FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"slurping" feeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "slurping" feeds
    Posted: 18 June 2011 at 6:41pm
I asked this in the feeding section too, but thought more people would see it here.

My baby boy can't seem to stay latched on while feeding - he sorta slurps and sucks a few times and slips off then slurps some more. He still seems to get full, and there are no worries with weight gain at all (he's put on over a kilo since he was born) but any ideas on how to teach him how to stay latched on?

DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 6:50pm
Sorry no idea but didn't want to read and run.
Have you spoken to your mw or Plunket about it? Maybe they could refer you to a lactation consultant. Or you could try calling La Leche League. Despite it all it sounds like he is doing really well, congrats!
Lindsey

pudgy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 7:00pm
Have you got a fast letdown ? And/or a really good supply ? Ds used to do that with morning feeds or anyime he went longer than normal between feeds. I would go to a LLL meeting and they can observe what's happening .
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 7:46pm
DS is doing the same thing right now, he tends to do it when he's just sucking for comfort, or going to sleep

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 8:48pm
Interesting to read this rachelsea, I am still using shields but the times I have tried without them DD slurps and slips off and I thought I was doing something wrong. I do have both a good supply and a fast let down where DD gulps and gulps so I'm guessing that may have something to do with it then.

I'm planning on going to the Plunket family centre or LLL soon to get some help to hopefully wean off the shield so it will be interesting to see what they say.

Sounds like your DS is doing really well despite the slurp/slipping

Edited by MrsEmma

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 8:52pm
Agree with MamaT but also Lily came on and off a lot as a NB when she was sleepy or if I was having a letdown as my letdown was really forcefull... TMI it sprayed over 1m!

Great news about the weight gain! Lily gained 1kg per month until 6 months!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2011 at 3:34am
Could it be that your rather full and the full boob is making it hard for him to stay on?
Ohh I think I read somewhere your using lanilin? could it be making your boob slippery? Try wetting your fingers and see if the water makes it slippery, it might be that?
Other than that I second the LLL and LC comments And high 5 for the massive weight gain! He doesnt look like a NB any more!!

+1 May 09 Angel
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2011 at 9:21pm
hehe Rach he definitely felt erm, cuddly enough when I was holding him the other day
Come to the next LLL meeting with me, they're such nice people and I have really close friends there who no doubt will be able to enlighten you further. Scarlett's a slurper too lol, I just assumed it was cos she's a bit lazy on the latch

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 11:44am
Thanks ladies, it seems to be at most feeds where he does the slurping thing. I do seem to have a pretty good milk supply and fast let down so it could be that causing it! He also is a spilly baby (like DD was) so I'm probably drowning the poor fella

My mw just discharged us on Friday so will speak to Plunket about it when we see them, but I'm not too worried seeing he's a little piggy and gaining well hehe. Keep me posted when LLL is Emmecat

(edited for spelling)

Edited by rachelsea
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

hahahasam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hahahasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 2:58pm
I have the same issue with my boy but not at every feed. Have a look at this article from La Leche League's website, it describes the exact issue I have with my wee boy. Hope it will be useful for you :)

http://www.lalecheleague.org.nz/template/articles__information/gaining_gulping_and_grimacing.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply