FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCanadians raising gender-free baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 6:07pm
Delli i dont think it is sick to keep it from other people but to not even let the child know! that is definitely weird!

Sponsored Links

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 6:43pm
I don't think I've read anywhere that they will be keeping Storm's gender a secret from Storm.

My impression was that they were just keeping it a secret from other people so other people had less opportunity to push their own gender based ideas onto Storm.

Unless they keep Storm's and their other children's clothes duct tapped on (which I doubt, being the highly liberal parents they are), Storm is sure to be asking "What's that?" and "Do I have one of those?" kinds of questions before too long - to which I am sure Storm's parents will give a satisfactory explanation on the physical differences between males and females.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 7:59pm
i linked one on my FB page that said they werent going to be telling Storm either...

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 8:12pm
Oh cool, could you give me the link or quote it? Did they say they weren't going to tell him/her ever or just until (s)he asked?

TIA

ETA - used male pronouns without even realizing it, haha.

Edited by Delli

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 9:00am
i cant find the link... but she did say that they were going to let the baby decide... and i supposed if you are raising them genderless then there wouldnt be any cooing "oh what a gorgeous little boy/girl mummy has".

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 10:18am
Hmmmm that would be really confusing for the child.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Delli Delli wrote:

Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

Idiots, thats sick! Poor kid.

Oh, "sick" seems to be an extreme sort of word to use in these circumstances. Can I ask why you feel that way?

I can understand people saying it's "silly" or even "stupid" as it doesn't conform to their own ideas regarding child rearing but "sick"' to me seems to indicate the thought that this is a form of child abuse.

Do you think it is abuse to keep a child's gender a secret from other people?

Where did I say it was child abuse? I just think its a very weird and sick thing to do, hiding a gender? why? So thats my opinion, you dont have to like it.

tarns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 4:57pm
I reckon its pretty sick too TBH and my overriding question is WHY? If they are relaxed enough to accept that their child may be gay, transgender or come what may then what the heck is all this parlava about? Weird. Guess the first two boys were lucky....
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 7:06pm
ahhhhh see i made my comments based on the idea they werent going to tell storm. If they arent telling the lady down the road then she can't say "Here little boy, play with the tractors with the other boys" or something which i understand even though taking it to massive extremes.

Though i wonder how many parents will want him/her to come vist...
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 9:43pm

Originally posted by Delli Delli wrote:

Idiots, thats sick! Poor kid.

Oh, "sick" seems to be an extreme sort of word to use in these circumstances. Can I ask why you feel that way?

I can understand people saying it's "silly" or even "stupid" as it doesn't conform to their own ideas regarding child rearing but "sick"' to me seems to indicate the thought that this is a form of child abuse.

Do you think it is abuse to keep a child's gender a secret from other people?

Where did I say it was child abuse? I just think its a very weird and sick thing to do, hiding a gender? why? So thats my opinion, you dont have to like it.

Sorry, you didn't say it was child abuse. You said it was "sick". Definition of sick in the context you were using it: Unwholesome, morbid, sadistic or disgusting and revolting. All words you would use to describe an unjust or wrongful practise which is what abuse is.

I didn't conclude that you thought it was child abuse - what I was trying to say was that your word choice was such that one could make the connection and asked if you thought it was so. I wasn't challenging you - I was just asking a question.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 10:04pm
I read that not even the grandparent know what gender Storm is , which I think is pretty sad...I cant imagine not telling any of my children's grandparents whether they are boys or girls.

and there is a difference between not telling someone what gender your baby is and keeping it a secret.

for eg you go to the supermarket with your newborn.....generally speaking you dont go announcing "this is a boy/girl" but if someone asks "ooh what an adorable baby, little boy or girl?"

but yeah I think it is alittle weird to keep your child's gender a secret especally from family and close friends
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 9:31pm
Its just the word I chose to describe how I think it is, and I really do think its very weird and in a way sick. That all I have to say about that

Edited by Sheza

rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 6:24pm
1st off how someone words an open opinion is up to them.

I think this is a bit extreme, gender stereotyping isnt something new to society, I actually think its decreased in the passed decade. but that could just be becoz i myself dont care what someone else chooses to do about their own gender/sexuality.

being a parent doesnt mean you get to choose that your boy is to dress in pretty dresses that should be intirely up to the child, what 4mth old picks out there own wardrobe? to be genderfree and considerate of that childs feelings as they get older they should be putting the child in clothing that is completely unisex.
i do not believe an 18mth olds would pick out a dress in a store becoz he wanted to wear it. children at that age are not even aware of the clothes they wear.

but I can see this being the next thing when it comes to parents wanting to be natural. but even tribes in remote villages who are the real natural parents of the world stereotype a childs gender.

Edited by rorylex
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by rorylex rorylex wrote:

but I can see this being the next thing when it comes to parents wanting to be natural. but even tribes in remote villages who are the real natural parents of the world stereotype a childs gender.

That is very true. I studied Anthropology at University and we studied one tribe where boys had to wear their hair long and girls had to cut theirs short and then when they got older it switched. And gender was a very important thing and they had celebrations at certain points in their lives that were significant to their gender.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 10:25pm
I might be missing the point here but I really don't understand why its such a problem to be referred to as either a boy or a girl. I'm all for encouraging your child to be who they want to be, and my DD loves her Thomas train set and Bob the Builder books/DVDs just as much as ballet and barbies, but I don't think there is anything wrong with being one or the other. Or other people relating to the child as either being a boy or a girl.

I also read the whole article and I felt like the parents were using their other kids as an experiment too. This is what they said about the oldest boy who is 5:

"Jazz — soft-spoken, with a slight frame and curious brown eyes — keeps his hair long, preferring to wear it in three braids, two in the front and one in the back, even though both his parents have close-cropped hair. His favourite colour is pink, although his parents don’t own a piece of pink clothing between them. He loves to paint his fingernails and wears a sparkly pink stud in one ear, despite the fact his parents wear no nail polish or jewelry.

Jazz was old enough for school last September, but chose to stay home. “When we would go and visit programs, people — children and adults — would immediately react with Jazz over his gender,” says Witterick, adding the conversation would gravitate to his choice of pink or his hairstyle.

That’s mostly why he doesn’t want to go to school. When asked if it upsets him, he nods, but doesn’t say more."

I read this and thought poor kid. These parents are setting this kid up to stand out from the crowd from the word go. If he ever does go to school he will be the target of a huge amount of bullying.
Spacette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:38pm
I don't think it's that big a deal tbh. Wouldn't choose it myself, but interesting idea. I think (he's) a boy too for some reason, hehe. It's not like the kids have to keep it secret - I'm sure it will be public in the reasonably near future anyway because of the furore.

Also, it's probably another debate (sorry), but unschooling/homeschooling can often be pretty successful IMO. It's generally chosen by parents who have their chidren's best interests at heart and are willing to spend a lot of time and energy on them - if they were slack types, school is an easier option anyway. I was raised on a combo (some structured stuff but often not) and like to think my siblings and I have done ok .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12