FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedimaginary friends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: imaginary friends
    Posted: 23 June 2011 at 7:29am
Is it normal for toddlers to have imaginary friends?

DD is 2.5 years and has just started talking to 2 different people all day long. She will tell them off etc. She has names for them.

I hear things like.....
"No ..... its Taylah's toy, please dont touch"
"are you coming ......., we are going in the car"
"Come play in Taylahs room with me"

just heaps of things like that.

After listening & watching her its actually like she sees these 'friends' and TBH it completely freaks me out.

DP thinks she has gone mental lol. But im still hoping its pretty normal.
Sponsored Links

KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 9:32am
I can't help because I have not experienced it with my son, but I do know my little sister had an imaginary friend who seemed as real as any other, except we couldn't see her. It freaked my mum too. Eventually she just stopped 'coming'.

I am quite fascinated by this topic, so am interested in seeing replies!
Two_Puddle_Ducks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two_Puddle_Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 12:47pm
My son doesn't do this but he has a little friend who has a friend that seems as real to her as anyone else. I wouldn't worry about it. It is a good imagination.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 12:59pm
i stood on Edens imaginary bear friend this morning! i told her to tell the bear to move so she did and then she "watched" the bear walk to the other side of the room. I was watching her eyes follow the path of the "bear".

it shows great imagination if you ask me to invent a friend to play with.

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 1:22pm

yes totally normal.

Ella doesn't have a specific imaginary friend but she talks to herself a lot when she plays makes up names etc for them.  At  times has a whole imaginary family. Last xmas she told us that she couldn't go on the family holiday with us because she had to go camping with her other family

Definitely helps with their imaginations and I find it really interesting just to listen her talk (you can learn a lot about what they thinking/feeling by listening to them talk to their imaginery friends)

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 1:37pm
It just shows that your daughter has developed a wonderful imagination, a great developmental stage. Definately nothing to worry about
Lindsey

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 12:52pm
They say kids are more intune with ahh spirits and stuff..

+1 May 09 Angel
NovMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 1:12pm
Oh yes totally normal as the others have said. My DD is 3 1/2 and has had imaginary friends for ages, I kinda think its cute, she's always there mumbling away to them and herself. Keeps her occupied too which is great
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 9:52pm
No imaginary friends here buy my 3.5 yo girls spent 3 months convinced they were 'Hairy MaClary' and 'White Doggie'. I was 'Black Doggie' and DH was 'Bottomely Potts' and they would refuse to answer to anything else
Thankfully that phased out but still weekly they will rename the whole family. This week I'm a giraffe!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 10:16pm
LOL tishy mine like being the chipmunks or ben 10 or spiderman...

kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 8:15pm
From a different perspective... I had imaginary friends! Two Chinese kids, a boy and a girl and they would come over when we had pizza. They eventually left. I only vaguely remember this, but my folks remember it. I'm pretty normal!

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 8:22pm
My DD2 has a couple of imaginary friends - Peter Maka and Wiki (dunno where those names came from?)... it cracks me up listening to her talking to them or blaming them for naughty stuff... it's completely normal

Edited by freckle
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
NovMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 1:34pm
Yep the animals think is hilarious, I am apparently a dog at the moment and am forever being offered bones! "They are pretend to be bones mum" lol
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 7:01am
I had two lol they were brother and sister jessica and dylan I remember them clear as anything. I knew they were imaginary but they were still my friends who came to play. I was a little old tho.
Anyway one day on their way here they had a bus crash (not sure why???) and never came again lol
Definatley think it makes for a great imagination, I was a fantastic story writer in school!
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 7:14am
Hmmmmm well its still happening. Although its mainly her telling them off. Or telling them not to do stuff. She hasnt blamed them for anything yet so i guess that might come next
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 7:56pm

I keep expecting it to happen, Fin has long in depth talks with certain teddies, I can hear him in his room doing it, and he then wants me to talk to them and if the teddy asks him to do something then he will do it, even though quite clearly its me saying it.

He is forever telling the teddy off putting it on the naughty step and then telling me what he has done and that he's waiting for said teddy to say sorry. I can very much see him having imaginary friends.

Our friends wee boy has one, has had for a while, can come up with the most amazing stories, less so now, he is about 4 now but for a while it was very funny.

][/URL]

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:02am
Clodagh has an imaginary friends called 'Meeks'. He doesn't turn up in person, they only speak on the phone (her toy one )lol

Post Reply Post Reply