answering questions I've had mid-knit although with demanding littlies I don't always have the time!
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
frangipanigirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frangipanigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:04pm
i have not knitted since i was at primary and thought i might get into and maybe gift the items to the hospital or something, just wondering where would i go or what do i read to learn to knit again! i dont know anyone close that can teach me!
1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

MorgansMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorgansMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 5:56pm
You tube is great for knitting, www.ravelry.com is awesome for patterns and technics
Morgan, Libby

dixie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:44pm
www.knittinghelp.com/ is great for learning to knit. I taught myself to knit about a year ago. I had a book, but found the little videos on here really helpful. The difference between just reading about how to do something, and seeing it done, how the movements flow together.

Ravelry is awesome I agree. I get very distracted on there searching all the cute baby patterns!

Spotlight have frequent sales on wool, but Knitworld offer great advice and will teach you to knit too.
BeanieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeanieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:31am
I love Spotlight and Knitworld, and also check out TradeMe - there are people who will sell u the pattern with all the wool you need :) And don't forget your local library - they quite often have cool patterns

I'm a lefty knitter, and I knit the same as a righty - it's not a problem, and if you learn the regular way it makes it a lot easier to use YouTube and books for teaching
Unexplained infertility
IVF #1 Sept 2012 - BFN
Transfer #1 05/02/13 - BFP!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply