FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLearning to Knit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kimnthekids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimnthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning to Knit
    Posted: 12 June 2011 at 1:18pm

I would like to learn to knit. My evenings are pretty much spent reading, on the internet or watching tele/movies, and I really need a hobby! I've decided knitting is it! I figure its cheaper than sewing to learn, as i dont need to buy a big sewing machine.

BUT... short of joining a knitting class (do they even have these?) How do I go about it?

Is there a website that can teach you, or anything?
Sponsored Links

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 2:11pm
Youtube!! They have videos for everything lol
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Caronz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caronz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 6:30pm
There are good books in the Library too
TTC since 06 with MFI
IVF with ICSI 2007 BFN
DI Sept 08=BFP DS 06/09
TTC #2 since June 2010
DI#2 Aug10=BFP MC@10weeks
2011= 10 rounds of DI 4 with clomid- all neg
May 2012- IVF
Kimnthekids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimnthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 8:04pm
Haha silly me, hadnt thought of the library - Right youtube and library, here i come
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 1:06pm
Ravelry.com has lots of cool patterns. I've just started knitting too...have owned needles for just over a week now!! You tube tutorials are the best....and google for deciphering patterns....
I started with some wee fingerless gloves (learned to cast on, knit, cast off...and sewed them together with blanket stitch). Then a wee hat...(Cast on, knit, purl, decrease), and I've done a few other wee things too.
HAVE FUN!!
kathamill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 1:46pm
YouTube "how to knit" and you'll get great tutorials. The knit witch is a good person to look out for on YouTube.
mrsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2011 at 3:38pm
I found this website fantastic.
mumzrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumzrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 8:39pm
You can buy knitting pattern books that have a 'how to knit' section in it and simple patterns to.
chelledania View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelledania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 10:13pm
Anyone know if there are any crochet classes?
mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:45am
It depends where you are. I didn't have much luck finding any in my area, but I still managed to teach myself with Youtube videos and websites like this.

Then I just picked a pattern (from Ravelry), looked up how to do the stitches needed for it, and then just learned as I went along.

I found it much easier than learning how to knit (although I learned to knit when I was a kid, so that may be a factor).
AngieBabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngieBabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:06pm
Sweet, thanks for the link MissShell... think I may feel the need to add crochet to my reportoire, even though I have much on my crafty plate already
ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:00am
I've been learning to crochet- like MissShell, I found some patterns and then looked up the stitches online. I found THIS website really helpful. The one thing I've found a wee bit annoying is that the UK and US terms for stitches are different- so you do need to know where your pattern comes from: ie a US double crochet (DC) is actually a UK Treble crochet (TR)

I've found it was easier than knitting, but probably mainly because I am very right handed!

Mintyfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintyfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:58pm
My mum taught me how to knit/purl, but everything else I have learned by trial and error, or youtube.

Knitting is super easy to learn and master - I would suggest making dishcloths first as they are a good way to learn different stitches. Also brilliant for washing baby/yourself/dishes/the bench, anything.

Just make sure you use cotton yarn for dishcloths

Edited by Mintyfresh
dixie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 12:07pm
I agree about Ravelry and Knittinghelp. Great websites for learning and patterns. I have a how to knit book, but found videos were better for showing the rhythm you are meant to have.

Lots of people start with knitting a scarf, but they take ages and are boring to knit! I say try something a bit more challenging that will at least keep you interested. Baby clothes are great as they don't take that long to do. Basic hats are good - instant gratification!

Trademe is great for cheap knitting supplies and yarn. I bought an old lady's entire knitting needle stash for pretty cheap. It can get expensive if you have to go and buy new needles etc everytime you do a new project.
mrsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 2:08pm
I have a pattern for a baby hat in Word format if anyone wants it to practice with:
[/IMG]

PM me your email if you would like to try it. It has knitting and purling and decreases and thats about it! Pretty simple. Has sizes from newborn up to infant (I haven't made the biggest size so not sure exactly how big it is).
frangipanigirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frangipanigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2011 at 5:56pm
dixie i totally agree with you on the boring scarf thing! i started yesterday to teach myself how to knit and started with a scarf and have done maybe 15 rows and am bored of it already! think i will give up on that and try find a nice easy baby hat pattern, although i have looked some patterns and am totally lost!!!

1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

Guest_47701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_47701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by chelledania chelledania wrote:

Anyone know if there are any crochet classes?

You tube is great for crochet tutorials. Also try Ravelry.com for patterns or even crochetpatterncentral.com I learnt to crochet just before bubs was born and i'm hooked...'scuse the pun lol
leks82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leks82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 2:48pm
I learnt to knit from reading/watching tutorials online. Hubby said I needed a hobby and suggested knitting...I wasn't really interested (was thinking boring scarves and old lady jumpers) until I looked into it and discovered socks! Probably not the best thing to start with but the unusualness of it was motivating for me. Haven't even thought about knitting for over a year though, but now that I'm reminded of it I'm tempted to dig out a half finished pair that I know are lying around somewhere in the back of the closet and finally finish them...
 Post Reply Post Reply