FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCanadians raising gender-free baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kiwiking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwiking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadians raising gender-free baby
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 3:34pm
http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-secret

Basically they have two sons and now have a third baby called Storm but won't tell anyone whether it's a boy or a girl because they want to raise it in a world where peopel don't make assumptions based on gender.

The other sons choose their outfits and often wear dresses and pretend to be princesses.

What do you think?

I'm all for freedom of expression but I think this goes a bit far.
Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 4:19pm
No way I'd ever do that. Not because I don't believe we have bad stereotypes about gender / make bad assumptions based on gender - we really do, and I don't like it at all. But because they're setting their kid up for a lot more assumptions and rude comments this way. I think they're making it harder, not easier.

Also, being a woman is something that's important to me. I don't agree with a lot of the assumptions people make about gender, but that doesn't mean I'm happy to ditch the concept!! Men and women are different, afterall, and that's a good thing to be celebrated rather than ignored/hidden.

I'm much happier to bring Jacob up as a boy, but make a point of letting him know he's free to make his own choices regardless of other people's views. Along the lines of "some people think dolls are girls toys, but we know that boys and girls can enjoy playing with them, don't we?" kind of stuff.

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 4:32pm

I work quite hard at going against gender stereotyping in our house, DS is encouraged to play in whichever way he chooses, regardless of whether its traditionally a male / female thing. He loves dressing up like a fairy / princess / mermaid, but also loves being a fireman / policeman / spaceman!

I think this is taking it a bit too far, and whilst "Storm" is a baby its quite easy to get away with it, but as soon as the child starts to develop an identity then they are going to need to associate with a specific gender. Interestingly - I read an article (will try and dig it out) that said children dont really understand the concept of gender (in terms of identity) until they are about 5.

Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:04pm
I find that quite interesting, I doubt Storm will stay gender-neutral though, as they say until 1 of the 3 children can't keep the secret or don't want to.

Funnily enough at 1 yr old if I dress my girl in her "boy" (blue) clothes she will be taken as a boy 100% of the time, but even dressed in pink she is still sometimes called a boy. We let her play however she wants, trucks/dolls/shapeo/teddies, who cares, if shes having fun and learning from it then thats a healthy child.
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:13pm
OMG seriously. They think people are horrible for making decisions for their children. For goodness sake, if their 3 year old (hyperthetical) decided it no longer wanted to ride in a car seat would they just go with what the child wanted - no! well at least I hope not.

I think they have taken to a bigger extreme than the whole gender thing. You can encourage and support a child to explore and become who they want to become - gender included - without being like that.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:15pm
Strange.....bit extreme! Cooper brought home an angelina ballerina DVD & A thomas the tank engine book from the library, he copies his sisters dancing but also does rugby tackles, he wears his hair up if he wants to but to hide him from being a boy....crazy

Also "itterick practices unschooling, an offshoot of home-schooling centred on the belief that learning should be driven by a child’s curiosity. There are no report cards, no textbooks and no tests. For unschoolers, learning is about exploring and asking questions, “not something that happens by rote from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays in a building with a group of same-age people, planned, implemented and assessed by someone else,” says Witterick. The fringe movement is growing. An unschooling conference in Toronto drew dozens of families last fall."
- gee this is raising worthy members of society, I would like to hear how these kids are doing in 20 years time & what they are doing for a crust!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:01am
Its like they dont want to raise a boy child who then turns out to be gay and vice versa. I think its rather stupid. DD is alloweed to do whatever she wants with play, granted most of her clothes are pink but thats cause thats what you get from TM, although lots of grannys ask how the boy is doing! LOL

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:44pm
so when talking about Storm, I wonder what they will use instead of the masculine/feminine pronouns?? you can't always use the name, it sounds ridiculous.... and you'd hope they wouldn't refer to their baby as 'it'
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 2:26pm
Good point freckle. I reckon it would be really hard not to slip if you weren't on your guard.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:01pm
fruit loops

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:30pm
I actually don't have a problem with it and can definitely see why they have done it.

Storm's gender isn't going to stay a secret forever - just as long as all of the children are comfortable with it. I imagine that will only be a few years at the most. For now - I imagine it is quite liberating.

As they say:

"The moment a child’s sex is announced, so begins the parade of pink and barrage of blue. Tutus and toy trucks aren’t far behind."

Not saying I'd do that with my baby but I get where they are coming from.

ETA - and they don't say that Storm won't know his or her own gender. They are just keeping it a secret from OTHER people. Why is it so important that other people know the gender?

Edited by Delli

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:51pm
I just came to post about this here is my link of many more links if people want more reading, includes parent responses etc.

I get that once you say 'boy' you get blue clothes, trucks, cars, moterbikes, toy diggers and rugby games. But like Hopes said i think you can break that mould without going that far. Besides by the time he is old enough for peer pressure he'll be well aware what gender he is and will get all the "boys don't wear pink" or "boys play hockey not ballet" anyway! Sounds like they're lining him up for a lot of bullying later in life. I'm all for my son wearing a tutto and pretending to be a princess but i wouldnt necessarily let him go to school dressed like that aged 10, kids being cruel and all.

*somewhere along the lines i've decided Storm is a boy. No idea why!
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:40pm

I actually found the mothers response very interesting, and I actual "get it" now. I respect what they are trying to do - although I dont think in todays society its necessarily the right approach (rightly or wrongly!)

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:21am
I wonder who birthed him (can't say it!). I assume unassisted homebirth, otherwise somewhere there is a midwife who knows the answer!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:56am
DD often gets mistaken as a boy and sometimes I roll with it

I would never hide her gender from her or others but she is free to make whatever choices she wants regarding how she dresses, what she plays with etc. If other's don't like it then that's their problem - not ours.
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 11:28am
Their baby, their choices
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Bowie Bowie wrote:

I wonder who birthed him (can't say it!). I assume unassisted homebirth, otherwise somewhere there is a midwife who knows the answer!

The only people who know are Storm’s brothers, Jazz, 5, and Kio, 2, a close family friend and the two midwives who helped deliver the baby in a birthing pool at their Toronto home on New Year’s Day.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2011 at 12:34pm
Idiots, thats sick! Poor kid.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2011 at 5:12pm
Meh, i think it is insane - they are drastically limiting the amount of people who can change that kid's nappy (although my money is on early toilet training ;), but hey, they are hurting him/her, and they aren't neglecting him/her, so i really couldn't care less
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

Idiots, thats sick! Poor kid.

Oh, "sick" seems to be an extreme sort of word to use in these circumstances. Can I ask why you feel that way?

I can understand people saying it's "silly" or even "stupid" as it doesn't conform to their own ideas regarding child rearing but "sick"' to me seems to indicate the thought that this is a form of child abuse.

Do you think it is abuse to keep a child's gender a secret from other people?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>