FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen did you start solids? and what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EcoMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EcoMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did you start solids? and what?
    Posted: 11 April 2011 at 4:43pm
I woudl be very interested to know at what age you started solids, what you started with and any advice or info on getting started.
My daughter is 4 months and others in the coffee group are on to solids but Im feeling a bit nervous about it. We are going to a solids group at plunket next week - but would like other opinions and advice too before we begin.
Sponsored Links

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:12pm
We waited for closer to 6 months.
At 5.5 months our usually great sleeper started waking during the night for a BF so we started with Farex and EBM. Then was steamed and pureed pear.
First it was just one farex feed a day (mid morning) but quickly upped it to 3 small meals as she loved it so much.
I found THISsite fantastic for making food at home.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:43pm
Both boys were 6mths before I started them on solids, was probably the last one in my coffee group to do so.
I started Jack on potato and then added several veges (kumara, pumpkin, carrot I think) before I started any fruits.
With Ben I did baby led weaning, the first thing I gave him was some of our cooked carrot sticks while we ate dinner. Can't remember what I gave him next as he got whatever we were having for dinner. It took him about 2wks to learn to swollow (sp?? looks wrong). He is a great little eater at dinner time, not sure if that is coincidence or not
Lindsey

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 7:03pm
We started at 6 months. Banana was her first food but we did BLW so she pretty much ate exactly what we ate from the start.

I don't think DD was 100% ready for solids at 6 months and we could easily have continued just BFing for another month at least.

I personally would wait for the Plunket thing before starting so you get 'some' idea.

We were also one of the 'lasts' to start solids!
EcoMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EcoMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:51am
thanks heaps! I will be waiting for the plunket thing - but am glad to hear that people waited. I like the idea of the carrot sticks.
Where can I find out info about Baby Led Weaning? can I do BLW if she is going to daycare next month?
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 9:31am
We did BLW as well, its so much easier. We didnt start until about 6 months when DD was showing the signs of being ready- not just because everyone else was doing it. About 4 months babies go through a whole lot of changes that make them look like they are hungry but in reality are just going through another stage. Back in the day babies were not feed food until around 9 months and they survived just fine on milk only.

If you do a search for baby led weaning on this site or BLW you will find lots of threads with really good helpful hints. Gill rapley has written a really good book about it, you should be able to get it from the library or buy one online.

Basically you feed them whatever you have and you dont put anything in their mouth for them. My girl didnt start 'eating' until about 8 months up until then she was just 'tasting' things and some ended up going through, some didnt. They very really choke as they are in control of what is going into their mouths. Gagging is normal and it is not choking.

You have to be very relaxed about it and if you are going to be worried about how much she is or isnt eating then its not right for you. I think that milk is the most important food until one, then it is still quite important but food should be up there.

Start with giving them sticks of food- make sure it is cooked so much that it stays firm to hold but when they put it in their mouth it will mash up easily. Keep it nice and relaxed, eat with them, dont worry if most of it ends up on the floor, and watch as your baby learns to eat, its amazing

EcoMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EcoMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:54pm
relaxed sounds like us - Thanks for the tips! after a bit of reading, it looks like BLW might be right up our alley as that was how I was bought up (it just didnt have a name back then).

Still interested in hearing what other people are doing too.
jessiesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessiesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:35pm
I started DD at 6 months and DS at 5.5 months.. in hindsight he wasn't into it at all for a couple of months so it was a total waste of time. Ended up pretty much BLW. There's a really good book by Nicola Galloway called Cooking for your Child. It might be hard to find at the moment as she's revising it with the next edition due out in July I think. But she takes a more considered and cautious approach especially around foods that tend to cause allergies/intolerances. She recommends waiting until 6 months as babies guts are porous and their immune systems are still maturing. I started both mine on pear and then rice,they are the least allergenic foods and steamed pears are so delicious for mum to eat up! Some Plunket/Karitane nurses seem keen to rush them into solids to help with sleeping (not that it made any difference to my 2) and the foods that they recommend are so processed so it felt better to just offer whole foods that they could feed themselves with.
Good luck! It is so much fun watching them discover food.

DD 2007, Angel Baby 2009, DS 2010
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 3:57pm
Hey, DS is only 3 months but also the only one at our coffee group not on farix! He's recently starting giving all the signs of wanting to eat (mouthing, waking when he hadnt before, watching me eat and licking his lips etc) and i was thinking jeez, maybe he DOES need to start at around 4 months but i went to the plunket thingy and was reassured that no he does not!

So i'm back to holding of until 6 months at least. I want to do BLW too - i'm very excited to start!
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 4:46pm
We started at 5.5 months and he had a piece of nectarine. But we are also ones that did BLW.

This baby we wont start till 6 months or even 7 months as food then is really just to explore not to fill them up (supplementary to their milk diet).

If you are interested in BLW there are a few threads. And this one
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:23am
Jacob didn't start till about six months. He just didn't seem ready. I was a late starter too, but I wasn't going to push him into something he didn't want. I'd recommend the pear or farax... I gave Jacob kumera, and it blocked him up so bad!

It's worth getting the BLW book out of the library, it's worth a read. I got a lot from it, and did a combination of the two (so, according to the book, I'm not really doing BLW at all... but I'm pretty cool with giving him some puree and some non-mushed food). One thing I got from it was the confidence that he's not as likely to choke as our parents generation seems to think (and with Jacob, that definitely seems to be true).

I must be really different to the average, though, because everyone raves about how 'easy' BLW is. To be honest, for me being able to give purees has made my life a LOT easier... you're at a cafe, no need to worry about a huge mess, just whip out a puree and his moouth is the only thing you need to wipe off. In a hurry - I find he eats a lot faster when he's having purees (doesn't seem to do him any harm, he still swallows at his own pace, he just eats faster because it's easier to get the food in). He still 'eats what we eat' - if he doesn't have tea 'whole' I just mush it with a stick blender. On the other hand, he has a lot of fun with a sandwich, and in the early days whole pieces of melon were the Best. Thing. Ever. - I'm glad he's had those experiences too.

Edited by Hopes

KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 1:35pm
I started my boy on solids at 4months as he is a hungry baby, now has half a jar every feed plus 220mls of formula. So far he has had pear, fruit salad, banana, pumpkin, potato and carrots. Going to try kumara after the pumpkin and carrot ice cubes run out.

He has tried Farex but hated it, will try again soon as they say it can take them up to ten tastes to decide whether they like it.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:54pm
Ugh both my boys hated Farex too!

I tried DS2 on baby rice at 5 months but he wasn't really into it. Waited another couple of weeks and then gave him a mashed banana one afternoon when he was really whinging and (.) wasn't cutting it ... he wolfed it down and we haven't looked back since!

I'm with you Hopes and don't find BLW "easier" at all. Both my kids have started on purees but I've given them finger foods from 6mo as well. I think you just need to do what fits right for your baby and your family too.

The general advice given now seems to be start solids between 4-6 months which is different from when my DS1 was starting out on solids 2 years ago. The advice does seem to change every few years or so

I wouldn't stress too much about it, once you get going it sort of all falls into place and then after a few months you wonder where on earth your little baby has gone!

Plunket has info online about the different stages and introducing solids.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply