FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmidwife gift???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: midwife gift???
    Posted: 09 April 2011 at 7:55am
What did people get for the MW and when did they give it to her?
Sponsored Links

Spacette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 8:11am
I gave her some photos of A and some cookies and homegrown courgettes, hehe. And that was at final visit.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 8:29am
I bought mine a pedicure voucher, gave it to her at the last visit
http://lilypie.com]
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 9:31am
Nothing here. She's just doing her job, definitely didn't go over and above by any stretch of the imagination, so no desire to give pressies.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 9:53am
I thought about giving mine something but didnt, because like Hopes said she's just doing her job. I think if she'd done something dramatic and really gone out of her way i would have got her something - probably wine or chocolates or something. If i were to be giving her gifts i'd know her well enough to know if she liked wine or not . And i'd give it at the last visit.

Oh and mine hinted that she normally gets a gift at her second to last visit so i was determined not to after that lol.
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 9:56am
I was VERY happy with my MW so I always made sure I'd baked scones or cookies when she came round, and on her final visit I gave her a posh scented candle and a card
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 11:15am
I also think that it is their job,so no need to spend any money on them.
I gave my midwife some baking, and a thank you card with a photo of my baby on the front.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 11:29am
We gave our m/w a huge box of home baked cookies and fruit cake the day we came home from the hospital. My lovely Mum (who is a fabulous cook) made the baking for her on behalf of me.

She was such a great support person to me after a pretty horrific birth and I wanted to thank her for that. She went out of her way on more than one occassion to help me deal with many different things.   We remained friends ever since and she is my m/w for number 2!
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 3:34pm

I gave mine nothing, she wasn't very involved with my pregnancy and I didn't trust her by the end. If she had been great then I would have thought more about it

Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 5:10pm
I didn't give mine anything either...as the others have said, it's her job.
I asked my sister what I should give my midwife and she said "would you get the surgeon who removed your appendix a present?"...and the answer was no, so I didn't.
I sent her a photocard of DS when he was about 3 weeks old though as she didn't do the postnatal visits.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 8:38pm
We got our MW a bunch of Flowers (spent $50 on a lovely bunch in her fave colour - red). She Loved them! Gave it to her on our 'last' visit but we had an issue so we ended up with another 2 visits. I was 100% happy with my MW throughout her care with me and her care with Lily. We had absolutely no problems so wanted to say thanks for the wonderful 9+months we were together. If I hadn't been 100% happy I probably wouldn't have bothered.
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Mealz79 Mealz79 wrote:

I asked my sister what I should give my midwife and she said "would you get the surgeon who removed your appendix a present?"...and the answer was no, so I didn't.

I think it's a very personal thing and has a lot to do with many months of contact most woman have with their MW.

When I had half my thyroid removed I didn't buy the surgeon a gift as I'd only met him a couple of times, for all of a few minutes. I did however give my GP a big box of homemade cookies as a thank you for being so supportive when my son had horrible eczema.
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:05am
I didn't get mine anything either..I didn't feel a real connection with her and she didn't support me much during my labour. She also went on holiday the day after I had him so I had her backups backup for my postnatal visits. My MW did come to see me at 5weeks PP just to see the baby so that was my gift to her HAH!

If I had had a much more personal connection with her and felt she'd done more then 'just' her job then I would of done something. But she didn't. So I didn't.
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:23am
I gave mine a nice bottle of wine as she was great. OK so they are just doing their job. However, I always think you should thank someone for a job well done. I have done the same with my team at work taken them out to lunch etc and my work gave as vouchers and stuff for outstanding work. Even if its just a card. Which reminds me I have I thank you gift owing...

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Milliemoo Milliemoo wrote:

I was VERY happy with my MW so I always made sure I'd baked scones or cookies when she came round, and on her final visit I gave her a posh scented candle and a card

Oh wow, bet she loved you. I have to say the thought never crossed my mind to even offer food lead alone bake something specially when she came to visit!

We were going to get a gift but then the day of her final visit she rang and said is it alright to come over in about an hour or so and said it will be her final visit.   I didn't realise they stopped coming so soon and was expecting another couple of weeks. I was intending on dropping something off, but life was a wee bit busy so I never did. Might get some wine or choccies in advance this time :)

What would you do if you ended up with a back up midwife for the birth? Would you give both gifts?
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 12:48pm
Yea, if someone goes over and above for me, I reckon it's really nice to appreciate that (I'm a big fan of sending a letter commending their service to their manager, in casees where it's appropriate - though that doesn't work for midwives!). And if my midwife had have been super-special, I probably would have. But with just 'standard', or even worse, 'poor', I wouldn't.

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 4:22pm
I gave my midwife a box of fancy chocolates and a photo of DD. I didn't end up giving it to her until a few weeks after my final visit.

I can't see the comparison between your midwife and a surgeon who shows up on the day to do an operation?
I saw my midwife for 9 months and spent the best part of a day with her delivering my daughter. Then she came around to my house for followups. It is a very different circumstance. I know I am one of the lucky ones who had a very supportive midwife and an excellent relationship with her.

There are plenty of other people who are 'just doing their jobs' that I have given gifts to; hairdresser, teachers etc. It recognizes that although they are doing their job, they are going beyond what is just required and lets them know that they are appreciated.
Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 5:45pm
My husband is a doctor and does get occassional gifts - usually when people feel that he has done something 'above and beyond' for him.

My first midwife was dialling it in so I didn't bother giving her anything.

My second midwife (and student) were both fantastic - very involved, very supportive and became a part of our family for awhile. I also knew my midwife professionally. We gave her a huge box of stuff from Lush, and a smaller gift (also from Lush) for the student. We also wrote cards. I wrote thank you cards to other people who were particularly helpful during the birth.
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:34pm
I gave both my MW and the backup MW a bottle of wine each and a card with a few photos of my boy and a little note to say a huge thank you.
Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:44pm

I had a great MW who was really supportive as I was a bit of unique case for her due to my breathing problems. Gotta give them a bit of a challenge every now and again aye

So anyways I knew she was going to be a first time Grandmother a few months after Zoe was born so I got her a flash baby photo frame to put a nice pic of her new grandchild in and our thank you cards had photo's of Zoe on them

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>